PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McGowan or Chung 3rd safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn was Chung that bad last night?

Damn was Chung that bad last night?

He was putrid. But we all knew he was awful in coverage, so it's not a surprise.

Not sure why he keeps getting punt return opportunities. He sucks at that too.

Hopefully he can polish his coverage skills, otherwise he's going to struggle to get playing time

Dont know but just a hunch McGowan will be gone...I could be wrong,we will see

Based on the last 2 games, I would be pretty shocked if McGowan gets cut. He has looked solid on D and on special teams. Can't see him going for a guy like Ventrone (and they need a 4th safety)

CHUNG and it isn't even close.

He was putrid. But we all knew he was awful in coverage, so it's not a surprise.

Hopefully he can polish his coverage skills, otherwise he's going to struggle to get playing time

If I read correctly he was beaten by moss, moss isn't a great wr by any means but he is s small fast wr. Any in the box safety would struggle against a wr like that, whether your a rookie or vet. It's still a little dissapointing but Chung didn't have much of a chance.

When Chung improves enough so that he can cover an infant in a crib, I'll look to him as a backup. Right now, I'm praying the team doesn't need one.

Insane. Totally. He's not being asked to cover primarily. He does many thing well - man to man on quick little receivers is clearly not one of them. That's true of many safeties. He does many things well. He was tested against his biggest weakness last night, in a role he will play sparingly in this year.

Last edited:

This is all pretty extreme. Poor job covering Sinorice Moss, obviously, but he's had a very solid pre-season, his punt returns were decent minus that one flub. He's a hard and sure tackler. As for McGowan, the guy will likely make the 53, and he should, but he was a bubble player until recently. Chung will see a solid amount of time, is my guess.

i havent watched the game but from what i read..he was playing with 2nd/3rd stringers against 1st team of the giants. put him with merriweather,and our front 7 applying pressure and scheming and see where he fits. as bb says about bad plays always..its never one player's fault.

If I read correctly he was beaten by moss, moss isn't a great wr by any means but he is s small fast wr. Any in the box safety would struggle against a wr like that, whether your a rookie or vet. It's still a little dissapointing but Chung didn't have much of a chance.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that Moss would be a tough matchup for any S who doesn't have great cover skills. That said, Chung has looked awful regardless of whom he is covering

No way McGowan's getting cut. I had him making the team before Slater got hurt, but now it's a given. I'd bet money on it. In fact, right now I'd guess that he's the primary backup at safety if we need one. Chung will get there, but he's not ready yet.
Felt/Feel the same way.

I thought hes been just OK. I feel he has to work on 2 things on returns:
He needs to have better awareness when the ball is in the air, as a few times he has decided to let it bounce and the opposing team gets a good roll, instead of running up and fair catching it. A fair catch @ the 20 is much better than taking it from the 10.
And he needs to realize that he has to work up field on his cuts once he has the ball. Welker is amazing at it. Everytime he moves laterally, he also moves forward, which is why his 8-12 yard returns look good and are effective and chungs 5-8 yard returns look too much dancing. He does run tough though, mabye he can learn to run low like Welker does also.

This is all pretty extreme. Poor job covering Sinorice Moss, obviously, but he's had a very solid pre-season, his punt returns were decent minus that one flub. He's a hard and sure tackler. As for McGowan, the guy will likely make the 53, and he should, but he was a bubble player until recently. Chung will see a solid amount of time, is my guess.

Chung flubbed 2 punt returns, didn't he? He's looked good vs. the run, but a disaster vs the pass. Since he won't be used in coverage much this year anyway, I'm not concerned. But let's not act as if he has looked "good" overall. He has looked limited, which we knew when the Pats drafted him

Insane. Totally. He's not being asked to cover primarily. He does many thing well - man to man on quick little receivers is clearly not one of them. That's true of many safeties. He does many things well. He was tested against his biggest weakness last night, in a role he will play sparingly in this year.

Perhaps one day when you've watched a football game from 1990-present, you'll observe that safeties have to cover receivers at times. :p

Chung is very weak in coverage and needs to get much better at it before he's not a liability in the defensive backfield.

Because BB didn't want to play any of the guys who will likely be doing that in season. . . .

i havent watched the game but from what i read..he was playing with 2nd/3rd stringers against 1st team of the giants. put him with merriweather,and our front 7 applying pressure and scheming and see where he fits. as bb says about bad plays always..its never one player's fault.

I watched and rewatched the game. Chung got burnt by first, second, third, fourth stringers and twice by the ball boy.

Last edited:
Chung's still a wide eyed rookie, blinded by the bright lights. He'll come around.
I'd say McGowan, with his experience, will stay.

All this Lewis & McGowan cut-talk is overboard...

As mentionned in this thread, BB himself said he didn't know if those players (L & M) were really in a fight for a roster spot. McGowan is #3. Chung will hopefully make strides. We'll see.

Having Hobbs on one leg would be better than Chung.

The kid said today in the Globe how much he sucked.

You might have a clue if you knew what you were looking at... They were gauging Chung in a role he will likely never fill. BB does stuff like this in pre season so he will know what a guy can be used for in the crunch. Chung is a big hitter and he will be playing a very different role starting next week. When all the starters are playing...

You might have a clue if you knew what you were looking at... They were gauging Chung in a role he will likely never fill. BB does stuff like this in pre season so he will know what a guy can be used for in the crunch. Chung is a big hitter and he will be playing a very different role starting next week. When all the starters are playing...

Chung will never have to cover anyone on defense?

Chung will never have to cover anyone on defense?

In cover two not likely. Zo was talking about that this AM. He's going to be playing up with Sanders and Merriweather covering. I'm sure they want to see him develop better instincts so he can cover in a pinch, but he's not generally going to be going up against teams best WR's. They got this kid to be a big hitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back