PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McGowan or Chung 3rd safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowell33

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know many people had Chung ready to overtake James Sanders as starting safety. I think that talk is over. My question is, although Chung is certainly the future, if one of our starting safeties goes down in week one, who is your pick to replace him, Chung or McGowan?

McGowan is getting cut unless BB saw something on STs from him to keep him - I say he is out.

When Chung improves enough so that he can cover an infant in a crib, I'll look to him as a backup. Right now, I'm praying the team doesn't need one.

Chung cannot be the last line of defense. Not yet, anyway.

Can we ship McGowan with a TE to New Orleans for Darren Sharper?

Chung has been decent at safety this preseason. He was playing different positions last night including nickel as a try out for his versatility. Obviously he failed that test.

McGowan is getting cut unless BB saw something on STs from him to keep him - I say he is out.
So who would the 4th safety be, after Meriweather, Sanders and Chung, if McGowan is cut?

I don't think Chung sucking in coverage shows Sanders is better. I doubt Sanders is good in coverage too.

When Chung improves enough so that he can cover an infant in a crib, I'll look to him as a backup. Right now, I'm praying the team doesn't need one.

Yes I agree BUT...........Chung is supposed to be an incredibly hard worker, smart, and has good athletic skills. I have every confidence that he will learn to catch these punts and learn some coverage skills in the future. But I agree with you, right now, watching Chung is a little painful.

McGowan will be the #3, I think.

I agree. The hope is that Chung can be your third safety by the second half of the season. I still have real high hopes for Chung. But for the first half of the season I would go with McGowan.

Chung has been decent at safety this preseason. He was playing different positions last night including nickel as a try out for his versatility. Obviously he failed that test.

He's a rookie and he'll get better. I bagged on him earlier this thread, but I certainly expect improvement. This coaching staff will work with him and give him the knowledge. The rest will be up to him.

McGowan....he's earned it...give Chung some time to get acclimated and play some special teams.

Last edited:
So who would the 4th safety be, after Meriweather, Sanders and Chung, if McGowan is cut?

Dont know but just a hunch McGowan will be gone...I could be wrong,we will see

Dont know but just a hunch McGowan will be gone...I could be wrong,we will see

Who would you see as the 4th safety? Springs? That's a spooky prospect.

No way McGowan's getting cut. I had him making the team before Slater got hurt, but now it's a given. I'd bet money on it. In fact, right now I'd guess that he's the primary backup at safety if we need one. Chung will get there, but he's not ready yet.

Last edited:
for chung, ill cut the season into 3 parts...

for the 1/3 of the season, i imagine hes #4 on the depth chart

for the 2/3 of the season, i hope hell be the primary backup

and for the last third of the season, my hope is that him and Meriweather rip it up

I don't know about that...last night in his half-time interview with Steve Burton, McGowan was mentioned as someone trying to win a roster spot (along with Lewis) and BB replied I don't know if those guys are fighting for a spot. I don't know if that really means anything, but I thought it was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes