PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McGinest wants to come back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie, no one loves you like I do, but buddy...... we have to take a pass at this point.

I don't see any reason not to bring him to TC. I'd be surprised if he was still on the roster by the end of the preseason, though.

i would be happy with him comming back, he was one of my fav players.

Sorry Willie........shadow roster at best, and even that roster is getting deep at this point. BB is clearly re-tooling the defense. He will NOT go backwards.

I don't see any harm in bringing him back to see if he has anything left. He is a strong leader, and in case he's got nothing left, as was stated previously, he can retire as a Patriot if he wants.

We talk about getting all these players, Willie , JT, Peppers, Holt, has anyone noticed that we only have $3.75M going into 12 drafts???!! We're F'd! Unless someone goes.... but who?

Any thoughts?

I'm waiting for the first player in history to say, "No, sorry, nothing left in the tank."

Eh, out of nostalgia I would take him back but the guy is about to turn 37 and was not very productive at all last season with the Browns (aside from murdering Big Ben in that last game). Thanks but no thanks.

I disagree with this. His second to last game here was a playoff game in which he set a playoff record with 4 1/2 sacks.

J D Sal

But if you go back and watch that game, you'll see that at least a couple of those sacks came when Garrard ran into him trying to run away from other LBs.

He also he wants the Jets to get Cutler to create more competition with the Patriots

Willie belongs onthe Pats HOF roster not on the roster for the 2009 edition of the team. A great Patriots, sadly his time has passed.

i have been a real true Willie Mc Ginest fan but i have to admit that probably your are right with yr post

I think I may have just made a mess in my pants.

Holy crap, make this happen!

Nobody could give me crap again about wearing my Willie jersey to every game!!!

He has like 8 sacks in the last 3 years, and had all of 1 last year. He's not really a pass rusher anymore.

If not the biggest I'm at least top three biggest Willie fans in here. I even planned a trip to DC around when the Browns would be in town so I could see him play, got a ton of crap from skins fans for wearing my Willie jersey, almost got in a few fights. So, yes I'm a little biased. I think the Browns were giving him too many snaps. I think he could be productive if his snaps were somewhat limited. But, it's not just what he brings to the table on the field. Some people don't realize, but this guy was THE leader of those Pats teams he was on. He could be a great coach to some of the younger guys like Crable and Woods, and he'd be a great presence in the locker room.

GET IT DONE!!!

If not the biggest I'm at least top three biggest Willie fans in here. I even planned a trip to DC around when the Browns would be in town so I could see him play, got a ton of crap from skins fans for wearing my Willie jersey, almost got in a few fights. So, yes I'm a little biased. I think the Browns were giving him too many snaps. I think he could be productive if his snaps were somewhat limited. But, it's not just what he brings to the table on the field. Some people don't realize, but this guy was THE leader of those Pats teams he was on. He could be a great coach to some of the younger guys like Crable and Woods, and he'd be a great presence in the locker room.

GET IT DONE!!!

I must be one of the other three.:)
You make a good point about Cleveland using him in too many snaps.
He IS older and not as resiliant as he once was but I'll bet if you put him in on passing downs only, than he would give us some good production.
The Man is a beast.
Plus, I think Peyton Manning is truly frightened of him.:singing:
Say yes for Willie.

I agree that his days as an effective defensive player waved bye bye years ago, but that didn't stop us from signing Junior Seau, thrice.

The right place and situation already happenend.

It was NE and about 5 yrs ago. Thanks for the rings Willie enjoy your achievemnts good luck on the NFL Network big man.

First and foremost I have always been a huge fan of Willie Mac, but agree that he doesnt have much left. I also don't put much stock in what that idiot Channing "I don't know where London is" Crowder has to say. This reminds me of when Demarcus Ware stated that Ray Lewis would end up being a Cowboy and where did he sign, in Baltimore. When players try to play GM or coach, I don't know if they are having fun with the media or really think there statements are going to affect what the orginization is actually going to do.

To the posters who keep saying he has nothing left in his tank.
What do base this assertion on? His Age. Is that it?
Lack of sacks? Willie never did get a lot of sacks. His job was to set the edge and like every other lineman/linebacker had gap responsibility too.
Do you cry about Richard Seymours' lack of sack production too?
As far as coverage goes, can you actually say that you saw Willie blow coverages a whole lot...more than he ever did before he went to Cleveland.
Have you noticed we haven't won a Superbowl since he left? (Ok that's lame but I'm pulling for my guy here.)

To the posters who keep saying he has nothing left in his tank.
What do base this assertion on? His Age. Is that it?
Lack of sacks? Willie never did get a lot of sacks. His job was to set the edge and like every other lineman/linebacker had gap responsibility too.
Do you cry about Richard Seymours' lack of sack production too?
As far as coverage goes, can you actually say that you saw Willie blow coverages a whole lot...more than he ever did before he went to Cleveland.
Have you noticed we haven't won a Superbowl since he left? (Ok that's lame but I'm pulling for my guy here.)

As stated previously, watching him PLAY FOOTBALL for Cleveland. He is S..L...O....W! Happens with age.

I can understand pulling for Willie Mac, his contributions to the Pats while he was here will always be appreciated and his day will come when he enters the Pats Hall of Fame. That being said you can't honestly say that its wrong to look at his age and lack of sacks and think that he can still make be an impact player? His sack totals from the last four seasons '05-'08 combined have been 14 sacks which is the lowest totals for any four year split in his career. The previous four years he had 26 total sacks. He will turn 38 years old this year and watching him in coverage this year against the Texans was pretty awful. As for comparing his sacks to a 3-4 DE like Seymour you just can't do that. You will be hard pressed to find 3-4 DE's that continually accummulate more sacks than a 3-4 rush outside linebacker. I'm not saying saying that Willie Mac can't set the edge on running plays anymore, but is it worth bringing him in just to do that. I feel that if we can't pull the trigger on JT or wishful thinking Julius Peppers we would be better off drafting Larry English, Clay Matthews, or Connor Barwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back