McGinest wants to come back

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
per NFL Network

McGinest open to going back to New England
Free agent linebacker Willie McGinest still has some gas left in the tank — for the right situation. McGinest is a guest analyst on NFL Total Access this week, and took some time to chat with NFL.com fans. One of the most recurring questions — what is up for the 2009 season?

McGinest is up for the right team and right situation. That right team and right situation is the Patriots. McGinest twice made it known that he would love to return to New England where he won three Super Bowls. He even asked for one fan’s help to get into contact with Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

I think we will pass.

Willie McGinest, Linebacker
All I can say is that it has to be the right team and the right situation, Parkar. And the Patriots are on that list. You are asking some good questions, why don't you call Robert Craft for me and get that deal done.

Doh! Willie, you gotta learn how to spell the owner's name first:D

McGinest never looked like the faster player when he was out on the field yet he still made plays. It is intriguing to see if he has gas in the tank.

I would love to have him back...I am sure there is still a role for him....he is a pass rusher

I think he would be an alternative if Jason Taylor doesn't come to the Pats, or possibly on the shadow roster. 37 scares me a bit.

I would love to have him back...I am sure there is still a role for him....he is a pass rusher

He has like 8 sacks in the last 3 years, and had all of 1 last year. He's not really a pass rusher anymore.

He was cooked when he left, he was cooked when he was in Cleveland, and he's cooked now.

fork1.jpg

The only contract i want to see McGinest sign is a one day contract TO RETIRE as a Patriot!!!

There's definitely a role for him. And the role of Willie McGinest will be played by a top FA or draft pick.

He was cooked when he left, he was cooked when he was in Cleveland, and he's cooked now.

Not exactly but close. When the Pats let him go I was disappointed but I realized that part of the genius of BB is that he'd rather lose a player one year early than one year too late. He was a great Patriot but I don't see him coming back now.

The only contract i want to see McGinest sign is a one day contract TO RETIRE as a Patriot!!!

Just what I was thinking. Too many aging players think they can play only to find out the hard way that they can't.

Last edited:
I'd take him only for the vet minimum, or as an assistant coach. Otherwise, he's wasting a valuable roster spot.

fork1.jpg
I disagree with this. His second to last game here was a playoff game in which he set a playoff record with 4 1/2 sacks.

J D Sal

Willie is SO done. We have a need at OLB where we need fast, strong pass rushers. I specificly watched Willie in several Browns games and he's S..L...O....W. I would not waste a roster spot on the 53 even at vet minimum.

Willie did what he apparently had to do 3 years ago and now Bill is doing what he has to do. And the call Kraft line hasn't worked here since 1999...it's not his call.

Willie at best is shadow roster material and we'd be in pretty dire straits. He's behind Seau and Colvin and possibly Harrison on speed dial. Tell you one thing, he and RAC didn't do each other any favors.

If we got any $$ left after TC give it to Rodney if he still wants to play.

Willie belongs onthe Pats HOF roster not on the roster for the 2009 edition of the team. A great Patriots, sadly his time has passed.

I think he would be an alternative if Jason Taylor doesn't come to the Pats, or possibly on the shadow roster.

I'm not sure he'd be much of an alternative to JT at this point in his career but it's good to know he'd come back and help out if called. I'm a sentimental fool when it comes to those guys, especially Big Willie 55:D It's sorta sad if he's truly cooked and done :(

I would rather give the roster spot to Sidbury should we fortunate enough to draft him.

Willie belongs onthe Pats HOF roster not on the roster for the 2009 edition of the team. A great Patriots, sadly his time has passed.

Very well said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes