PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McGinest to be released...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I don't know of all the connections Ordway and company have, but they claimed that thhis was a given..that WillieMcG would be released..for sure...
NOT that I am surprised..but..certainty..VERY interesting what will happen today..besides no CBA

Pats726 said:
I don't know of all the connections Ordway and company have, but they claimed that thhis was a given..that WillieMcG would be released..for sure...
NOT that I am surprised..but..certainty..VERY interesting what will happen today..besides no CBA

It seems logical, but I take nothing Orbway and his cronies say for granted.

It all depends when his scheduled roster bonus hits the cap.

I am more sad at the prospect of losing Willie than I am of Adam.

This sh!t just makes me sick.

God damnit, work something out.

I highly doubt Willie is one of those "not one penny less" guys.

If they cut Willie they will be sending the wrong freaking message to this team.

He has been a huge part of this organization.

This just makes me sick to my stomach.

PHUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Dismissed as speculation.

There's no reason for McGinest to move on. Now that there's no cap for '07, we can easily get a deal done.

IF, it will be a sad day indeed.

I've heard the same thing all day. And because the media is saying than it definately is going to happen, I believe that it won't. Yes his cap hit is 8.3mil and tehy could save about 7mil by cutting him.

But, they can also restructure and save about 4 mil.

dryheat44 said:
Dismissed as speculation.

There's no reason for McGinest to move on. Now that there's no cap for '07, we can easily get a deal done.

That would be irresponsible thinking and I don't see the Patriots as an irresponsible organization. That kind of planning is reserved for the likes of the Colts and Redskins. The Patriots aren't going to put themselves in a horrible cap situation just because there possibly won't be a cap next season.

huskeralk said:
That would be irresponsible thinking and I don't see the Patriots as an irresponsible organization. That kind of planning is reserved for the likes of the Colts and Redskins. The Patriots aren't going to put themselves in a horrible cap situation just because there possibly won't be a cap next season.

Unless an agreement is reached in the next 6 hours and forty-six minutes, there won't be a cap in 2007. That's not a gamble, that's a fact.

sarge said:

If they cut Willie they will be sending the wrong freaking message to this team.

How would they be sending the wrong message? You can't pay a 34 year old LB $8 plus million for a season plain and simple. I'm sure they would like him to stay but if they can't reach an agreement, what other choice do they have?

huskeralk said:
How would they be sending the wrong message? You can't pay a 34 year old LB $8 plus million for a season plain and simple. I'm sure they would like him to stay but if they can't reach an agreement, what other choice do they have?

Exactly.

Face it this day was going to come sooner rather than later and the Pats were going to have to cut Willie.

At least now they have a built in PR excuse for having to do so ...... The (lack of a) CBA made us do it!

...and let us not forget that just because a player is cut (no bonus for you!) does not mean they can't negotiate and re-sign. Example: Troy Brown.

The Word is RESTRUCTURE. It can and should be done, unless Willie doesn't want to.

He can get good money for 3 years by RESTRUCTURE.

sarge said:

What'ss the big deal. People were saying Willie had to take a pay cut or be released a long time ago, way before the CBA stuff.

I doubt they are doing this to send a message anyway, so anyone reading a message is grasping.

The only time I ever thought the pats were sending a message with a cut was Steve Martin and Brooks Barnard. Eveyone else was purelyl business. (Unless that is the message: We will pay you what we believe you are worth."

Bobs My Uncle said:
Exactly.

Face it this day was going to come sooner rather than later and the Pats were going to have to cut Willie.

At least now they have a built in PR excuse for having to do so ...... The (lack of a) CBA made us do it!

Like they should need an excuse. People are idiots when it comes to this stuff. There is a cap, plain and simple, and teams need to work within it. That means players that are popular sometimes have to go. People will spew crap about loyalty, but the team has to do what is best for the organization. Players are hardly loyal in free agency anyway, and it's hardly like the players with contracts that necessitate these actions haven't made a ton of money anyway. Take less money to stay, be a good guy and still make millions, or be a mercenary and make slightly more millions is the choice, so I don't feel bad for anyone that chooses the latter.

dryheat44 said:
Unless an agreement is reached in the next 6 hours and forty-six minutes, there won't be a cap in 2007. That's not a gamble, that's a fact.

That's the point I'm making. To do something crazy with his contract to keep him here just because we won't have to pay for it next season is irresponsible. There will be a cap again eventually and if he's still under contract when that happens, it's going to catch up with us. I can't see Belichick and Pioli doing something like that.

It would be a shame for you guys to lose Willie. He's one of the first names I think of when someone mentions the Patriots. I've seen him do some interviews with his young daughter and he seems like a class act.

huskeralk said:
That's the point I'm making. To do something crazy with his contract to keep him here just because we won't have to pay for it next season is irresponsible. There will be a cap again eventually and if he's still under contract when that happens, it's going to catch up with us. I can't see Belichick and Pioli doing something like that.

Okay, I get you now. But I was thinking of a two year contract, 2006 and 2007. As long as we stay within the 30 percent rule, we should be fine. For example, if I understand this correctly (which isn't a given) We could re-structure Willie to pay him 3 million this year and 3.9 million next year.

To me, that's reasonable. He'll be seeing 6.9 of his 7 million and change, all guaranteed. And that would probably take him to retirement.

Does that make sense? It seems too easy, so I may be missing something. Other than Willie just saying no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey