PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McGinest: "Pats don't take care of their players that are still productive"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: McGinest "Pats don't take care of thier players that are still productive"

On Colin Cowherd Podcast..

Podcast: Former Pats LB Willie McGinest - AFC East Blog - ESPN

Must say his words are a little disrespectful but you have to agree with him for the most part.

This is BS. They offer what is fair for the team and ask the player to take a little off their top value to stay.

Tom Brady, Dan Koppen, Matt Light, Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Kevin Faulk were all resigned to deals that were drafted by us. I dont want to hear **** about Branch, Givens, Graham or ******* Law either. They offered good but not great contracts to all of the mentioned above players with Givens and Graham having a tough time between choosing where to go before inevitably taking the cash.

And please spare me the Asante talk as well dude got paid well more than we could have offered. Im glad some of you want to be hypocrits and sign a guy to millions of dollars yet still want Vince and then Peppers etc. You people need to open your eyes and make decisions for yourselves. You sign Asante a couple of years ago and your not keeping Vince this year, because you wont have the opportunity too.

Re: McGinest: "Pats don't take care of thier players that are still productive"

So so true.

But the Wilfork situation which I'll lump in Peppers has been a 2 year calculation. Seymour was traded and Ron Brace was drafted in order for Peppers to become a patriot.

BB is going to trade Wilfork. Not saying it's the correct decision but it's going to happen, same old song and dance and Willie is dead correct.

Must say his words are a little disrespectful but you have to agree with him for the most part.

No. I don't agree with him.

Branch was not worth his deal
Asante was not worth his deal
Willie Mac was not worth the deal he got in CLE
Givens was not worth the deal he got in TN
Pats couldn't do Sey AND Wilfork

Plenty of examples of the Pats locking up players long-term (Brady, Warren, Seymour, Koppen, Light, Bru, Vrabel)

You can make the arguement that they should have locked up Asante and Branch in 06 and 04 respectfully but for whatever reason it didn't happen.

The only guy that IMO BB should have done a 3-4 year deal with is Law and even that would have been a big risk for a CB who was on the wrong side of 30. Turned out he had some nice years. Oh well.

So tired of these ex-Pats who leave, get big $$ somewhere else and squak about, "not being taken care of" or were, "mistreated".

Last edited:

I always wondered how Indy can deal with guys like Wayne,Freeney,Harrison back then and also have to pay huge dollars to Manning along with paying the other 40+ players and rookies every year and still stay in the cap AND remain competitive with 12 or more wins year after year. - Some teams seem to keep their star players for a long time.

I would say we actually offered a contract to ty law for more than he was worth, he stupidly turned it down.

I always wondered how Indy can deal with guys like Wayne,Freeney,Harrison back then and also have to pay huge dollars to Manning along with paying the other 40+ players and rookies every year and still stay in the cap AND remain competitive with 12 or more wins year after year. - Some teams seem to keep their star players for a long time.

You just named the only players Indy has shelled out big money too of the past 10 years. You can count them on two hands.

Manning
Glenn
Saturday (a stretch)
Harrison
Freeney
Mathis
Wayne
Bob Sanders
Edge

Thats it. Everyone else is draft or low-end FA. They've let a ton of people walk. Edge, Both starting Dbs from the 06 team, Morrison...

Plus Polian gets bailed out every year with a rising cap figure.

Pats spend to 95-98% of the cap every year.

Sorry for the rant..

Last edited:

And the Browns paid McGinist for his productive years here and look what it got them.

Sometimes players don't realize that they are just a good fit for a team and should just be happy with a fair and reasonable contract. It is quite possible had he stayed he would of had a couple more productive years with the team that he knows.

No. I don't agree with him.

Branch was not worth his deal
Asante was not worth his deal
Willie Mac was not worth the deal he got in CLE
Givens was not worth the deal he got in TN
Pats couldn't do Sey AND Wilfork

Plenty of examples of the Pats locking up players long-term (Brady, Warren, Seymour, Koppen, Light, Bru, Vrabel)

You can make the arguement that they should have locked up Asante and Branch in 06 and 04 respectfully but for whatever reason it didn't happen.

The only guy that IMO BB should have done a 3-4 year deal with is Law and even that would have been a big risk for a 30+ CB. Turned out he had some nice years.

So tired of these ex-Pats who leave, get big $$ somewhere else and squak about, "not being taken care of" or were, "mistreated".

I think Asante has been a big loss....look at his year last year for the Eagles,He was definately missed the past 2 years.

You just named the only players Indy has shelled out big money too of the past 10 years. You can count them on two hands.

Manning
Glenn
Saturday (a stretch)
Harrison
Freeney
Mathis
Wayne
Bob Sanders
Edge

Thats it. Everyone else is draft or low-end FA. They've let a ton of people walk. Edge, Both starting Dbs from the 06 team, Morrison...

I am sure great drafting has a lot to do with that too - Polian is second to none in that department

I think Asante has been a big loss....look at his year last year for the Eagles,He was definately missed the past 2 years.

No doubt. He would of been worth the contract that the eagles paid him. He basically shuts down just about everyone he faces. It would be like having the Hayden kid but with years of experience on his belt. People are kidding themselves when they say good riddance about Asante. Atleast with Law we had Asante to fall back on who quickly emerged.

No doubt. He would of been worth the contract that the eagles paid him. He basically shuts down just about everyone he faces. It would be like having the Hayden kid but with years of experience on his belt. People are kidding themselves when they say good riddance about Asante. Atleast with Law we had Asante to fall back on who quickly emerged.

IMO Asante is just a heartbeat below Revis's level,definately a top 5 CB.

I sure hope the Eagles keep him and don't let the Jets grab ahold of him anytime soon :eek:

Last edited:

And the Browns paid McGinist for his productive years here and look what it got them.

Sometimes players don't realize that they are just a good fit for a team and should just be happy with a fair and reasonable contract. It is quite possible had he stayed he would of had a couple more productive years with the team that he knows.

So true. Works in the real world too. Comfort with the employer, job, career opportunity, etc...

Last edited:

His statement being correct all depends on what happens with Wilfork, IMO. Wilfork is in the prime of his career and is one of the best NT's in the game. On top of that, we let Seymour go supposedly to help work out a deal with the "most important player on the defensive side of the ball and second most important player on the team". Failure to hammer out a long-term deal will only give weight to his statement.

Asante was better in 08 than he was in 09 even though he had more picks.

Don't get me wrong. Wish Asante was still here and his 6-8 picks a season, but hes not worth contract he got from the Eagles. He is not a shutdown corner and you can win SBs w/o shut down CBs.

I am sure great drafting has a lot to do with that too - Polian is second to none in that department

It has everything to do with it.

Asante is not a shutdown corner. He gives up a lot of catches- especially last year.

With that said I wish he was still here- but not a $10m/per

IMO Asante is just a heartbeat below Revis's level,definately a top 5 CB.

I sure hope the Eagles keep him and don't let the Jets grab ahold of him anytime soon :eek:

There about 10 CBs that I would take over Asante.

Hes not even close to Revis. Thats crazy talk.

*ROFLMAO* BS.. Willie is just playing the hating game. If what he said were true, then the wouldn't have paid guys like Warren, Brady, Light, Koppen, etc.

Willie is just pissed that they realized he was done and cut him. He didn't do SH!T with the Browns but stink it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes