PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McGinest or Seymour? - Which would you want to see our #1 draft pick resemble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who don't remember Willie M was 6'5'' 255 when drafted not 270. Although it was fifteen years ago i still would think tht someone 6'5" 255 would be more agile than someone appx. the same hgt but in the 270-290 range.

Last edited:
In a battle btwn Willie Mac & $eymour, my winner is:

Willie Mac, esp. the 1999-2004 version.

For those who don't remember Willie M was 6'5'' 255 when drafted not 270. Although it was fifteen years ago i still would think tht someone 6'5" 255 would be more agile than someone appx. the same hgt but in the 270-290 range.
Perhaps when drafted, but by the time he settled into BB's 3-4 he looked all of 270.

everson griffen compares a lot to mcginest

i would rate him as one of the top 4 rushers of this deep draft
great edge setting ability too

In spite of my user name, gotta go with Big Play Willie, what a beast he was

I'm surprised Dunlap is falling the way he is, I have seen some mocks with him falling to the second. I would be happy if we took him at 22.

Skill set, Dunlap's attitude/work ethic may not match, but we're were talking similar size and skill sets.

A couple months ago Dunlap was my flavor of the week, and I viewed any film on him I could find. The guy looked so much like Willie on the field it was scary. As we all know, the question with him is his desire and work ethic.

McGinest was pretty much mediocre until Belichick arrived. I choose Semour because I don't want my first rounder to take 4+ years to fully develop.

Clearly you didn't watch Willie his first three years in the league before he started getting injured.

Great post. Now that we do not have any great [or even very good] linebackers, a lot of people get re-visionist and say that Belichick starts with the D-line in building his defenses. Not true. Anyone who's followed this team knows that the linebackers have been the most important cog in the Patriots' defenses since Parcells then Belichick arrived. And McGinest was the best of the best. I agree with the poster who used the word "desperately" in describing the need for another McGinest type LB. I think that's why BB signed Adalius to a huge [by our standards] FA contract, then gave away two valuable picks last year in a desperate stopgap measure in Burgess. It's why I also feel that this is the year that BB may finally break protocol and draft an OLB or DE hybrid with his first pick.

Thanks JMarr
I've been saying what you just said til I was blue in the face to any comers for the last few years. Our defense was at its best when we had playmaking linebackers. And not just a couple, I'm talking five or six of them. Our olb corp was at its best when we had a rotation of Willie, Vrabel, and Phifer. The only thing I'll agree with involving the whole BB starting his d on the line is that he feels that the easiest guys to evaluate in the draft are the "non-skilled" position players, so the o and d line.

From this roster we would only have one, MAYBE two, that would crack the rotation of the championship rosters. In other words, we need at least three more impact guys at the linebacker position. I'm holding out hope that McKenzie can be one. That leaves us with two spots IF our "ifs" pan out. Enter Brandon Graham and Carlos Dunlap (hey a man can dream can't he?!?)

(edit: only other question is Guyton. I'm not a huge fan, but I think he could continue to develop)

Last edited:
Your choice that if our #1 draft pick is a defensive player,which style of defensive player would you want this new guy to be close to resembling or comparing him as a clone of....

Willie McGinest or Richard Seymour?

DO NOT SAY BOTH...Only one clone please :)

Both ... with a little Mike Vrabel thrown into the mix.

Clearly you didn't watch Willie his first three years in the league before he started getting injured.

I thought Weak Willie was injured a lot early in his career. He had a hard time setting the edge even at 255 pounds. He got run over a lot.

That is why I think Dunlap at 270 plus pounds is perfect as the elephant OLB backer in our defense. He can set the edge and rush the passer, but he needs a boat load of help in coverage.

I think we need a McGinest more. It just seems he's been harder to replace. I think it's easier to find a DE to be stout vs the run and eat up blockers than an OLB that can do what Willie did for us. His play, intangibles, leadership, work ethic, and locker room presence are greatly missed and sorely needed.

Which is why I honestly feel Willie should get into the Hall

I think Suh is probably the closest thing to Seymour that I have seen in the last several drafts. He is incredible against the run and a decent pass rusher as well. Great motor and an intelligent player.

I think Dunlap is the closest thing to Willie on the field, but his immaturity off the field concerns me, but he is still very young.

A D line of Warren, Mt. Cody, Wilfork and Dunlap in the "elephant" or big nickel role (DE/OLB) would be scary good. Impossible to run against and with a decent coverage/pass rushing OLB opposite Dunlap, it would have the beef to get after a QB or two especially with Wright and Pryor replacing Wilfork and Cody on passing downs.

Richard Seymour. Harder to find an elite 3-4 DE than it is to find an elite OLB.
When was the last time BB drafted an elite OLB? :confused:

McGinest was never a "stud" but he became known as "Mr. Clutch" after BB arrived in NE. No matter what people say about their 2 gap scheme, D-lineman can only do so much, so it's up to the LB's to make the play. The Pats LB's have sucked since 2005. It's McGinest and it's not even close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back