PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McFadden's "Character Issue"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Last edited:
This isn't a big deal, he's gotten into some trouble with the law that was brushed aside because he was near the Arkansas campus. I also think he missed the start of the previous season because of a bar fight where he hurt himself. There are no red flags like Pacman, but there are definate character issues with him.

He got into a fight at a Night Club in Little Rock (I believe it was actually in the parking lot of the club), and needed surgery on his toe because of an injury he sustained during the fight. DMac then claimed he would change his ways, but was later involved with another fight at a "Piano Bar" in Little Rock.

“There’s going to be some stuff that comes out on that kid, I’m telling you,” one NFL head coach said. “Just watch. People are going to project him going way up here (among the first two or three picks) and then you going to hear about his behavior and then about this and that and whatever.”

Said another head coach: “He’s the best skill-position player in the draft, by far. But he has issues. He’s going to get a lot of questions from people, a lot of eyeballing to make sure he’s being straight with people and that they can trust him.”

Now he's had those off field behavioral issues, and he's already fathered 2-4 children. Sounds like he's made a number of bad decisions, and people are correct in their questioning his ability to keep out of trouble once he gets that huge NFL contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-mcfaddenconcerns022108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Last edited:
By my count he's been in two bar fights and still isn't old enough to drink yet. Yea, I'd draft him, if my colors were black and gold. BTW, I hope that in no way you were trying to compare him to Brady.

I love McFadden's character. He's exactly what I want in a rb or ilb, a macho stud who never backs down from anyone. This naturally leads to children out of wedlock, barfights, and 1500 yard seasons. Who the F cares? That's what all the money is for, to pay the women and the lawyers.

Last edited:
And how does dropping kids all over the country like Shawn Kemp make him any different from some other star players playing at an elite level in this league ? It doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Total gangster a**hole... whoever takes him is in trouble.

Last edited:
To me, his behavior is either A) irresponsible/thoughtless/same old stuff any other young guy could find himself doing with a few a mistakes or B) option A) + a sense of entitlement based on expections of being an NFL superstar. Which, to me, means, hell, WTF? I've got millions. Which is cool for him, for a while. It's not so cool for the team that drafts him if he pulls a Kemp manuever. Once the money is in the bank, the expected sense of invulnerability becomes reality.

Lawrence Philips. Maurice Clarett. Etc.

I'm not dooming the guy, but I'm not drafting him.

Because of this, I would not be surprised if this guy drops like a rock. I have a strange suspision that when Goodell steps to the podium to announce the 7th overall pick in the draft that pick will be made with Darren "Kemp" McFadden still on the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been to Arkansas lately? A guy with a job like that has em chasin...My first time ever there, I drove in and stopped at a Applebees to grab a beer and ask where a decent hotel was.....I wasnt there 5 minutes before a girl walks in with a baby basket, puts it down on the bar stool next to her......and DROPS THE BABY ON ITS HEAD on the floor!! That to me is all I ever need to know about Arkansas women. Well, that and Hillary,lol.

It will hurt him, absolutely. He doesn't have to be a "thug" or a "bad kid" to lose a ton of money...he just has to be enough of a question mark to make teams a little bit nervous.

Imagine you're running the $$multi-million business that is an NFL team. You have a high draft pick and have to hand a $40-million contract to a player who will instantly become one of the primary faces of your franchise. Are you sure you want that to be a kid who got into trouble in a series of bar fights and left behind a trail of illegitimate children, all before his 21st birthday? Especially when he plays a position that is uncommonly deep and talented in this draft, so you should still be looking at some outstanding prospects at the top of the 2nd?

Point to ponder: the #3-4 picks get three times the money of the #10-12 picks. Keep your noses clean, kids.

It will hurt him, absolutely. He doesn't have to be a "thug" or a "bad kid" to lose a ton of money...he just has to be enough of a question mark to make teams a little bit nervous.

Imagine you're running the $$multi-million business that is an NFL team. You have a high draft pick and have to hand a $40-million contract to a player who will instantly become one of the primary faces of your franchise. Are you sure you want that to be a kid who got into trouble in a series of bar fights and left behind a trail of illegitimate children, all before his 21st birthday? Especially when he plays a position that is uncommonly deep and talented in this draft, so you should still be looking at some outstanding prospects at the top of the 2nd?

Point to ponder: the #3-4 picks get three times the money of the #10-12 picks. Keep your noses clean, kids.

Yep. It wouldn't surprise me if he lasts to the Broncos at #12. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Mendenhall and/or Stewart drafted before him. Just a trail of bad decisions. If nothing else, If I'm a GM, I'm thinking that McFadden is probably going to want to renegotiate constantly for a new signing bonus to keep ahead of what is sure to be a large paternity bill each month. If you don't have the sense, as a highly-rated football prospect, to stay away from trouble (and this is regard to the fighting), you don't have the necessary intellect to play for me.

Last edited:
Go out there and have a good season,” he said. “There isn’t too much I need. It doesn’t take much to please me. As long as my wife and kids are healthy with a shelter over their heads and food on the table, I’m happy.
-- Ty Warren, on his plans for celebrating his contract extension.

When it's fourth and 10, you can have the milk drinkers. I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -- R.I.P. Max McGee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by dryheat44; Today at 10:56 AM.

So you think Max M. could play with him but Ty W cant?? ;) Those 2 quotes are a little contradictory.

Go out there and have a good season,” he said. “There isn’t too much I need. It doesn’t take much to please me. As long as my wife and kids are healthy with a shelter over their heads and food on the table, I’m happy.
-- Ty Warren, on his plans for celebrating his contract extension.

When it's fourth and 10, you can have the milk drinkers. I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -- R.I.P. Max McGee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by dryheat44; Today at 10:56 AM.

So you think Max M. could play with him but Ty W cant?? ;) Those 2 quotes are a little contradictory.

I like to think that one quote speaks to what type of player I want on the field, and the other what type of player I want off the field.

There isn't a bigger McFadden fan (as far as the runner is concerned) on this board then myself, but even I have to admit, where there is smoke there is fire.

Troubles like these are signs of bigger deeper and more disturbing problems, 9 out of 10 times.

Let Al Davis deal with McFadden. Maybe behind that OL, McFadden matures into a real man........... while on the trainer's table for 15 plus weeks of every season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back