PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McFadden to the Jets??? I'm gonna be sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ever mock ive seen that has showed the jets getting mcfadden, it has been the decision for them to either take him, or gholston, and if from those two choices the jets decide mcfadden, i would be really happy, seeing as to how that will allow us to take gholston

I'm ok with the Jets taking McFadden, but I think a LOT of you guys are really underestimating him. McFadden's mix of quickness, speed, and vision is exactly the kind of thing that gives the Pats defense fits. Especially since our linebackers are older and less mobile. If McFadden gets to the outside, forget about it. Better pray that our new corners can tackle well, cos DMac gets to the 2nd level in a hurry.

Running behind an improved OL (the Jets have invested heavily in it recently both in free agency and the draft), DMac is going to terrorize the division for at least the next 5-6 years. BTW Maroney is the one with the injury issues not DMac, so I think you are getting your RBs confused. McFadden carried the rock over 300 times last season, proving he can handle the role of a team's lead feature back.

The fact that he's carried the rock so many times in college can actually be a bad thing. Also, Maroney was very durable in college, and had games with 24-40+ carries (he carried the ball 281 times in 2005). He's also never had the type of fumbling problem McFadden currently has.

Arkansas was a running team, and Felix Jones actually had 133 carries, with Hillis adding another 57 carries. So, McFadden was the main back, but it was a shared backfield, and Felix Jones actually had a much better YPC than DMac.

You already know this though, as I posted all this info (and more) when you were advocating McFadden's selection during the 2007 season.

Last edited:
Arkansas was a running team, and Felix Jones actually had 133 carries, with Hillis adding another 57 carries. So, McFadden was the main back, but it was a shared backfield, and Felix Jones actually had a much better YPC than DMac.

Wow, you managed to undermine your argument in the same paragraph. Outstanding. You already said that Felix Jones only carried the ball 133 times for the season. Don't you think it's a lot easier to accumulate a higher YPC when you have less carries?

McFadden was the general purpose back, that means he's in there for nearly all situations, including short down and distances that will negatively affect his YPC, but if he gets the 1st down who cares? But hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good McFadden bashing. :rolleyes: Jones is a talented and quick back, but he piled up that YPC in 1/3 the carries, and likely most of those carries were not in short yardage, stack the line defense situations. McFadden faced 8 in the box regularly and still averaged nearly 6 ypc.

McFadden 2007
1,830 yards 325 carries 5.6 ypc 16 TDs

Felix Jones 2007
1,162 yards 133 carries 8.7 ypc 11 TDs

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=52121

Wow, you managed to undermine your argument in the same paragraph. Outstanding. You already said that Felix Jones only carried the ball 133 times for the season. Don't you think it's a lot easier to accumulate a higher YPC when you have less carries?

McFadden was the general purpose back, that means he's in there for nearly all situations, including short down and distances that will negatively affect his YPC, but if he gets the 1st down who cares? But hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good McFadden bashing. :rolleyes: Jones is a talented and quick back, but he piled up that YPC in 1/3 the carries, and likely most of those carries were not in short yardage, stack the line defense situations. McFadden faced 8 in the box regularly and still averaged nearly 6 ypc.

McFadden 2007
1,830 yards 325 carries 5.6 ypc 16 TDs

Felix Jones 2007
1,162 yards 133 carries 8.7 ypc 11 TDs

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=52121

First, I said McFadden was the main back, but 133 carries and 1,162 yards of production is a pretty good single season sample size for a college RB. It's not like he ran the ball 30 times and had a 7 ypc avg.

Also, his career totals eqaul out to 386 carries with a career avg of 7.6 ypc. That's very good production over a good amount of carries, especially for a rotational RB.

Hillis got some of those short yardage carries, so DMac's avg wasn't hurt to the exent you'd believe. Also, if Felix Jones has a career 7.6 YPC, and Hillis has a career 4.8 ypc, don't you think it suggest something about Arkansas O-line, and offensive system that goes a little deeper than McFadden?

Also, I'm not alone in my opinion regarding McFadden's legs, running style, and power. During the 2007 season when you were b*tching about Maroney, and wanted McFadden, I said DMac goes down on first contact to often, doesn't have a RB's build, runs to upright, and fumbles. You then said I didn't know what I was talking about, and so on. Just this past month Mike Mayock has been saying the same exact things (He goes down on first contact, he doesn't like his build, thinks he has a fumbling problem, and runs to upright). So, I guess Mayock doesn't know what he's talking about either, right?

Last edited:
No matter what the Jets are going to get a talented player 1 pick ahead of the Pats.

McFadden could be the next Barry Sanders or he could be the next Blair Thomas. Regardless the Jets have a lot of needs that's why they are picking #6.

It has been said before that without a decent QB they will not be a threat in the AFC East.

Great D + no QB = Baltimore
Great Back + no QB = Detroit (Barry Sanders Era)
Good Backfiled + Great D + no QB= last years Bears
Great Back + Good D + Good QB = San Diego

Are the Pats really going to be threatened in the next 3 years by any of those types of teams? Maybe SD.

No matter what the Jets are going to get a talented player 1 pick ahead of the Pats.

McFadden could be the next Barry Sanders or he could be the next Blair Thomas. Regardless the Jets have a lot of needs that's why they are picking #6.

It has been said before that without a decent QB they will not be a threat in the AFC East.

Great D + no QB = Baltimore
Great Back + no QB = Detroit (Barry Sanders Era)
Good Backfiled + Great D + no QB= last years Bears
Great Back + Good D + Good QB = San Diego

Are the Pats really going to be threatened in the next 3 years by any of those types of teams? Maybe SD.

I would say the Jets with McFadden would be most closely comparable to Detroit. Great RB, no QB. Well Pennington is nominally a QB, but his days are numbered. Assuming that Atlanta drafts Ryan, the Jets are better off waiting till round 2 or later to take a QB, if they even plan to take one. McFadden or Gholston would be the best fit for them at the #6. McFadden probably makes more sense since their current RB is a JAG, and they already paid big money for Pace.

I very much doubt that if the Jets do draft D-Mac that BB will have sleepless nights over it. Yes, McFadden wil improve the Jets, but we are still a far more talented team. I would even go as far to say as I am glad we have Maroney rather then McFadden.

I very much doubt that if the Jets do draft D-Mac that BB will have sleepless nights over it. Yes, McFadden wil improve the Jets, but we are still a far more talented team. I would even go as far to say as I am glad we have Maroney rather then McFadden.

If McFadden is drafted by a team with a decent offensive line, I expect him to crack the 1,000 yard mark his rookie season. In fact I expect him to outproduce Maroney in 2008. How do you care for those odds?

Last edited:
I would say the Jets with McFadden would be most closely comparable to Detroit. Great RB, no QB. Well Pennington is nominally a QB, but his days are numbered. Assuming that Atlanta drafts Ryan, the Jets are better off waiting till round 2 or later to take a QB, if they even plan to take one. McFadden or Gholston would be the best fit for them at the #6. McFadden probably makes more sense since their current RB is a JAG, and they already paid big money for Pace.

I agree that the Jets with McFadden are most like the Lions with Sanders, but I don't think McFadden is a good a back as Sanders. That means the Jets with McFadden are still a bad team. The Sanders Lions weren't exactly dominant :)

Jets would be stupid to pass on McFadden their skill positions suck.

I say they'd be stupid to draft him. RB at #6 is a horrible value. I hope they draft him. Really, is McFadden going to hurt us? If he ends up being 1/2 the back Curtis Martin (third rounder) was, I'll be surprised.

If the jets take McFadden I think all pats fans should be far from sick. That means that Gholston will be available for us. Considering he is probably the only prospect worthy of 7th pick money I would be incredibly happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back