Welcome to PatsFans.com

McDonald v. City of Chicago begins TUESDAY

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

The Supreme Court will rule on McDonald v. City of Chicago, a case in which a Chicago resident has challenged that city's handgun ban as unconstitutional.

But the case goes much further than the typical bickering over the Second Amendment. That's because it has more to do with the 14th Amendment than it does with the Second.

the 14th Amendment which states that "no state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States."

Supreme Court gun case could imperil basis of state laws | Raw Story

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Meh, I'd say if the people of an area wanted no guns they ought to be able to have their way, but the Constitution says what it says.

Anyhoo the crime problems that brought these laws into existence seem to be a thing of the past. I read in Newsweek not so long ago that the Homicide rate in NYC is down an astonishing 80% from its all time high. Not every area shows that kind of improvement, but crime is way down. The fact that this is happening in the middle of a severe recession breaks all the rules. People aren't stuck in the same shooting gallery they were back in the 80's and so its hard for me to get worked up over this issue.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I hope the 2nd Amendment wins out here, as it should.

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pesky thing that Constitution, huh?

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Great post ...
    this case is huge and hopefully Americans are paying attention to this case.

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

agreed, this case is shaping up to rule on MUCH more than just the 2nd amendment.

I always find it odd that people want to hold on to their GUNS more than they want to hold on to their 4th and 8th amendments .... This case seems to be bringing up the 14th under the guise of the 2nd.

DON'T BE FOOLED PEEPS!

either they all are sacred, or none.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I hope PFnVA is watching this one and remembers my posts on Democracy vs Republic. Our founding fathers were not in favor of democracy and that is why they formed our country as a republic. Our government will slowly erode our individual rights and state rights as they consolidate power. If they win this one other states rights cases will follow and more easily at that.

For all the faults with the tea party people ... they are on to this and more will join them over time and the party will build and become mainstream.

Eventually it will be the people vs the government and it will not be a pretty sight. Holy diver hits the nail on the head when he says they are all sacred ... because they are ... this case is way huge.

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are people who think the biggest challenge to ObamaCare could be on Constitutional grounds. That is, it would be unconstitutional for the government to force people to enroll in plans or whatever. Now, obviously, ObamaCare is a federal deal so this particular case probably wouldn't address that point, but I am sure a lot of people will be watching nonetheless.