McDaniels: We're not going to put up 13 points tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Big Ben, Brett Favre, Matt Cassel shine in Week 12 - Peter King - SI.com

Coach of the Week

Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England. In Week 3 at Foxboro, the New England offense was absolutely embarrassed, held to 215 net yards and 13 points in a 25-point loss to the Fins. Cassel was sacked five times. Fast-forward to Saturday night at the Patriots' hotel in Fort Lauderdale, before the rematch. McDaniels stood in front of his team and said: "We're not going to put up 13 points tomorrow. I can tell you we'll put up a lot more than that.''

Prophetic -- with a very good reason. In Week 3 Cassel was a game-manager. In Week 12 McDaniels knew he had a game-winner. He was aggressive in his play-calling, directing Cassel to gun downfield early and often. Cassel told me after the 48-28 victory: "The gameplan was brilliant. His gameplans always blow me away, but this one was so good. Josh is an outstanding coach. I learn from him every week.''

The Patriots, with McDaniels orchestrating the show, had 530 net yards in the revenge win over Miami. I said this on NBC last night: I don't know a lot about the pro football landscape of 2009, but I do know this: Josh McDaniels will be one of the 32 head coaches in the NFL.

Re: McDaniels:We're not going to put up 13 points tomorrow

McDaniels is a good OC who comes in with good game plans. He has also done a phenomenal job with Cassel. But he still is slow to adjust mid-game if his game plan isn't working. And he still chokes in big games. We have had a dominant defense the past 3 years but our season ending offensive drives have been pitiful. He is like Marino or Peyton in that he is good, but chokes in big games, and whenever we come up short the blame is always on execution or individual players, never on the OC because people think his game plans are always 'perfect'.

Gotta give McDaniels credit where it is due. He has definitely done brilliant work this year. He deserves a HC job. Maybe Weis and Crennel will be fired and we can bring back the old dogs

Gotta give McDaniels credit where it is due. He has definitely done brilliant work this year. He deserves a HC job. Maybe Weis and Crennel will be fired and we can bring back the old dogs
I saw Peter King yesterday (forget which game/show) just about stake his reputation on Josh being one of the 32 head coaches in the NFL in 2009.

Thats the attitude I like about our OC. Like John Madden said "When you have a player like Moss, you take what you want" and with that being said, our OC, Cassel and Moss can be dangerous!

Maybe this is just me, but from watching videos the guy also comes off as a douchebag, one of those ****y arrogant guys, and I think his play calling reflects that. He repeatedly goes shot-gun and telegraphs that it is a passing play because he doesn't think anyone will stop it anyways. His slow adjustments are probably also a reflection of the fact that he doesn't like to deviate from his game plan once the game starts. He rubs me the wrong way the same way guys like Peyton and Marino act like they're hot stuff, when despite amazing offensive stats they always come up short in big moments.

You gotta love what McDaniels has done this year. He has really shined when faced with what people said was an undaunting task of running this offense without Brady. People said this would be the real test for McDaniels this year and I don't know how you can say he hasn't passed with flying colors.

My biggest fear is the McDaniels haters will get their wish and McDaniels leaves for greener pastures after this season for a head coaching gig. I think that will be when people will truly appreciate this guy.

As much as we have seen a maturation of Cassel, we may have seen the same thing with McDaniels this year.

Maybe this is just me, but from watching videos the guy also comes off as a douchebag, one of those ****y arrogant guys, and I think his play calling reflects that. He repeatedly goes shot-gun and telegraphs that it is a passing play because he doesn't think anyone will stop it anyways. His slow adjustments are probably also a reflection of the fact that he doesn't like to deviate from his game plan once the game starts. He rubs me the wrong way the same way guys like Peyton and Marino act like they're hot stuff, when despite amazing offensive stats they always come up short in big moments.

I'm starting to get the idea the term "telegraphing" as it relates to football is a mystery to you. I never thought I'd hear anyone claiming McDaniels was telegraphing, lol.

you always seem to have a problem with mcd and OC and playcalling. We won 18 games last yr and even yesterday's game with that.I know you will bring the giants game but how many teams did that to us last yr? 1 in 19 ?. It works.There is no point in running the ball for no gain. And maybe the QB likes it better to sit in the shotgun and read the defense off a WR spread.
Honestly iam not the most +ve guy on the board but give them credit when the do something good . Dont bash them all the time.And above all, this is BB's team, he moulded this offense with the players and working with meyer also i think so it isnt that Mcd invented this spread offense.

Last edited:

Thats the attitude I like about our OC. Like John Madden said "When you have a player like Moss, you take what you want" and with that being said, our OC, Cassel and Moss can be dangerous!

I can't find the quote now, but I heard on the radio this morning that Jason Ferguson said that the Dolphins were stimied at the beginning of the game because they weren't prepared for the Pats to be in the shotgun and spreading out the offense and they couldn't figure out how to stop it. That is what I like about McDaniels. He finds that weakness and isn't afraid to just continue to exploit it.

I can't find the quote now, but I heard on the radio this morning that Jason Ferguson said that the Dolphins were stimied at the beginning of the game because they weren't prepared for the Pats to be in the shotgun and spreading out the offense and they couldn't figure out how to stop it. That is what I like about McDaniels. He finds that weakness and isn't afraid to just continue to exploit it.

Miami Dolphins never really had a fighting chance against Patriots - Miami Dolphins - MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins, you see, spent much of last week expecting the Patriots to try to run at their defense. They expected the Patriots to brawl, yes, but they expected that brawl to come from an ornery ground game set on protecting a young quarterback from making mistakes.

Well, the Patriots opened the game in the shotgun formation and threw the ball 10 consecutive times. New England blew Miami's expectations and preparation out of the stadium when they used the shotgun set with four or five receivers 18 times in the first quarter alone.

''That shocked us,'' nose tackle Jason Ferguson said.

The shock eventually wore off but the Dolphins still could mount little pass-rush with their defensive lineman. So the Dolphins were forced to blitz to get pressure on quarterback Matt Cassel. They brought cornerbacks and linebackers to remind him he's Matt Cassel and not Tom Brady.

My all-time favorite examples of this:
(1) Faulk run up the middle on four consecutive downs against the JEST in their 2006 playoff game.
(2) Brady-to-Welker on five consecutive downs against the Steelers.

And if Belichick had a philosophical objection to over-using the shotgun, you think he's going to sit by and say, "Well, I can't really tell Josh what to do, he IS the OC..."

Come on. McD calls the plays, but BB has a lot of input into the gameplan. If you're going to blame one you have to blame both. But given we scored 48 points and were only stopped when we stopped ourselves yesterday, I'm having a tough time finding flaw in his playcalling. Perhaps YOUR gameplan would have scored 50? :rolleyes:

I'm giving him credit, no doubt he has done amazing work with Cassel and is generally a good OC who comes in with good game plans.

In terms of telegraphing, he does this *a lot*. There is little deception in what he does. He loves formations where the defense already knows it is a pass or a run. It worked great last year because he had the personnel, but we had difficulties starting after last year's Ravens game because teams were keying in on our plays and knew what we were doing, and we did them anyway.

I do see that he has improved as an OC this season, and I hope to see him pull out a grinder of a game in the playoffs where he had to win by deviating from his game plan.

If King is right and McDaniels is gone next year I wonder who our OC will be. Pete Mangurian seems to have the best background of those on staff and Belichick tends to promote from within.

My all-time favorite examples of this:
(1) Faulk run up the middle on four consecutive downs against the JEST in their 2006 playoff game.
(2) Brady-to-Welker on five consecutive downs against the Steelers.

Yeah, I loved those too. People complain about predictable play calling, but there is nothing more emotionally crushing to a defense than knowing what is coming at you and knowing that you can't stop it anyway. I think that is far more efective than catching a defense offguard with a trick play.

On one hand I think the article is a LITTLE too generous towards the credit for McDaniels. On the other hand I'd really hate to lose him as a coordinator for next year, especially right as Brady gets back.

Come on. McD calls the plays, but BB has a lot of input into the gameplan.

Belichick gives TONS of leeway to his coordinators, look at how different our defense has looked under Romeo, Mangini, and Pees. During games Belichick basically doesn't even tell McDaniels what to do, the OC is running the show.

As I said, McDaniels comes in with good game plans, like we saw yesterday. I am speaking generally that he still has flaws, such as in-game adjustments IF it isn't working.

I saw Peter King yesterday (forget which game/show) just about stake his reputation on Josh being one of the 32 head coaches in the NFL in 2009.

Yea, That was on Football night in America - I heard that too.

How about Charlie and Romeo back in 2009? It's possible.

On one hand I think the article is a LITTLE too generous towards the credit for McDaniels. On the other hand I'd really hate to lose him as a coordinator for next year, especially right as Brady gets back.

Well, McDaniels seems to get a lot of blame for when things go wrong on offense whether it is in his control or not. So it is only logical that he would get more of the credit (at least in some circles) when things go right. I do give the players a lionshare of the credit as I do when the offense fails, but I do really like what McDaniels has done this year.

McDaniels didn't catch that amazing one handed catch by Moss on the sidelines. He make Cassel make the heads up call to pull the ball down and run the ball on the first TD. McDaniels did put the players in the position to make those plays, but the players still need to execute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes