PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall, I'm surprised that they fired him before the end of the season. The Cutler thing, thbbbt, Cutler was a big baby jackhole about the whole thing.

Per Denver official Twitter, Josh is a goner.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! F' him......ever since he tried to throw BB under the bus after HE and his staff got busted for the video crap.....he is dead to this Pats fan......guy was way overrated to begin with.....but I am sure that thanks to his lineage to BB....he'll catch on somewhere in college or pros as a OC after awhile.......

Per Denver official Twitter, Josh is a goner.

I give him 3 big fist pumps ... or should i give him 5?

in any case at worse he will become one of the better OC's in the league so he'll be fine.

Last edited:
Overall, I'm surprised that they fired him before the end of the season. The Cutler thing, thbbbt, Cutler was a big baby jackhole about the whole thing.

that's why they used to put the "N" in Cutler ... he's a huge jack wagon.

Bowlen likes to see himself and that organization as being as clean as they come.

...with the exception of the mandatory Chop-Blocking 101 class that all rookies must take and pass.

The Cutler and Marshall moves were smart.
Thomas has looked good, and many teams passed on Bryant.
It's way too early to evaluate Tebow.
Hillis has a fumble problem which scares most coaches.
Ayers was always expected to be a problem.

If McDaniels was fired, and it was for the above reasons, Bowlen needs to get out of the sport.

Firing a coach after less than 2 seasons is almost always a mistake.

Agreed. The Broncos have absolutely been bad a year-plus, but Cutler and Marshall haven't exactly lit the world on fire since leaving Denver. Orton and Lloyd have been better than the guys they replaced. The only truly indefensible move, even in hindsight, is the Hillis-Quinn trade. It didn't make sense at the time, and it definitely doesn't make sense now. Not sure to what extent McDaniels is to blame for that, and how much of it falls on Xanders.

No sense in firing McDaniels for personnel moves when he isn't the GM, and whatever say he had over personnel was probably misplaced in the first place. His fire-able shortcomings were as a coach, not a front office guy.

Last edited:
I hope he doesn't find his way to San Diego. Rivers and McDaniels together could be dangerous.

boo...don't want mcdaniels anywhere near sd

he wouldn't do as much for rivers as norv has

mcdaniels just isn't good as a HC, no ex pat coordinators are

Wasting a first rounder on Tebow and trading for Maroney were almost enough of a reason to can him without taking anything else into consideration,

Never stood a chance here in Denver. Cutler was traded since the owner wanted him gone due to disrespect. Don't blame Josh for that one.

Denver fans hated BB and the Pats so much they mostly never gave Josh a chance. Even when he won they never came around.

The Spygate II deal was the last straw I guess. Bowlen has to pay 3 coaches next year and I never thought he would do that but Spygate was too much for him.

I never understood why anybody thought he would fare any better than the previous members of the BB coaching tree, which were more qualified and experienced than him. I gave him 3 years, he lasted 1.5 haha. That said, I thought he made out very well with the Cutler and Marshall trades, contrary to popular opinion. Cutler is winning in Chicago but Orton has outplayed him. And he got 2 1st rounders. What he's doing with those picks is another story though :bricks: And Marshall was a good trade too, WR is one of the most expendable positions in this offense, it's more about finding guys that are on page with your QB than having a beastly talent like Marshall, and I think Denver has those now judging by Orton's #'s. He made out well in both trades. But that still wasn't enough to offset the other piss poor decisions.

I'd gladly take him back here as an assistant, depending on how BB feels towards him personally after Spygate II. You never know when BOB is going to get his HC offers, I'd be nice to have someone like JMD to step in instead of taking another season to let someone learn on the fly.

Last edited:
Not really suprised, fanbase turned and you cannot have empty seats in Denver that just doesnt happen.

Never liked him much as OC and he was in over his head. Obrien is coming along way and is less pass happy that Mcd IMO. You have t run to setup the pass and rest the D.

McDaniels replaced the icon in Denver who won them their first and second championships. The owner said he and Shanny were best friends and had tears in his eyes when he announced his decision.

Given any of these taping insider reports credence, and I really don't, the worst thing would be dressing down your staff in front of the owner. If he in fact referred to Belichick and systemic practices, I believe he flatly denied that claim as that would be in the context of a walk-through and has not to date been confirmed by anybody (I believe the NFL reserved the right to reopen the investigation if that confirmation ever surfaced). If he mentioned systemic taping as to signals, that is the closest analogy and is a matter of public record, so he was likely saying there is precedent and people will lose their jobs for not heeding that lesson. In any event, it was said during a staff meeting and not intended as a public statement so not knowing what Belichick says in private meetings I do not know if that would be inappropriate.

Cutler was the right move (he is an inferior version of Favre, meaning he makes fewer plays and just as many mistakes). Tebow is a question mark as this has not been a great year to see what he can do. Marshall is a head case and inconsistent, so that was a good move as well. Orton was a good move and has performed. The team lost pretty much all its intended running backs for the season and Dumerville. I think Bowlen screwed this up big time.

And I wonder who was responsible for the hiring of Eric Studeville in January, the guy now serving as head coach? 43 years old, with no coordinator experience at all. If it wasn't McDaniels, then the axe may well have been raised by Bowlen almost a year ago and the running backs coach job was a tryout for Studeville.

Last edited:
Maybe BB's most devious ploys.

McD did his job. Broncos are now at least 5 years behind.

EDIT: LOL!!!!!!! Listening to Cowherd now, and he subscribes to my theory! :)

He's saying that it was Belichick who convinced McD to trade 3 draft picks to move up and get Tebow in the first round knowing that Tebow is garbage!!!!!

:)

Last edited:
I thought this was really interesting:

Hubris was never in short supply for McDaniels. As one NFL assistant coach put it recently: “Josh really believes that he’s the reason Tom Brady(notes) has been such a success. Not that he helped Tom, that he made Tom.”

Never mind that Brady had won two Super Bowls before McDaniels ever coached him. Taking credit for Brady’s success, such as his 50 TD passes in the 2007 season, was just par for the course for McDaniels. Randy Moss(notes)? Wes Welker(notes)? Nah, it was all McDaniels.

“I know [former New England assistant and current Kansas City offensive coordinator] Charlie Weis is ****y,” the assistant coach said, “but Josh makes him look bashful.”

What happens to Tebow after McDaniels' firing? - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

McDaniels completely threw Belichick under the bus over SpygateII. Screw him.

People say Belichick has an ego but BB really doesn't. McDaniels seems to have a massive ego.

Exactly. I can't believe people actually want this clown to come back. Don't need him or want him, thanks.

Comparisons between McD and BB are scarce--they both came from coaching families, and I guess you could say both "failed" in their first HC jobs. (although to say that BB f***ed things up in CLE anywhere nearly like McD set Denver back for years is mistaken).

Josh was a small part of the Pats offensive success in 2007, but he crapped the bed as an OC when it counted the most and was unable to make even basic adjustments in that game.

Anyone know where this supposed reputation as a genius developer of QBs comes from? Brady? What did Josh have to do with making TFB what he is? Cassell? Have to think that the Patriot Way and learning from Brady for 4 years had more to do with Cassel than Josh did.

Josh is actually more the anti-Belichick and anti-Patriot Way than most fans of this organization want to admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes