Welcome to PatsFans.com

McCourty vs. Lions: Thrown on 7 times for 2 completions for 13 yards and two INTs

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Not that I am a fan of ProFootball Focus, but they did have an interesting stat:

Re-Focused: Week 12, Patriots at Lions | ProFootballFocus.com

I know if you go to the Jets board you will hear how overrated McCourty is and how he gets burnt all the time, but he did better against Megatron than Revis did (granted Revis had Matthew Stafford for most of his game and he only allowed one completion too although for more yards).

I really wish the Pats would allow McCourty to shadow the primary WR like they let Law do from time to time back in the day and how the Jets do now. McCourty is playing at or near a Pro Bowl level the last few weeks.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Sam Bradford plays for the Lions? ;)
  3. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

McCourty Island
  4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Sorry, confusing young QBs. Matthew Stafford. Stafford. Bradford. Aren't they the same guy?

I will change it.
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Both have had shoulder issues. So yeah, I can see how one would confuse the two. :cool:
  6. Calciumee

Calciumee PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I got really confused! I was thinking 'isn't Megatron Johnson's nickname?'

He was close, Bradford and Stafford are both places in UK :)
  7. Danny

Danny Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

In other words: Devin McCourty is the balls.

:rocker:
  8. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He has been more than a pleasant surprise, and we needed it.
  9. 624

624 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Unlike McCourty, Revis was on Calvin Johnson the entire game with Stafford at QB for 98% of it, his COMPLETE statline was 1 catch for 13 yards.

Megatron had 84 yards and a TD with the backup QB throwing against the Patriots. (I know Devin wasn't on him the whole game, but since he wasn't that ruins the point)

McCourty is already an awesome player, and on his way to being elite....but it's stupid to say he did better than Revis.
  10. Sivy

Sivy Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Revis lost all respect when he faked that injury right after Moss made him his bit*h.
  11. Whorod

Whorod Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Man I wish Bodden hadn't gotten hurt. He would be the perfect solid CB compliment to a potentially budding star in McCourty.
  12. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    Revis went Novak Djokovic went he was beaten like a rented mule by Moss.
  13. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That may well be the case. With all the extra time that we have had off, it is inevitable that we will see another level of complexity installed on defense.

BB gave the team 4 days off, but I will wager you he gave himself none, and has had a head start on tape breakdown, and those four days are "voluntary" e.g., players are not going to be barred from coming to the facility if they want to do some "extra work."
  14. Sivy

Sivy Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He was smart though..he played if for a few games after to make people think he was faking..but we know better dont we revis...yea, we know better.
  15. SuperPatsFan

SuperPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I wonder how often coverage will be rolled away from McCourty's side Monday night?
  16. karguy85

karguy85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't keeping McCourty on the right side is as big a problem playing against the jets. The jets have too very good WRs with different skill sets. Braylon is big, physical and a vertical threat where Holmes is just a great playmaker with great hands and instincts (though I know most people here think Holmes is better and I do agree but the difference is not that great). I have heard that Sanchez has trouble when he throws to the left side of the field and when he rolls out that way (though I am not positive and any stats to back that up would be great). Having McCourty on the right side of the field takes away Sanchez's strong side and forces him to throw it to his weaker side (which also happens to be our weaker side) and hopefully forces him into a couple mistakes.
  17. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#32 Jersey
    If I recall correctly reavis left that game with....
    [​IMG]
    3RD DEGREE BURN!
  18. andrewgarrr

andrewgarrr Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Jets were a PAT away from losing that game. Good job Revis!

Seriously?
  19. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Knowing McCourty is the Best CB on our current Roster i want him on Santonio Holmes. If they let Holmes roam free it could be a very long night for our Defense. I fear him as a wideout as much as i do Reggie Wayne he's cut from the same mold...they can change the game in an instant granted their QB's have time. Put your Best on their Best!
  20. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I actually believe this to be very true. You just don't here as much about Revis anymore since that Moss grab/"OH NO MY HAMMY HURTS".
  21. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Great point. I dont think isolating McCourty against the opponents number one threat would necessarily work against the Jets since they have a few threats, not one stud. Like you said the majority of Sanchez's completions are to the right side and over the middle. With McCourty occupying the right side this almost takes away the right side and forces him to throw to the left, which proves to be difficult for him. The one problem I could see is over the middle especially with Keller, the Pats struggle with covering TEs and especially the middle.

As for McCourty I think his rookie year is not the to give him that responsibility of covering the #1 WR every play. He is still developing and learning the game at the pro level. I think it is something BB will consider this off season though. From what I have read McCourty is very into the game and watches a ton of film and I think he would be ready to be assigned the #1 WR next season.
  22. karguy85

karguy85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

While most of his touchdowns have come to the left he only completes 50% of passes to his left as opposed to 60% to the right, so I'd say he is still have some trouble. I don't think touchdowns to the right or left is the best measure of whether he has improved or not. That slant to Santonio Holmes in overtime to win the game was to the left side and was not a terribly hard pass to make. That results for 20% of his td passes to that side (1 of 5). Plus the play was lined up on the left side of the ball so it really wasn't him throwing to the left side of the field from the middle of the field. I still think its a fairly good strategy.
  23. karguy85

karguy85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't think its negligible at all... He is a 50% passer to his left, a 49% passer over the middle and a 60% passer to his right. That is a big difference. Meanwhile Brady this year is a 66% passer to the left, a 64% passer over the middle and a 72% passer to the right. With someone like Brady it probably doesn't matter much, but thats a big dropoff for Sanchez.

Additionally you don't need to get defensive over us talking strategy. We are just saying that since that is Sanchez's weaker side, hopefully the patriots take advantage of it.
  24. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

since we have the article up, on this thread what about this bit?

"Not for the first time this season, we’re a little disappointed with the play of Sebastian Vollmer (-3.4). He had his struggles with Cliff Avril and Ndamukong Suh in giving up four quarterback pressures but was also comfortably the worst Patriots lineman when it came to run blocking. Last year we couldn’t help but heap praise on Vollmer, but he’s played like a different guy in 2010."

would you attribute that to vollmer playing RT rather than LT?
  25. karguy85

karguy85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't doubt that he is improving in that area, and I think it has a lot to do with better decision making (more than anything else). But my point was just that it was his weaker side, so having McCourty on the right side, hopefully the patriots could force him into a couple mistakes to that side.

Hypothetically if a qb is the completing 100% to the right side and 95% to the left you still gameplan to force him to throw it left even though he is stellar from that side as well. Weakness is relative against the player's strengths.
  26. O-T-I-S

O-T-I-S Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Watching McCourty develop this year has been fun. Especially when I get to turn to my idiot friends and say "now do you agree with the pick?" every time he makes a play. He's looking like a future lockdown corner, which is invaluable in today's pass-happy NFL.
  27. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

No I would attribute it to Pro Football Focus being awful.
    Not to say I graded the film of his play, but Pro Football Focus comments on his play have zero impact on my opinion, positive or negative.
  28. Bonzo

Bonzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

McCourty is sure gonna be something. It's been said time and again, but judging from his college stats (6 ints in four years), I didn't expect him to be leading the AFC in picks--not in any year, but certainly not in his rookie season.

I think our pass defense stats would be looking A LOT different with Bodden on the other side. (Still wager we'd be 9-2, though.)

BTW: Is anybody else amazed that McCourty recorded his conference-leading 5th interception a mere month after the very first of his career? He's really come on quickly.
  29. karguy85

karguy85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think the fact that he didn't have a lot of picks at Rutgers was because he was such a shutdown corner in college that the ball was rarely ever thrown to receivers he was covering. In college football, especially at a program like Rutgers, the difference in talent between a number one corner with a lot of NFL upside and a number 2 can be huge. Why pick on the guy going to go early in the draft instead of the guy who won't be drafted at all?
  30. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    I don't need to see any stats to see the improvement of McCourty as the season has progressed. He's gone from draft pick to starter to nullifying defender to ball hawk in the space of 11 games.

Let's hope his improvement continues to rise and Leigh Bodden is back to 100% next season. Bodden + McCourty is a salivating prospect.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.