PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok these announcers are atrocious but so is the local media. But when is somebody, anyone going to question the coach on his personnel decisions. Are you trying to tell me the people out there now are better than Merriweather, Sanders, Butler, Wilhite and I am tired of hearing the announcers talk about the depleted secondary the coach is the one who depleted the secondary. I would just like to know why?

Good question, and that is exactly what everyone should be asking. If this team had Sanders and Meriweather, it would be looking like a SB favorite right now.

He is worse than Wilhite and Darius Butler. Seriously.

No, he's not. That is you talking out your rear end. OH WAIT. I forgot.. talking out your rear end in your modus operandi..

He'll look better with Chung back

Until Chung gets hurt again.....but that is for another day.

McCourty was tight on coverage a lot of the time today, he just never made the play for the ball until the end of the game.

Way to many yards against them. I don't care who the safety is. Jabar Gaffney and Donte Stallworth shouldn't be getting that many yards.

jeez, when people turn on a player, they really go overboard.

McCourty played pretty well in the second half. He really struggled in the first, but he didn't get much safety help when he should have.

He should have had a pick today.

The PI call was really, really, inexcusable, but I'd rather see him on the field then off.

Right you are.....saying otherwise is simple excuse making....BB is touted as a defensive genius......and I know it takes talent to implement game plans....but keeping MCty is darn near insanity.....

What is insanity is people like yourself and the ignorance who started this thread claiming to know something about football. McCourty had ONE blown coverage today. Yes, he had the PI, but considering how the officials were so friggin hit or miss, I don't blame him. Beyond that, he actually played very well, including 2 passes defenses and what should have been an interception if not for the BS call on Carter.

If this team had Sanders and Meriweather, it would be looking like a SB favorite right now.

I agree. Instead, Belichick chose Barrett and Brown as his #2 and #3 to go with Chung.

Until Chung gets hurt again.....but that is for another day.

McCourty was tight on coverage a lot of the time today, he just never made the play for the ball until the end of the game.

Way to many yards against them. I don't care who the safety is. Jabar Gaffney and Donte Stallworth shouldn't be getting that many yards.

Why not? You act like those two guys suck as WRs. I have news for you, Gaffney is a good WR and Stallworth has tons of speed still. Not to mention the one catch with McCourty draped on him was just a great play. God forbid you actually give the other team credit for making a play.

I agree that McCourty has struggled, but with the caveats that he's hurt and has help from probably the worst starting safeties in the NFL.

I thought he was okay in the 2nd Half. But obviously most here are right and a simple eye ball test will tell you he is not near what he was last year. Even then, I think its too early to give up on McCourty for many reasons that I hope the coaches agree with me on.

1. We need to keep in mind that the kid is obviously playing hurt. The commentators even pointed out on the last drive how he was hanging his right arm and refused to even move it much like Ihedigbo.

2. Many agree he is better in zone coverage. This year he is being picked on because of a new more oriented man defensive scheme.. and to add to that they didnt get an offseason.

3. Its not like any of other corners on this team are that much better than McCourty and theres no way a guy off the street would play better than him. The simple reason is because none of the corners are getting any safety help. Our pathetic safeties might as well not be there.. hence our corners routinely get burnt.

4. Lastly I think a very underrated aspect of our corners struggling is that they dont practice against legit WRs. We dont have one guy on this team that is a legit #1. Obviously other than Welker none of our WRs get open and even then Welker is not a true split end since he doesnt have the size or speed. Gronk and Hernandez are great but they are TEs. I think none of our corners are getting the type of competition from our lacking WR corps in practice that they face on gamedays.

Last edited:
I didn't see the first half, but McCourty looked like his old self in the second half. I was really encouraged.

The defense was terrible, but McCourty made a few plays to stall drives in the second half. ANY Patriot who can make any play to stop any drive, even once a game, should be immune from criticism on this board right now.

What is insanity is people like yourself and the ignorance who started this thread claiming to know something about football. McCourty had ONE blown coverage today. Yes, he had the PI, but considering how the officials were so friggin hit or miss, I don't blame him. Beyond that, he actually played very well, including 2 passes defenses and what should have been an interception if not for the BS call on Carter.

You're not really blaming that PI call on the officials, are you? That was one of the easiest calls they made all day. It happens, and there's no point in raking McCourty over the coals for it, but let's call it what it was.

v5W2B.gif

Wilfork is great against the run BUT, he gets very little push up the middle. Week after week, opposing QBs are stepping up into the pocket and into their throws.

You're not really blaming that PI call on the officials, are you? That was one of the easiest calls they made all day. It happens, and there's no point in raking McCourty over the coals for it, but let's call it what it was.

Clearly you have a problem reading english. My swipe was at how PATHETIC the refs were today and how it was a coin toss as to whether they'd actually call a penalty or not. McCourty thought he could get away with it since the Refs were blind to all the defensive PI and offensive holding going on right in front of them by the Redskins players.

Wilfork is great against the run BUT, he gets very little push up the middle. Week after week, opposing QBs are stepping up into the pocket and into their throws.

Except that Wilfork was lining up at DE more often than not in the 3-4...

There is no sugar coating it anymore.

Don't know what happened to the guy but he went from a dominant shut down corner to a guy who can't cover anyone.

Just awful.

Was there something about "please don't start threads during the game", that you didn't understand?:eek:

Now if your knee jerk thread was about that long pass, DMC had good coverage. It was the the safety, Slater, who just stood there and did not come over to help.

And BTW, Grossman made a perfect pass and Stallworth an excellent catch. Maybe because they are professional football players.

It was the the safety, Slater, who just stood there and did not come over to help.
Meanwhile Bill Belichick cut James Sanders so Matt Slater (as well as Sergio Brown) could play safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back