PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty signed per Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea if Matthews would fit this system. I haven't watched enough Packers games to know that. The Packers do run a very different 3-4 defense than the Pats do. The Packers run an one gap, blitz happy defense. The Pats run a two gap, read and react defense. Doesn't mean Matthews wouldn't be as good or better in this system, but it means just because he excelled in that defense doesn't mean he would excel here. The fact I don't know his playing style enough, I cannot even guess either way.
I remember the questions about all three of the LBs last year. Matthews was how did he get so big so fast, was it juice? In hind sight i wish we had taken him, i'm sure BB would have found a way to tap into his talent. But still there were lagit questions about him and the others.
In the post you responded to Riddler had an obsession with Ray M last year, this years its Bryant. If Bryant does well he'll remind everyone how we could have had him EVERY week.

Last edited:
I remember the questions about all three of the LBs last year. Matthews was how did he get so big so fast, was it juice? In hind sight i wish we had taken him, i'm sure BB would have found a way to tap into his talent. But still there were lagit questions about him and the others.
In the post you responded to Riddler had an obsession with Ray M last year, this years its Bryant. If Bryant does well he'll remind everyone how we could have had him EVERY week.

In fairness, I did go back and look at The-Riddler's posts, although "Rey-Rey" was his primary obsession, he did biatch a lot of Matthews too.

No, he's actually The_Riddler's new Clay Matthews, another sure fire miss by BB, who again at the time was another need as we continue our search for starting OLB's or are you still high on Shawn Crable and the value of that 3rd round pick ?

You weren't harping at all about Clay Matthews until the end of last season. I can't count on both hands and both feet how many times I saw you complain about not drafting Maualuga. And no, I think Crable should be cut, actually.

The Patriots took the pick that became Matthews (along with a 5th round pick) and turned it into Butler, Tate and Edelman, and a 2010 2nd round pick which, along with a 2010 6th round pick, was turned into Gronkowski.

How the hell is that supposed to be a bad move by the Patriots?

Thanks for saving me the trouble of having to hunt that down. I don't suppose Riddler will be responding to that.

Last edited:
The Patriots took the pick that became Matthews (along with a 5th round pick) and turned it into Butler, Tate and Edelman, and a 2010 2nd round pick which, along with a 2010 6th round pick, was turned into Gronkowski.

Any player drafted by another team who ends up being good is a bad move by the Patriots.

Any player drafted by another team who ends up being good is a bad move by the Patriots.

God damn not getting Peyton Manning! What a terrible move!

God damn not getting Peyton Manning! What a terrible move!
The difference is they didn't have chance to draft him and had Bledsoe.

The difference is they didn't have chance to draft him and had Bledsoe.

Difference is I was being sarcastic and against what Jack had put!

difference is i was being sarcastic and against what jack had put!
ok..... How about one of these :rolleyes: Anyways there was talk here of trying to get manning when he came out.

I was just being sarcastic.

Last edited:
You weren't harping at all about Clay Matthews until the end of last season. I can't count on both hands and both feet how many times I saw you complain about not drafting Maualuga. And no, I think Crable should be cut, actually.

Kontra, I started day one after the draft about missing out on both of the SC backers (Matthews included). It's over now, we move on and still look for an OLB with long blond hair who can get after the QB, drop back in coverage and play 3-downs, oh wait.......BB pissed that away, especially now that Chicken Legs hit the road.

Again, talk about the trade down and it bringing back whomever, Butler, Edelman and Tate, first of all, what has Brandon Tate done? I wouldn't even include him in the arg, Butler went through some rough patches last year and wasn't half the impact that Matthews was on that GB defense. This sounds like the Bruins trade of Joe Thornton for lower quality, higher volume.....Um I'll pass on the volume and take the "one" shiny impact nickle every time.

Enjoy the Dez Bryant and Clay Matthews highlights this Fall....................

Last edited:
Kontra, I started day one after the draft about missing out on both of the SC backers (Matthews included). It's over now, we move on and still look for an OLB with long blond hair who can get after the QB, drop back in coverage and play 3-downs, oh wait.......BB pissed that away, especially now that Chicken Legs hit the road.

Again, talk about the trade down and it bringing back whomever, Butler, Edelman and Tate, first of all, what has Brandon Tate done? I wouldn't even include him in the arg, Butler went through some rough patches last year and wasn't half the impact that Matthews was on that GB defense. This sounds like the Bruins trade of Joe Thornton for lower quality, higher volume.....Um I'll pass on the volume and take the "one" shiny impact nickle every time.

6a00d834515e9269e20120a750927f970b-500wi

Is this half empty by any chance?

Butler came along fine at the end of last season and looks to be a great addition this coming year. He'll also most likely fill the #2 CB slot opposite Bodden unless McCourty sets the world on fire (which I'm sure you're hoping he won't do). Edelman had an excellent year as a rookie in a new system learning and playing a new position and looks to be the team's slot receiver of the future opposite Welker. Tate hasn't done anything yet, but showed flashes of promise as a deep threat last year and got behind defenses. For what it's worth, Brady's high on him. But I'll be the first to tell you not to get overly optimistic about guys you haven't seen play yet. Gronk has the size and the tools to be the TE we've been looking for for years. Him emerging will only make passing on Matthews, a one trick pony who is a liability in coverage and didn't appear to set the world on fire against the run last year either, even better.

Easily. He has football speed.

Do you know what Jerry Rice's 40-time was?

mate i agree with what your saying talent wise and yeah bryant could be great. But you also can't deny that he has character issues (something the jets don't seem to mind btw) and instead we went McCourty someone who the guy as your display photo had top 3 on his board.

So while i do love the riling up i am happy with McCourty and Price instead of Bryant.

I always love looking at this stuff a year or 2 later. I am sure mathews is a great player. But if someone asked me did i want mathews or Butler, Tate, Edleman, Gronkowski. I will take those 4 any time, it's why i love it when bill is doing his trade backs and gaining value when everyone on the board is screaming no. It's painful at the time but i think it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes