PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty or Kyle Wilson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the take on why we got Wilson: We need that man-press corner to cover them speedy slot receivers that beat us all day last season, especially in the playoffs. Wilson clocked in at a blazing 4.42 40-yard dash time, in addition to a remarkable 25 bench press reps at the NFL combine. The 5'10", 190-pound cover-man possesses a rare blend of speed and strength. One analyst had this to say

ESPN's scouts talked about what needs work:

Anyhow, I can't compare him to your guy who I know very little about. But he has a great mentor in Revis who I can tell you took Wilson under his arm from day one.

Remember the song Scarecrow sangin the Wizard of Oz ... "if i only had a brain"

Does Kyle Wilson have a brain?

If measurables count for so much what about Gholston?

NYJetsfan

You got Wilson because the Pats past on him.

:)

he's got pretty good upside. Devin looks to be a stud thou. Solid Preseason imo..... Very good last game for DM. He will get better.... I am impressed thus far:)

Kyle who?

Just a slight over reaction here...

I'm just going to add... Wilson had almost no safety help, he struggled of course but i think if you put McCourty in Wilsons spot monday he would have had a tough game too... Was impressed with McCourty tho

I could argue back with the fact that McCourty was the #1 CB and was up against 2 of the best downfield receivers in the NFL, ever.

Wilson was the 3rd CB on that roster. He struggled against Boldin but was rarely in position against the above WRs either.

I could argue back with the fact that McCourty was the #1 CB and was up against 2 of the best downfield receivers in the NFL, ever.

Wilson was the 3rd CB on that roster. He struggled against Boldin but was rarely in position against the above WRs either.

McCourty was one of my favorites before the draft, and I posted about him in the draft section here, before the draft. So, I'm not playing an "after the fact" game. I watched film of both CBs before the draft, liked them both, but liked McCourty more, and said so at the time. I saw Wilson getting out of position much more, and I saw him getting faked out and having to get back into the play alot more. He DID get back into the play, so appeared very athletic, but I liked McCourty more. McCourty also seemed more physical. All that said, McCourty simply looked better after one game, so there is a long way to go until anybody can say for sure who pans out. I'm thrilled with the early results.

McCourty won week one, but it is too early to declare him the better CB. It was like the Jets fans who declared Wilson better because he played well against Sanchez, Rex Grossman, and Matt Moore.

McCourty >>>>>>> Wilson will make Mayo >>> Gholston look close.

I expect both to be good picks and have a fine future. To consider Wilson a failure after one game is ridiculous. Perhaps it will be more reasonable to make such comparison after two or three or even four years (as we keep on comparing Maroney and Addai).

Yes, McCourty is a stud and was better able to be a Day One starter. That's why we drafted him. And no, I don't think that the jets got the leftover. They might very well have drafted Wilson over McCourty.

I expect both to be good picks and have a fine future. To consider Wilson a failure after one game is ridiculous. Perhaps it will be more reasonable to make such comparison after two or three or even four years (as we keep on comparing Maroney and Addai).

Yes, McCourty is a stud and was better able to be a Day One starter. That's why we drafted him. And no, I don't think that the jets got the leftover. They might very well have drafted Wilson over McCourty.

Not according to the Rutgers coaches. They said the Jets were all over McCourty and were ready to take him.

With the Jets game approaching, do any Jets fans want to take another stab at this debate?

I don't think the debate was so much McCourty vs Wilson but was more of McCourty vs Dez Bryant.

After watching all 3 of those players, I feel good that we took the best of those 3 players. Bryant's talent is undeniable but his attitude and and understanding of the game leaves a lot to be desired. For those of you that missed the game or missed this part of the game.

Dez Bryant has a day to forget | ProFootballTalk

From the JetsJerk:
"Wilson clocked in at a blazing 4.42 40-yard dash time"

WTF? McCourty was a 4.3 guy and you could see it on his return. He walked away from their DBs. He is an elite athlete; the fastest on the Patriots and he has to be one of the fastest in the NFL. He also has lightening fast hands that he uses to poke the ball out of the receiver's hands and he hit like a ton of bricks. He and Suh must be right up there for DROY.

If the Jets really were lusting after McCourty then BB was playing a dangerous game by trading down since the Jets could have jumped in front of them. Maybe he figured that the Jets did not have a lot of picks to use for trading up. Note however that the Patriots trade downs were very very fruitful; Denver must feel like dorks now that they realize that the Patriots used the 4'th they got for their round 1 tradedown for Hernandez. Ha Skippy; put that in your pipe and smoke it.

From the JetsJerk:
"Wilson clocked in at a blazing 4.42 40-yard dash time"

WTF? McCourty was a 4.3 guy and you could see it on his return. He walked away from their DBs. He is an elite athlete; the fastest on the Patriots and he has to be one of the fastest in the NFL. He also has lightening fast hands that he uses to poke the ball out of the receiver's hands and he hit like a ton of bricks. He and Suh must be right up there for DROY.

If the Jets really were lusting after McCourty then BB was playing a dangerous game by trading down since the Jets could have jumped in front of them. Maybe he figured that the Jets did not have a lot of picks to use for trading up. Note however that the Patriots trade downs were very very fruitful; Denver must feel like dorks now that they realize that the Patriots used the 4'th they got for their round 1 tradedown for Hernandez. Ha Skippy; put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I'm a huge McCourty fan, and he is pretty fast. However, he is not the fastest guy on the Pats, nevermind the NFL.

I'm a huge McCourty fan, and he is pretty fast. However, he is not the fastest guy on the Pats, nevermind the NFL.

McCourty ran a 4.38 at the NFL combine this season. The other "fastest" Patriots based on 40 yard dash, would be Woodhead who ran a 4.33 and 4.38 forty yard dash at his private workout, and Taylor Price who ran an on campus 4.26 forty ( measured hand held ), the same forty was measure 4.33 electronically.

Wilhite matched with a 4.38 combine as well.

McCourty is not the fastest Patriot, be he is one of the fastest.

McCourty ran a 4.38 at the NFL combine this season. The other "fastest" Patriots based on 40 yard dash, would be Woodhead who ran a 4.33 and 4.38 forty yard dash at his private workout, and Taylor Price who ran an on campus 4.26 forty ( measured hand held ), the same forty was measure 4.33 electronically.

Yes, he is fast.

Slater is also faster.

Last edited:
After 11 games McCourty is the better player. Not even close. :mad:

Interesting but you may be comparing apples to oranges. The combine times always seems slower than private workout timings. I still think he is the most athletically gifted player the Patriots have.

Interesting but you may be comparing apples to oranges. The combine times always seems slower than private workout timings. I still think he is the most athletically gifted player the Patriots have.

Yes, this is a much better arguement. Wes Welker, Troy Brown, and Dave Meggett all had slow 40 times, but are all extremely quick in small areas.

If your argument is that McCourty is both quick and fast, you have a very strong point. ( Possibly Woodhead is quicker and faster )

Agreed also on your point about combine / workout times. Some times are run on fast rubber tracks with the wind, etc.

Taylor Price who ran an on campus 4.26 forty ( measured hand held ), the same forty was measure 4.33 electronically.
You sure? I thought Price ran a 4.4 flat.

You cannot accurately judge someone's football speed from one 40 yard dash time. Unfortunately, this is often all we have. From watching them run in practice, Slater has excellent straight ahead speed, while Woodhead--God love him-- will not run away from any DBs. Even accurate timed speeds may not always reflect on field speed (Jerry Rice was an example).

But the thread is about McCourty, and this guy has completely surpassed my admittedly naive expectations. He is not only fast--real fast--he is having the best rookie year of any CB who has worn a Pats uniform since Mike Haynes. He has had an amazing trajectory and right now I think he compares favorably with Ty Law (as a rookie).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back