PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty or Kyle Wilson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, dollar for dollar, I think Wilson so far has proven to be the better pick. But that doesn't mean he will end up being the better pick. Its just an initial observation having watched both so far. Of course I'm taking last nights loss to the Rams into consideration and I've yet to see how Wilson will perform tonight against the Redskins. Anyhow, tough loss for the Pats last night but if there's any consolation it's that the Jets were 10 times worse last week IMO.

Well, of course the debate is over after McCourty has played three preseason game and Wilson has played two.:rolleyes:

Seriously, how can you tell anything at this point. Besides, McCourty is playing LCB and Wilson is playing RCB. McCourty is typically facing the #1 WR (and did a great job covering Roddy White last week) while Wilson is typically facing the #2. Also, the Jets have had a better pass rush so far which obviously makes Wilson's life interesting.

It is far too early to tell who is going to be the better pick. We probably won't know for several years. I like what I have seen so far with McCourty and he has the tools to be a great CB. he needs to work on his consistency.

Obviously, we will have to wait to see how the season plays out before we know the answer. However, there is one nice tidbit I happen to know. The Jets were going to take McCourty and not Wilson with their pick on draft day. So until the season plays out the point is moot except the Pats got the player the Jets wanted. LOL

Obviously, we will have to wait to see how the season plays out before we know the answer. However, there is one nice tidbit I happen to know. The Jets were going to take McCourty and not Wilson with their pick on draft day. So until the season plays out the point is moot except the Pats got the player the Jets wanted. LOL

Do tell more Mr Rutgers Fan! DId DMc get a call from the Jets?

Two posts since you've joined... both of them about McCourty. I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the board, Devin. Don't take last night's game too harshly. You're a rookie and you'll improve. Hey, can you get me some tickets? :D

One thing about McCourty is that he's a great, great character guy. I don't know what kind of guy Wilson is, but all other things being equal that a big plus.

Wilson has all the opportunity in the world to look like the better CB. With the Revis holdout he'll be starting, and with the way the Jets blitz they can make Earthwind Moreland look like a shutdown corner.

For Mccourty, I'd be happy if he can be a solid cover guy on passing downs and make a significant contribution to ST this year.

Wilson has all the opportunity in the world to look like the better CB. With the Revis holdout he'll be starting, and with the way the Jets blitz they can make Earthwind Moreland look like a shutdown corner.

For Mccourty, I'd be happy if he can be a solid cover guy on passing downs and make a significant contribution to ST this year.
I disagree. Heavy blitzing makes a corners job easy when they get there, and very tough when they dont. A bad corner never looks good on heavy blitizing team because the times he is burnt stand out and the times his coverage didnt matter dont

Two posts since you've joined... both of them about McCourty. I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the board, Devin. Don't take last night's game too harshly. You're a rookie and you'll improve. Hey, can you get me some tickets? :D

Nah, just a Rutgers alum who has met DM a few times and will be rooting for him every week, especially twice a year when they play those clowns from the Meadowlands.

DM had a rough night yesterday, but part of that was a lack of pressure on the QB. The Pats need to either get better play up front or do a great job of disguising blitzes. Otherwise, DM might have a hard time as a rookie.

As a more physical CB, McCourty faces a steeper learning curve than Wilson does. One preseason game, especially with how good McCourty has looked in the others, does nothing to change my opinion on him, and I'd take him over Wilson any day.

As a Fresno State fan, the only thing I know about Wilson is that he can't catch Ryan Mathews in a footrace.

McCourty got caught out of position a few times last night, but he shows the capability to recover quickly. Once he learns the position enough to stop thinking, he could be very good.

This is my expert opinion after 3 meaningless games.

I disagree. Heavy blitzing makes a corners job easy when they get there, and very tough when they dont. A bad corner never looks good on heavy blitizing team because the times he is burnt stand out and the times his coverage didnt matter dont

How good do corners look on a team that never blitzes and/or does not get to the QB?

That's basically my point about McCourty. All things being equal a CB is going to look better playing for the Jets. Which is why I'm not setting high expectations for him this year at least when comparing him to Wilson

Last edited:
Nah, just a Rutgers alum who has met DM a few times and will be rooting for him every week, especially twice a year when they play those clowns from the Meadowlands.

DM had a rough night yesterday, but part of that was a lack of pressure on the QB. The Pats need to either get better play up front or do a great job of disguising blitzes. Otherwise, DM might have a hard time as a rookie.

Welcome! I like to refer to them as "ass clowns". :rocker:

:)

Devin McCourty - 78 of 78 snaps. Was rarely thrown at after he proved himself early.

Kyle Wilson - You got *****ed.

All I can say is that on Sunday, the Bengals got just about NO YAC. McC can and does hit. And when he hits, they stay down.

:)

Devin McCourty - 78 of 78 snaps. Was rarely thrown at after he proved himself early.

Kyle Wilson - You got *****ed.

Just a slight over reaction here...

I'm just going to add... Wilson had almost no safety help, he struggled of course but i think if you put McCourty in Wilsons spot monday he would have had a tough game too... Was impressed with McCourty tho

Last edited:
after one game in each players career, I give the edge to mccourty

that said, rick mirer had the edge over drew bledsoe for the first few weeks

McCourty!!! BTW, I loved the hit on Palmer near the goalline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back