PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty or Kyle Wilson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone's an idiot sometimes.

Ok, maybe not Chuck Norris..........

I think what keeps that particular Borges quote alive are a couple of factors. One is the writer. Borges has long been known a writer who has an agenda and will follow his agenda before following the truth (and this pains me because he is a very good writer).

Secondly, there is wrong, then there is WRONG, and then there is REALLY WRONG!!!!!. His comment was so COMPLETELY wrong its, like I said, painful. Its one thing to under or overestimate a pick, but he not only massively whiffed on his assessment of Seymour and Light; he astoundingly picked perhaps the 3 biggest busts of the 2001 draft as picks the Pats SHOULD have made.

In one short paragraph Borges managed to be totally wrong 5 times. That is worthy of being in the HOF of wrongness.....and THAT's why the quote keeps popping up....and its why it will continue to do so in the future. ;)

Last edited:
BB loves versatile players thats why he drafted McCourty, he's a great ST player and a good return man IMO he was a good safe pick at worst you get a realy good ST player and dime CB at best you get a good starting CB in a few years they can't loose

as far who is the better CB Wilson, may have the better rookie season because he has 2 realy good CB's playing in front of him and a great pass rush so by the time the QB has gotten to has #3 or #4 opt who he will be covering he will alredy be on the ground.

but it will take 3 years befor we realy know who is the better CB

It is way too early to determine this since they are different players in different systems. McCourty was a shutdown CB in college and if he can turn that into a shutdown CB in the Pros, it may not be even close. But that is still a big if at this point.

I was not able to read the full article that Borges wrote on McCourty but the first part slammed the pick of McCourty and Butler last year; this is a VERY good sign guys. Based on this fact alone you have to believe that the Patriots will have a dominant defensive backfield....which in turn leads to a good pass rush.

Also just found this. It is truly hilarious how upset the fans were by the McCourty pick:
THE SPORTS JUKE: Pats Finally Pick Devin McCourty, CB From Rutgers In First Round

Sorry, maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm sure I heard that Wilson threw up as well. I think they attributed it to nerves bue some in the media said that was a cover story for him not being in perfect shape. My bad if I'm wrong but you're right about McKnight. He definitely made the news reel.

It's all good. :p I'm pretty much 100% sure that Wilson was fine. You are talking about McKnight in the bold sentence.

It's all good. :p I'm pretty much 100% sure that Wilson was fine. You are talking about McKnight in the bold sentence.

I'm curios about the sig pic of Revis, sarcasm or contentious bravery on your own turf?

I don't know that for certain, so good point. But I do know that Tannenbaum scouted Wilson personally and gave him a high grade well before the draft. I know they were'nt disappointed and actually thought he'd have gone higher (don't know how much higher).

I understand but there were many reports that the patriots stopped trading down because the jets were high on McCourty. There was one report that was posted on this board a while back that just like the patriots the jets had McCourty as their pick (obviously that can't be substantiated but that was just the report)

During the time before the pick was announced, I was hoping that Bill would choose Kyle Wilson, for a couple of reasons:

He was more highly-rated across the board than McCourty, though in some cases only slightly;
In many cases he was the Best player Available, regardless of position;
With the arrivals of Santonio Holmes & Brandon Marshall within the division, the need for another quality CB became more pressing;
I wasn't convinced of Jared Odrick & Sergio Kindle as being 1st-round worthy;
and not insignificantly, Wilson was a proven Punt Returner, a position that remains unfilled here. Let's face it, WW's days as the PR for the NEP are done, or at least should be done.

If Wison had not been avail. at 27, then I would've had no problem with McCourty being the choice.

I don't think you will see much of McCourty this season other than STs and in some defensive packages but on the other side I can easily see Wilson taking Cromarties spot at starter before mid season if Antonio does not play well

Last edited:
McCourty had double the amount of tackles that Wilson did. I think he is better suited in the nickle so he can be closer to the LOS. I think Wilson is a better cover guy against the slot receiver, but probably won't be able to tackle a RB or TE head on like McCourty will.

I don't think you will see much of McCourty this season other than STs and in some defensive packages but on the other side I can easily see Wilson taking Cromarties spot at starter before mid season if Antonio does not play well

I differ in this opinion because the Pats defense is trying to regroup. The lost a lot of veteran leadership. On the DL Wilfork is the new veteran leader (from Seymour) with Ty Warren being a leader by example. The linebackers (missing Bruschi and Vrabel) are led by Mayo who is a leader by example. Spikes (if he can play well at this level) will emerge as the Leader. (Cunningham will be the leader by example) The DB's (missing Harrison) will in my opinion be eventually led by McCourty (again if he can play well at this level) with Chung and Merriweather the leaders by example.

Because of this I believe that McCourty (because he is a natural leader) will be given every opportunity this season to show he can play - so the DB leader can emerge. (You can't be a leader from the bench)

The Pats drafted because of the character of these players in the past two (BB's) drafts. Because all the old leaders grew older bodies.

I'm looking forward to see the maturity (hopefully) of these individuals who if you read about them are youth of character.

I also disagree. I think McCourty is more of a boundary corner, and will earn time if not a starting spot opposite Bodden this season. I also believe that Butler (like Wilson) is more suited to the slot/nickle.
McCourty is also a better run support player, and plays all phases of ST. It's because of this that I am not surprised that they went with McCourty.

Well, dollar for dollar, I think Wilson so far has proven to be the better pick. But that doesn't mean he will end up being the better pick. Its just an initial observation having watched both so far. Of course I'm taking last nights loss to the Rams into consideration and I've yet to see how Wilson will perform tonight against the Redskins. Anyhow, tough loss for the Pats last night but if there's any consolation it's that the Jets were 10 times worse last week IMO.

Preseason play "proves" nothing. Unless you also believe the Colts are the worst team in the leauge.

Whoa!!! Someone telling the truth about their pre-draft picks. Amazing. I too was rooting for Wilson or Haden and McCourty was not on my radar screen. Anyone who says they knew that Patriots were going to take McCourty is lying.

Actually McCourty was definitely on my predraft radar. I had read a lot of positive things on him and his stock was climbing into the solid 1st round range. But like most Pats fans I thought they would go with a passrusher in the 1st round. I did speculate on how tough a McCourty/Bodden/Butler CB trio would be but I didn't expect it to actually happen. In my mind that would have been a luxury pick if we had like two 1st rounders.

I think McCourty is a better pick than Wilson because he can project to an eventual #1 corner for the Pats. His game is suited for the outside. And those 'on an island' positions are more valuable than slot corner positions imo. I had really gotten sick of the Pats drafting nickel corners and then being forced to play them outside due to injury. McCourty has the measurables to be a prototypical outside corner. (Same height as Ty Law btw for those he mistakenly think he's short). And his excellent special teams play is just gravy on top of that.

Last edited:
Well, dollar for dollar, I think Wilson so far has proven to be the better pick. But that doesn't mean he will end up being the better pick. Its just an initial observation having watched both so far. Of course I'm taking last nights loss to the Rams into consideration and I've yet to see how Wilson will perform tonight against the Redskins. Anyhow, tough loss for the Pats last night but if there's any consolation it's that the Jets were 10 times worse last week IMO.

Nothing is "proven" yet. It's the pre-season. McCourty got burned a few times last night, hell everyone on D got burned a few times last night. There is a lot of time for things to shake out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes