McCourty or Kyle Wilson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey NYJetsfan
your not unbearable

Looking forward to going over the Sept 19 game with ya
Which ever way it goes.

Gotta go

What is so amazing about that Borges quote was not only was he wrong about Seymour and Light, EVERY one of the 3 players he mentioned that he thought the Pats SHOULD have drafted turned out to be huge BUSTS. Borges was SOOOOO incredibly wrong it was almost painful. Still he's a "sports journalist":rolleyes:, and being a "sports journalist:rolleyes:, means never having to say you are sorry...or being accountable, or being responsible.

On McCourty and Wilson, I have been on record from the start that I think McCourty will play on the outside where his physicality is best suited. I think he will ultimately have the bigger impact for his team. HOWEVER, for what the Jets needed right now, Wilson was a great pick. He will be a big improvement as the slot CB. I think HIS skill set is best suited for that position, and that was a need for the Jets

Its for that reason that I think if the Jets that first shot at both CBs, they STILL would have picked Wilson. The Jets are all about right now, and right now, Wilson's skill set best suited the Jets immediate needs.

Gholston belongs in any top 10 draft bust list, no questions asked. This will be his last year in the NFL.
If you can't make it in an attacking style defense, your chances of making it in the NFL are slim to none.

Who will be the better CB? Your guess is as good as mine but I think McCourty is way more versatile.

Why limit the question to either/or?

Perhaps MCourty is a better fit for the Pats, and Wilson is a better fit for the Jets.

McCourty is more physical than Wilson, which is part of why he should be better in run support. He is also a better all-around (i.e., not just returns) special teams player. Belichick places a high value on that kind of versatility.

On the other hand Wilson has better ball skills. He's extremely confident, to the point of being ****y, which should fit in with the Jets' style. Not paricularly physical, but a ball hawk. As for special teams he's a good return man but would be a liability as a gunner, or for any other role on special teams.

If you can't make it in an attacking style defense, your chances of making it in the NFL are slim to none.

Who will be the better CB? Your guess is as good as mine but I think McCourty is way more versatile.

Agree

Why limit the question to either/or?

Perhaps MCourty is a better fit for the Pats, and Wilson is a better fit for the Jets.

McCourty is more physical than Wilson, which is part of why he should be better in run support. He is also a better all-around (i.e., not just returns) special teams player. Belichick places a high value on that kind of versatility.

On the other hand Wilson has better ball skills. He's extremely confident, to the point of being ****y, which should fit in with the Jets' style. Not paricularly physical, but a ball hawk. As for special teams he's a good return man but would be a liability as a gunner, or for any other role on special teams.

Agree

What is so amazing about that Borges quote was not only was he wrong about Seymour and Light, EVERY one of the 3 players he mentioned that he thought the Pats SHOULD have drafted turned out to be huge BUSTS. Borges was SOOOOO incredibly wrong it was almost painful. Still he's a "sports journalist":rolleyes:, and being a "sports journalist:rolleyes:, means never having to say you are sorry...or being accountable, or being responsible.

On McCourty and Wilson, I have been on record from the start that I think McCourty will play on the outside where his physicality is best suited. I think he will ultimately have the bigger impact for his team. HOWEVER, for what the Jets needed right now, Wilson was a great pick. He will be a big improvement as the slot CB. I think HIS skill set is best suited for that position, and that was a need for the Jets

Its for that reason that I think if the Jets that first shot at both CBs, they STILL would have picked Wilson. The Jets are all about right now, and right now, Wilson's skill set best suited the Jets immediate needs.

Definitely agree

Last edited:

Seymour has played 9 seasons in the league and people like you are still bringing up that quote. How is that not Borges being held accountable?

Seymour has played 9 seasons in the league and people like you are still bringing up that quote. How is that not Borges being held accountable?

He didn't bring it up. See post 15. And if it's relevant to the conversation, I don't think it needs to have an expiration date.

Last edited:
He didn't bring it up. See post 15. And if it's relevant to the conversation, I don't think it needs to have an expiration date.

1.) I said people like him. I understand that he was not the first to use it in this thread. BradyFTW! was the first with it in this thread, to the best of my recollection.

2.) I didn't say that it needed an expiration date. I noted it as a form of accountability. Nine years after it was written, it's still being used to hang Borges out to dry.

1.) I said people like him. I understand that he was not the first to use it in this thread. BradyFTW! was the first with it in this thread, to the best of my recollection.

2.) I didn't say that it needed an expiration date. I noted it as a form of accountability. Nine years after it was written, it's still being used to hang Borges out to dry.

Well you're right then, because it's working. I'd never heard of it before today and I already think he's an idiot :) Besides, it helped me make the point that just because Mcourty went before Wilson doesn't mean anything, which I still stand behind.

Last edited:
Well you're right then, because it's working. I'd never heard of it before today and I already think he's an idiot :)

Everyone's an idiot sometimes.

Ok, maybe not Chuck Norris..........

Some great reading in here. Just don't understand the logic that becaue McCourty was selected before Wilson that he's better, or the suggestion that Wilson was only picked by the Jets because McCourty was no longer there. From everything I've seen since, Wilson was a better fit four our needs and the most likely candidate for the Jets all along.

If it makes anyone using that logic feel better, I'll tell you what you want to here. Mccourty is better than Wilson :)

McCourty isn't necessarily better than Wilson, but he measures across the board better (e.g., character traits- not just football). Like you said all Wilson did when he showed up was let everyone know what he had for breakfast. That is not a Patriot trait.

McCourty isn't necessarily better than Wilson, but he measures across the board better (e.g., character traits- not just football). Like you said all Wilson did when he showed up was let everyone know what he had for breakfast. That is not a Patriot trait.

There were no such reports about Kyle Wilson puking. That was Joe McKnight, the Jets' 4th round draft choice.

how conveniently the cholesterol choked Gut omits the daily pukefests put on by Goatston on those long lonely walks down by the pond after "practice". Let's have a Jet fan jamboree like they did at J.I. when a top ten thread ran for months how the "Tangenius" fooled the Patriots by taking Goatston and making them take Mayo. THIS ought to be a real hoot...a smorgasbord of green gluttony.

IOW, he can't really cover slot guys all that well. A few pivot routes from Welker and Wilson is going to need therapy. :)

Actually, in the draft I wanted Wilson and hardly followed McCourty. But I'll take BB's word for it. He's proven me wrong more times than I'd like to remember.

Whoa!!! Someone telling the truth about their pre-draft picks. Amazing. I too was rooting for Wilson or Haden and McCourty was not on my radar screen. Anyone who says they knew that Patriots were going to take McCourty is lying.

FTW

Was that Borges??

Great Quote

Yes it was Borges but it could easily have been Felger or Callahan. They were both *****ing about McCourty this year so that makes me feel really really good about the kid.

I have no idea who will turn out to be the better player and anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

I just like observing the media's initial reaction to picks and how often they are completely wrong. That Borges quote is a perfect example but it happens every year. Highly touted players become busts and players nobody ever heard of become stars.

Based on that theory I like McCourty better. Wilson seems to have been the much more highly touted player. I've read numerous reports that he was considered neck-and-neck with Haden as the draft's best CB prospect and that Cleveland almost took him at #7. However, his scouting report mentions a weakness against the deep ball and poor tackling against the running game. It also mentions possible character issues. Then according to our Jets fan friend here, he showed up to the OTA's out of shape. Not a good sign.

Meanwhile, McCourty is a guy hardly anybody knew about. His selection was met with negativity by the local sports media who only seem to amaze me for their consistency in getting "everything" wrong. His scouting report indicates that he's a good tackler and very fluid. I also read something that broke down the statistics of the WR's he covered compared to their season averages and it was very impressive. Then ESPN had some kind of science show where they tracked his speed while backpedaling and it was very impressive. Apparently this guy can back pedal as fast as anyone. He's also know to be a very good character guy and has a twin brother who had an impressive rookie year last season. The guy sounds like the prototypical Patriot. I can't wait to see him play. I think we picked the right guy.

Last edited:
Everyone's an idiot sometimes.

Ok, maybe not Chuck Norris..........

Speak for yourself- even on my dumbest day, I've never written anything anything as stupid as that Borges quote. Know what you know, know what you don't know, etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back