PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty or Bodden

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfanboy

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
So with the amazing progress of Devin McCourty do you guys think that he will step up as our number one Cornerback for next season over veteran Leigh Bodden? I mean everyone in here refers to him as next season top Cb in the league, he did showed a lot of potential of being just that.

I don't understand your question, when bodden comes back next season he will most likely regain his role as the RCB and devin will keep his as the LCB

I don't understand your question, when bodden comes back next season he will most likely regain his role as the RCB and devin will keep his as the LCB

I guess he means is McCourty better then Bodden, even though we all know Bodden will take his starting role back on the other side. :p
Will McCourty get the #1 Wrs or will Bodden...to give an example.

Last edited:
My bet is Arrington / Butler overtake Bodden anyways.

Same was said about Butler last year, we have to wait to see how McCourty will do next season.

I guess he means is McCourty better then Bodden, even though we all know Bodden will take his starting role back on the other side. :p

Thanks for putting it in better words, but that what i meant.

Thanks for putting it in better words, but that what i meant.
But the thing that ALP was pointing out was that the Pats don't line up their corners on opposing #1 receivers.

For example last week when Calvin Johnson switched sides to get away from McCourty, McCourty stayed where he was.

Raiders do something similar with Nnamdi Asomugha; they leave him on one side regardless of who the receiver is on that side of the field.

So really it is not the Pats choice, but the choice of the opposing offense who lines up against McCourty (or Bodden).

Last edited:

Other way around. Bodden is a superior player in all areas to both Butler and Arrington. Arrington may be a better tackler but...

Other way around. Bodden is a superior player in all areas to both Butler and Arrington. Arrington may be a better tackler but...

He will also be 30 coming off a year of not doing crap.

When Bodden comes back, he will be our RCB while McCourty will be our LCB. And our secondary will be all the better for it.

Arringrton is a better tackler, better in run support and better on special teams. That being said, Bodden is a 1B CB. He'll be the starting RCB next year.

He will also be 30 coming off a year of not doing crap.

He had a shoulder injury as opposed to an ACL. He'll be 100% come TC. He is a proven veteran.

Arrington is what he is- a 4th DB.

Butler we don't know yet but it's not looking good so far.

Are you serious? I don't think you remember Bodden very well... or else you're somehow banking on those two scrubs actually learning how to play corner.

Arringrton is a better tackler, better in run support and better on special teams. That being said, Bodden is a 1B CB. He'll be the starting RCB next year.

Yep- Thats the way I see him too.

I agree. I think Bodden as a starting CB are over.

The Pats took a big hit after signing him to a new deal, only to watch him go to IR.

I see the Pats exploring FA or drafting another CB in the first two rounds in April.

Last edited:
Are you serious? I don't think you remember Bodden very well... or else you're somehow banking on those two scrubs actually learning how to play corner.

I've watched Bodden most of his career since Cleveland and then the Lions. He was my darkhorse when the Patriots signed him. I just have a feeling Butler / Arrington have the ability to replace him. Especially with the playing time they're getting and another training camp. Relax buddy.

1A & 1AA as far as I am concerned.

For Arrington to overtake Bodden, a) Arrington would have to improve significantly and b) Bodden would have to regress a good deal in coverage. Do you really see that happening because of a shoulder injury?

Bodden was a top 15 corner in the NFL in 2009, are you expecting Arrington to develop into one of the league's better corners? I'd love it, don't get me wrong, but the probability is low...

For Arrington to overtake Bodden, a) Arrington would have to improve significantly and b) Bodden would have to regress a good deal in coverage. Do you really see that happening because of a shoulder injury?

Bodden was a top 15 corner in the NFL in 2009, are you expecting Arrington to develop into one of the league's better corners? I'd love it, don't get me wrong, but the probability is low...

I'm just being realistic. It's unrealistic to think a 29 going on 30 year old corner coming off a year of not playing would turn out a top 15 corner season. The injury isn't significant but the playing time is, the thing that worries me is 1) not playing, 2) his age, and 3) he just got his last big pay day on a front loaded contract. I like Bodden as much as anyone, I just don't see it. His skills are on the way downward while guys like Arrington / Butler are likely only to get better.

It might not necessarily be Arrington / Butler replacing him, I just don't see Bodden as an easy lock for starter. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the team target a corner in FA or the draft either, like Hey Bro! Whats Up? said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing