PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty DROY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How each of these rookies is grading out on every play, and against variable quality competition, is something that I'm not in a position to speak to, and I suspect few people are. Its impossible to have an informed opinion on this from NFL entertainment broadcast, as it shows such a small aspect of the game.

But, having said that, from what little is available to me as a regular Pats viewer, I can't remember a defensive rookie that's shown as well as McCourty. My memory is that all of the past greats took at least a year before they showed consistent play, and McCourty already seems to be as good a corner as we've had since Law at his best.

So what your saying is that, we as fans can't have informed opinions of players because we only watch the game on tv?

Don't put yourself and us down like that. Just because we don't watch practices, or have access to the all powerful coaches tape (just ask Merril Hoge) doesn't mean we can't have reasonable opinions on players.

Back on topic, the answer is Suh, just a monster.

Suh is running away with the DROY award right now and he should be. He's been solid throughout and made impact plays in the process. He'll be dangerous against the Pats on Turkey Day. McCourty's 2 INTs are starting to get him noticed a bit more. I'd like to see McCourty put his hat into the ring with a 3 INT game against Manning face. Maybe one of them could be a pick six.

That would be pretty awesome. Of course some in the national media (not to mention Manning) would just blame his receivers. Someone asked reiss on his chat yesterday how DMc might compare to Ty Law/Ty Poole (?) and Reiss wrote this:

Could be better, Ben. He has Poole's speed and Law's physical style combined into one. Don't want to put him in Canton just yet -- hello Bill Parcells -- but it looks promising at this point.

Meanwhile I wouldn't mind if Suh got some attention by having a big game this week then maybe an off game, say, around Thanksgiving. :)

DROY? Suh is probably the Defensive Player of The Year right now.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't watched a single live snap of a Detroit Lions game, but Suh's numbers certainly look good.

It's tough to imagine a rookie CB playing better than McCourty has done so far, but it's also really tough for a corner to win DROY (other than Woodson I can't think of any in the last 20 years).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't watched a single live snap of a Detroit Lions game, but Suh's numbers certainly look good.

It's tough to imagine a rookie CB playing better than McCourty has done so far, but it's also really tough for a corner to win DROY (other than Woodson I can't think of any in the last 20 years).

Woodson was the most recent CB in 1998 -- but the last DT to win was 4 years before that, Tim Bowens in 1994!

The award goes to linebackers for racking up tackles, and DEs for racking up sacks. Suh ranks top-10 in the league in sacks as a massive DT. He's a remarkable talent, and it's no slight whatsoever on McCourty that he doesn't stand a chance at the award.

Why does this thread exist when Suh is tearing things up? I like McCourty, but come on.

Suh, obviously. He is a terror.

Suh takes it. He's earned it, normally I'd say McCourty was being jacked by not getting it, but let's be honest; Suh's beasting it.

Ndamukong Suh, 27 tackles and 6.5 sacks at DT, there is no other DT in the NFL puting up dose numbers forget rookies

but i do think Aaron Hernandez, will win offensive rookie of the year he is on pace for over 60 rec and over 800 yerds if he adds a few TD's he's a lock IMO

Ndamukong Suh, 27 tackles and 6.5 sacks at DT, there is no other DT in the NFL puting up dose numbers forget rookies

but i do think Aaron Hernandez, will win offensive rookie of the year he is on pace for over 60 rec and over 800 yerds if he adds a few TD's he's a lock IMO
We're in agreement. I think Hernandez will take out ORY and Suh DRY.

In my opinion, McCourty has a legitimate argument if he can lead the league in interceptions. Unfortunately, that seems unlikely to happen this season and there are simply too many standout rookie defensive backs he's competing with.

The Defensive Rookie of the Year has been won by a corner back only six times since 1967. Conversely, a defensive tackle has only won it five times.

A linebacker has won it an impressive twenty-three times. Since 2000, a linebacker has won it nine out of ten seasons.

Patriots corner back Mike Haynes won the award in 1976. He was the fifth pick in the first round of the 1976 NFL Draft.

NFL History - CBSSports.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back