PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty & Chung remind me of Ty Law & Lawyer Milloy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Anyone think that this duo of McCourty and Chung remind you of the Law and Milloy duo of 2001?

Both play similar IMO with Law having ball hawking skills and great man to man coverage while Milloy was back there waiting to pounce on a WR in the open field, I see the same kind of play from Pat and Devin

...looks like an eerie similarity to those years when we had some good talent back there.

Interesting, I will keep an eye out for them on Mon.

Need to update your sig. Maybe something featuring Rex?

They are close, but McCourty needs more seasoning to be compared to Ty Law.... he will eventually equal or surpass him.

Anyone think that this duo of McCourty and Chung remind you of the Law and Milloy duo of 2001?

More like 1996, though. They were in their prime by 2001.
In 1996, Law was in his 2nd year and Lawyer was drafted.

Talking of Milloy, here is a cracking picture to bring back memories of the old days :rocker:

sp_010.jpg

Last edited:
Old days?
OLD DAYS????

Run DMc reminds me of Mike Haynes.

.....not yet. I like them both....but they're not there yet.

Both Ty and Lawyer were more physical.

Old days?
OLD DAYS????

Run DMc reminds me of Mike Haynes.

Nice. My chosen nickname is beginning to catch on.

As for the OP, I personally feel that it does the current crop a disservice to compare them to legends of the dynasty era. I'd rather let these guys carve out their own identity. But that doesn't mean that I still can't see where you're going with it. :cool:

Nice. My chosen nickname is beginning to catch on.

As for the OP, I personally feel that it does the current crop a disservice to compare them to legends of the dynasty era. I'd rather let these guys carve out their own identity. But that doesn't mean that I still can't see where you're going with it. :cool:

Point well taken. I violated one of my own precepts.

Slight nit: Haynes is pretty old time

Last edited:
I can see the comparison but like Kontra said, these kids deserve to carve out their own names. That's not to disrespect what Harrison and Law did, but these kids are different, and have the potential to even be better.

Well, I think you can both make historical references and let people make their own identity. Saying a new guy "reminds me of so and so" is a good starting point. Look at Brady, all the Joe Montana comparisons early on - -he's still managed to establish cred on his own.

The first person I thought of when I saw Chung's college highlights was Milloy. Same power, pretty much the same exact size. But I think Chung is faster (which will help establish his own unique identity!).

On DMc -- I'm liking the Haynes comparison. Check out this video:
YouTube - Mike Haynes Hall of Fame

Coverage style is similar to these untrained eyes. According to Wikipedia, Haynes had 8 picks (and two PRs for TD) in his rookie year. Haynes was a return guy where DMc is a kick coverage guy, and mighty good at that -- which is part of DMc's establishing his own identity. :)

Well, I think you can both make historical references and let people make their own identity. Saying a new guy "reminds me of so and so" is a good starting point. Look at Brady, all the Joe Montana comparisons early on - -he's still managed to establish cred on his own.

The first person I thought of when I saw Chung's college highlights was Milloy. Same power, pretty much the same exact size. But I think Chung is faster (which will help establish his own unique identity!).

On DMc -- I'm liking the Haynes comparison. Check out this video:
YouTube - Mike Haynes Hall of Fame

Coverage style is similar to these untrained eyes. According to Wikipedia, Haynes had 8 picks (and two PRs for TD) in his rookie year. Haynes was a return guy where DMc is a kick coverage guy, and mighty good at that -- which is part of DMc's establishing his own identity. :)

McCourty is a return guy and a kick coverage guy. We use him for the latter, although he's probably almost as good as Tate if not just as good at the former.

McCourty is a return guy and a kick coverage guy. We use him for the latter, although he's probably almost as good as Tate if not just as good at the former.

I actually thought we might see DMc on returns this year. I also seem to remember he had a handful of blocked punts in college.

I can see the comparison but like Kontra said, these kids deserve to carve out their own names. That's not to disrespect what Harrison and Law did, but these kids are different, and have the potential to even be better.

Take it easy on the Law/Harrison comparisons. :eek:

Even better? :eek:

I don't think that reference should be used again.

You mean Chung will get waived and picked up by the Bills?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye