PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty ALREADY shutdown: leads league in ints over 15 yards downfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm suprised no one has noted that stats mean virtually nothing as to the quality of a CB. Interceptions are nice, but meaninless as to coverage quality; PD are somewhat meaningful, but hardly come close to telling the whole story.

BTW... I'm not knocking McCourty in any way whatsoever. He has performed every bit as good as his stats show, and every bit as good as we are giving him credit for... I just want to be realistic here.

Hopefully #32's rib injury isn't a problem, although part of me is interested to see how butler would perform in that role for a week or two...

I agree that CB stats can be misleading. However, I think you're going too far so say that they mean "virtually nothing". Interceptions and passes defensed are significant, particularly if you include the number of targets (which was not done in this case). Tackles, however, can be very misleading.

I agree that CB stats can be misleading. However, I think you're going too far so say that they mean "virtually nothing". Interceptions and passes defensed are significant, particularly if you include the number of targets (which was not done in this case). Tackles, however, can be very misleading.

Agreed. A big number is comp % against. Folks complained that coming out of Rutgers, McCourty didn't have "ball skills" but yet he allowed just 24% of pass thrown his direction completed.

That tells me that hes excellent in coverage, body positioning, re-directing receivers off their routes, etc.

I bet its inspiring Coach Belichick to draw up some mad schemes in the future. I'm sure the talent goes back and front from Coaches to players, not to mention drafting another one like him in 2011, our backfield should be solid for a while

Re: McCourty County Lockdown: New England Patriots Rookie Among NFL's Rising Stars

Reiss says no

McCourty Watch.

Darrelle Revis rookie season - 16(16) games 87 tackles 74 total 13 assisted 17 Pdef 3 int 20 yards 19 lng 1 Ffum

Devin McCourty rookie season - 14(16) games 77 tackles 65 total 12 assisted 21 Pdef 6 int 110 yards 50 lng 1 Ffum 1 sack

McCourty Watch.

Darrelle Revis rookie season - 16(16) games 87 tackles 74 total 13 assisted 17 Pdef 3 int 20 yards 19 lng 1 Ffum

Devin McCourty rookie season - 14(16) games 77 tackles 65 total 12 assisted 21 Pdef 6 int 110 yards 50 lng 1 Ffum 1 sack

With these numbers, McCourty should run away with DROY. Unfortunately, the NFL is enfatuated with sacks and will likely give the award to Suh, even though McCourty has almost 50% more tackles than Suh.

With these numbers, McCourty should run away with DROY. Unfortunately, the NFL is enfatuated with sacks and will likely give the award to Suh, even though McCourty has almost 50% more tackles than Suh.

Suh is a pretty special player and is having a very good year. It's a tough call.

Suh is a pretty special player and is having a very good year. It's a tough call.

Suh is a pretty special player having a very good year, but he's certainly not a complete player yet. This year, I do not believe Suh is a top 5 DT, though that will probably change next year. McCourty is a complete corner, and certainly among the top 5 this year. If you consider how much easier it is for a DT to make a splash as a rookie than it is for a CB, it becomes a no-brainer.

Being able to tackle is important at any position on defense unless you're Deion Sanders. Even he would have been better if he could have tackled.

However, of all positions, the one where tackles can give you the worst mis-read is cornerback. You can't read just the number there - I would make the case that McCourty and Revis (for example) comparatively rarely have to tackle the guy they're covering.

But really, to try to measure how good a corner is by how many tackles he has could turn up a bunch of crappy corners who at least don't quit on the play, and 20 yards down the field are able to tackle the guy who torches them for 100 yards receiving... so you have to look out for tackling as a way to measure cornerbacks.

Nice stat for linebackers though, the sad but true case of Donnie Edwards not withstanding (he of the 5-yards-downfield drag-down).

Being able to tackle is important at any position on defense unless you're Deion Sanders. Even he would have been better if he could have tackled.

However, of all positions, the one where tackles can give you the worst mis-read is cornerback. You can't read just the number there - I would make the case that McCourty and Revis (for example) comparatively rarely have to tackle the guy they're covering.

But really, to try to measure how good a corner is by how many tackles he has could turn up a bunch of crappy corners who at least don't quit on the play, and 20 yards down the field are able to tackle the guy who torches them for 100 yards receiving... so you have to look out for tackling as a way to measure cornerbacks.

Nice stat for linebackers though, the sad but true case of Donnie Edwards not withstanding (he of the 5-yards-downfield drag-down).

If a cornerback excels at coverage, high tackle numbers are a great indicator of being a complete player. If you look at the complete stats in the post I responded to, it's pretty obvious McCourty is a good cover corner. It's really quite simple.

Suh is a pretty special player having a very good year, but he's certainly not a complete player yet. This year, I do not believe Suh is a top 5 DT, though that will probably change next year. McCourty is a complete corner, and certainly among the top 5 this year. If you consider how much easier it is for a DT to make a splash as a rookie than it is for a CB, it becomes a no-brainer.

Good points...

DMc is having a top 5 CB year.

IMO Suh is close, but is not a top 5 DT- yet.

To Hell with Revis island. I'll take the McCourty peninsula anyday.

Revis is where McCourty hopes to be in a year or three.

But he is on the right track.

Like Revis, he has improved every game his rookie year. I wouldn't get hung up on passes defensed or anything like that as stats can vary widely based on team defense, assignment, etc.

I remember the Jets-Bills game, first month or so of the season when Revis was a rookie. He was in the slot most of the game as was picked on the whole game. Maybe gave up 7-8 completions? Later in the year, in the rematch, he gave up maybe 1 or 2 catches on 10+ targets. His improvement and learning curve was dramatic. That is what I, a Jets fan, see in McCourty.

I was at the first Jets-Pats game and recall DM getting beat on multiple plays (but the other side was still weaker). I was at the disaster in NE also. And watched as DM was a blanket. That is the learning curve that great cornerbacks show, and they usually show it rather quickly.

It is why I am concerned about Kyle Wilson. Cornerback is a hard position to master, but the good ones usually show a steep curve early in their careers.

Ok, was McCourty on the field for the 1st half? He doesn't appear in the play by play until the 3rd quarter . . . so either he was sick and sitting, or the Bills were throwing away from him almost the whole game?

Ok, was McCourty on the field for the 1st half? He doesn't appear in the play by play until the 3rd quarter . . . so either he was sick and sitting, or the Bills were throwing away from him almost the whole game?

Yes, he started. He did get burned on the first drive but Fitzpatrick's pass sailed and the receiver couldn't come in-bounds in the end zone with it. That was the only time they tested him early that I could remember though.

Yesterday was not one of his better games. Think about that. Amazing!

This is so insanely good. He is, what, only 22 years old?

A shut down corner who is also tough and also tackles, plus plays special teams? One couldn't dream a rookie could be this good.

This is why I pick him as defensive rookie of the year over the meathead in Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes