PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty ALREADY shutdown: leads league in ints over 15 yards downfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hernandez, Gronkowski, Mesko and McCourty have already outperformed the wildest expectations I had for them at the beginning of the season.

What's crazy is you could add Deaderick, Love & Cunningham to this list as well and not be wrong. Love playing a ton more snaps than anyone expected at the time of his signing.

It's pretty well documented that I'm a huge fan of deaderick in the base on early downs. I know he has been M.I.A the last few games but he's young and that will happen. With the addition of a blue chip DE in the 2011 draft(fingers crossed) he could be excellent depth in our DL rotation.

Cunningham has exceeded my expectations. He is adequate setting the edge better than TBC in this regard already. He has an array of pass rushing moves at his disposal needs to get stronger tho to finish at the point of attack. Dude is a 3 down player in round 2 :rocker:

What's crazy is you could add Deaderick, Love & Cunningham to this list as well and not be wrong. Love playing a ton more snaps than anyone expected at the time of his signing.

It's pretty well documented that I'm a huge fan of deaderick in the base on early downs. I know he has been M.I.A the last few games but he's young and that will happen. With the addition of a blue chip DE in the 2011 draft(fingers crossed) he could be excellent depth in our DL rotation.

Cunningham has exceeded my expectations. He is adequate setting the edge better than TBC in this regard already. He has an array of pass rushing moves at his disposal needs to get stronger tho to finish at the point of attack. Dude is a 3 down player in round 2 :rocker:

You forgot Spikes :D

This guy will be one scary DB... I was not happy with the pick but he will turn out to be one of BB's best picks ever.

Now imagine our secondary if Prince Amukamara fell to us with the Raiders pick.

Teams are going to start throwing away from him and his stats will go down but he is very impressive. He is the most athletically gifted of all the Patriots and is a great learner with a great coach.

THAT is when highest pinnacle of corner success. When teams don't even try to throw to the player he is covering. Revis has achieved that. McCourty is not there yet, but will be.

He's now credited with 19 PDs (tied for 4th) and 6 INTs (tied for 2nd):

NFL Stats: by Player Position

After only 12 games he's already blown away Revis's full rookie year numbers. And as Belichick likes to say, he still has room for improvement :D

This is so insanely good. He is, what, only 22 years old?

A shut down corner who is also tough and also tackles, plus plays special teams? One couldn't dream a rookie could be this good.

How hard is that adjustment (turning your head in coverage) to make? Some of our older CBs still have yet to be able to make that adjustment. Its amazing how fast this kid learns.

It's harder than you think. You have to learn to 'feel' where the opposing WR is cause if you turn your head to look for the ball and they give you a double move, they have you beat for a huge gain. Sometimes you feel tempted to just stare at a WR and just try to stick your hands inbetween theirs as soon as they make a move for the ball, but that too is harder than it sounds.

Even better. Might need to clear out those cookies ;).

2534644455_4cb78c0d2c.jpg

Seriously though, this is why it's best to at least take a "wait and see" approach. I wasn't convinced about McCourty, but I basically said IBWT. What I am learning about McCourty this year, in seeing his rapid development, is that this guy is coachable; a true Patriot. Sometimes that Belichick guy makes some good decisions. :D

McCourty has been dynamite on Go routes this season. When I see a deep ball to his side of the field I have started to expect an INT or at worst a PD. As opposed to the other side where I hope there is no completion or pass interference called haha. McCourty's next step will be to transfer his exceptional deep ball skills to the under 10 yard slants and outs.. then he will truly be the shutdown corner that people are starting to call him. Not that he is bad in those routes now of course.

Wow, another great CB that will leave the pats for a big contract.

Its the same song all over again.

The difference is that McCourty will be worth it. A$ante has led the league in missed tackles 3 years in a row and was on the trade block last season. It hurt the team short term, but overpaying him was definitely not worth it.

I still think we should of took Dez Bryant, ;) ;) \

I know nothing. I defer all armchair duties to Belichick this season.

This is why I don't question BB. Call me a homer if you want, but he knows more than me. Thats why when I heard the name on the tv as our first pick, I said "wth? who?", followed by, "oh well, BB knows what he's doing" pass the koolaid :eek:

Devin McCourty have such Great straight line speed, he just cannot be beaten deep. He reminds me of Deion Sanders back in his rookie season...it seemed like Deion ran the routes better than the WR's. Devin seems like he's on par to be that good. It's been a while since i have seen a Rookie CB this Polished. One can't imagine how good he'll be next year.

Last edited:
I was excited about McCourty as soon as I read this pre-draft write up at CBS Sports:

McCourty's sensational senior season certainly grabbed the attention of scouts. He's now primed to grab the national attention that has mysteriously eluded him since arriving on campus as a 175-pound freshman.

The statistical table does not really show the true measure of McCourty's importance or value to the Scarlet Knights' success. Since taking over as a starter as a sophomore, the defensive back has more than lived up to the challenge of shutting down his main pass coverage assignments. Always known for his punt- and kick-coverage ability, he added a wrinkle to his game, proving to be one of the more electrifying kickoff returners in the nation, evident by his average of 27.91 yards per attempt.

In the last 38 contests, Rutgers has allowed the opposition to complete 572-of-1,038 passes (55.11 percent) for 7,144 yards, 36 touchdowns and 32 interceptions. Against McCourty, the Scarlet Knights opponents attempted 249 throws, completing just 88 (35.34 percent) for 684 yards and only two scores, an average of 7.77 yards per pass completion. He has allowed just 2.75 yards per pass attempt, the lowest figure of any active player in the Big East Conference.

While those figures are very impressive, they do not tell the entire story of this shutdown cornerback's ability. Against his main pass coverage assignments, McCourty has held those receivers to only 42 receptions for 386 yards on 158 passes targeted into his area, meaning that quarterbacks have completed just 26.58 percent of those tosses and their intended targets were limited to 9.19 yards per pass completion and 2.44 yards per attempt.

Those same receivers averaged 33.84 catches for 430.05 yards (12.71 yards per catch) and 2.47 touchdowns per season vs. other cornerbacks they faced. Devin has proven to be an excellent press coverage defender, as his excellent field vision has seen him make plays on the ball 45.39 percent of the time outside his area, coming to the aid after a teammate had blown an assignment. He has jammed/rerouted those pass catchers away from 148 incomplete attempts (average of 3.84 per game), the most of any cornerback in the Division I ranks during that span.

While developing his shutdown cornerback skills, McCourty is not only a top-notch coverage defender, but has also excelled playing inside the box. He made 91 of his 236 tackles in run support (38.56 percent) and has proven to be a drive-killer, as he registered an incredible 94 third-down stops and 33 more on fourth-down action (38.60 percent of his plays made resulted in killing the opposition's series).

Devin McCourty, Rutgers, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

That write up is one of the most detailed I've ever seen. Somebody really loved his Rutgers' McCourty...

Really pretty incredible stuff at Rutgers. 38.6% of his plays ending drives??? I suspect the only reason McCourty didn't go as high as Haden was lingering discomfort about the identical twin paradox: how could Devin be great if Jason was mediocre?

One of the things I think we may have forgotten is that McCourty may very well be a better KR than Tate! Obviously he's already in for every defensive snap and almost every special teams snap, so it would be foolhardy to add to his load, but I wouldn't be shocked if he shows up back there in the playoffs...

Last edited:
McCourty Watch.

Darrelle Revis rookie season - 16(16) games 87 tackles 74 total 13 assisted 17 Pdef 3 int 20 yards 19 lng 1 Ffum

Devin McCourty rookie season - 13(16) games 67 tackles 58 total 9 assisted 20 Pdef 6 int 110 yards 50 lng 1 Ffum

I'm suprised no one has noted that stats mean virtually nothing as to the quality of a CB. Interceptions are nice, but meaninless as to coverage quality; PD are somewhat meaningful, but hardly come close to telling the whole story.

BTW... I'm not knocking McCourty in any way whatsoever. He has performed every bit as good as his stats show, and every bit as good as we are giving him credit for... I just want to be realistic here.

Hopefully #32's rib injury isn't a problem, although part of me is interested to see how butler would perform in that role for a week or two...

I just saw this thread title, post-injury, and thought for a moment that he'd been put on IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back