PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McClain Dropping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish people wouldn't respond to this guy. he's on my ignore list, and he's a troll.
Or if you must respond to a troll, at least don't quote him so those of us who have him on ignore don't accidently see his blathering :D

According to this draft report McClain ran in the 4.6/4.7 range, which is darn good for a guy his size. Legitimate NFL athleticism for a 34 ILB. Exciting. I was worried he might test in the 4.8 range.

Uh oh....Crohns disease is not good..(not contagious nor life threatening but still not good for an athlete)....there is no cure nor surgical proceadure for it.

Great Blue North Draft Report (free content)
"Tide LB discloses non-football illness… Star Alabama MLB Rolando McClain stunned the pro scouting fraternity when he disclosed after he became ill during the Tide’s pro day today that he has had Crohn's Disease, an inflammatory intestinal condition, since his freshman year in high school. McClain reportedly treats the condition with medication and obviously has been able to play with it a very high level to date, however, its certain to be a major red flag for pro teams heading into the 2010 draft at which McClain had been rated as a top 10-15 prospect."

More info on Crohns from Wiki.
Crohn's disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My wife works as a clinical dietician and she works with patients with this. She is sleeping now but has talked about it.....Not something you want to have and does affect any normal person physically
- not to mention a top level athlete trying to compete in one of the most physically demanding sports. I don't see how he can be in the top 15 now after this.

I THOUGHT he passed on him twice and we traded the 2nd for welker before the draft. I may be wrong about that, maybe that WAS the year we didn't have a 2nd b/c of welker.
Still I do blame him for not drafting developable OLB and ILBs and just using washed up retreads like Burgess and Beisel.

actually, the pats traded a first round pick away to SF that eventually turned into the jerod mayo pick.......

harris or mayo? that's a tough call.....made even tougher since harris is getting paid a whole lot less

Uh oh....Crohns disease is not good..(not contagious nor life threatening but still not good for an athlete)....there is no cure nor surgical proceadure for it.

Great Blue North Draft Report (free content)
"Tide LB discloses non-football illness… Star Alabama MLB Rolando McClain stunned the pro scouting fraternity when he disclosed after he became ill during the Tide’s pro day today that he has had Crohn's Disease, an inflammatory intestinal condition, since his freshman year in high school. McClain reportedly treats the condition with medication and obviously has been able to play with it a very high level to date, however, its certain to be a major red flag for pro teams heading into the 2010 draft at which McClain had been rated as a top 10-15 prospect."

More info on Crohns from Wiki.
Crohn's disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My wife works as a clinical dietician and she works with patients with this. She is sleeping now but has talked about it.....Not something you want to have and does affect any normal person physically
- not to mention a top level athlete trying to compete in one of the most physically demanding sports. I don't see how he can be in the top 15 now after this.

david garrard has it....

Someone else has made the point that if Mclain drops someone will likely trade up to get him. I don't know if that is true or untrue, we'll just have to wait and see. But, whether someone does or does'nt. I don't see him getting past Atlanta......

Someone else has made the point that if Mclain drops someone will likely trade up to get him. I don't know if that is true or untrue, we'll just have to wait and see. But, whether someone does or does'nt. I don't see him getting past Atlanta......

Atlanta really? Not sure he quite fits their scheme as a 43 MLB, plus that Lofton kid can play and hes already in the middle.

Why would spend a high pick on a guy who will be off the field on 3rd down for guyton or a nickel big safety.

Why would spend a high pick on a guy who will be off the field on 3rd down for guyton or a nickel big safety.

because he wouldn't be off the field based on his coverage skills?

the guy who would come off is mayo, and it ain't gonna be for guyton

Atlanta really? Not sure he quite fits their scheme as a 43 MLB, plus that Lofton kid can play and hes already in the middle.

I heard that Atlanta is enamored with Weatherspoon. And after seeing him perform, yeah he's got the athleticism to excel for their scheme.

From reports that I've read, McClain ran a 4.74 40 at the Crimson Tide pro day. This 40 speed combined with the news of his disease knocks him out of the top 10 imo. But teams that need ILB will still look at him. I don't think the Giants at 15 will let him slide by them.

Witherspoon was signed by Tennessee...

Yeah, I think Lofton's entrenched at middle linebacker and he'll only be twenty-four by next season. Besides, McClain wouldn't get pass Pittsburgh not Atlanta. The 4-3 teams, Seattle, New York (Giants),Tennessee and Atlanta who are picking fourteen through nineteen, have their starting middle linebacker. Of these teams, the Giants could've an interest in McClain if he were capable of playing middle linebacker. They don't sound content with who they've right now. But they might simply wait and hope that Brandon Spikes is still available in the second round.

If McClain happens to get pass Pittsburgh, he's there for New England... Neither Houston nor Cincinnati need him. And I still believe Denver and Miami won't select him.

As for contingency plans, the Giants don't appear to have many right now. Both Chase Blackburn and Jonathan Goff struggled in the final few weeks of the season. The Cardinals' Karlos Dansby could be available via free agency. The team could also use its first-round pick (No. 15 overall) on a linebacker or trade up to get one. And there's always the possibility Reese, who has been willing to make trades, could be cooking up a deal for a proven veteran. There figure to be more trades this off-season because the free-agent pool will be thinned by the lack of an extension to the collective bargaining agreement.

NY Giants release linebacker Antonio Pierce | - NJ.com

david garrard has it....

True but it was discovered only AFTER he was drafted and playing in NFL. Talked to my wife this morning, you get flu like symptons when you are in an active phase you lose weight and the infected part of your intenstines gets scared and has to be removed. People are usually thin and hard time holding weight. After enough infections (think Herpes as the infections just come and go as they please) and removing peices of the intestines little by little over time - you have not so much intenstines left and are thin and weak- so many people have to go on early retirement (can't hold a job) - naturally that would be only long AFTER his NFL playing days are over. But still the diarriah and flu like symptoms is not going to allow you to perform at peak performance while in an active phase. Poor kid just cost himself several millions of dollars in the draft......plus a lifetime of on and off misery.

You can only try to manage the disease - you cannot beat it. And you will your infected intenstines surgically removed little by little over time - it affects your bodies ability to absorb nutrition from food obviously. It will really depend how severe and how often his past active phases have been. But it WILL affect his draft stock - no question.

More about David Garrads and Crohns....from About.com

"Jacksonville Jaguar Quarterback David Garrard first experienced symptoms of Crohn’s disease at the end of the NFL season, in January 2003. The diagnosis was confirmed with a colonoscopy, and Garrard began treatment. His management plan included Canasa, prednisone, and finally, Remicade. These therapies failed, and Garrard lost 35 pounds from his 6’2” frame. In June of 2004, he underwent surgery to remove about 1 foot of intestine.
After surgery, Garrard recovered quickly and regained the weight he had lost. A post-surgery examination showed that his gastrointestinal tract was free of Crohn’s. After a routine colonoscopy revealed traces of Crohn’s last year, Garrard again underwent treatment with Remicade, and as of July 2006 is Crohn’s-free."

because he wouldn't be off the field based on his coverage skills?

the guy who would come off is mayo, and it ain't gonna be for guyton

let me explain

as of now

2 down. Mayo / (Guyton/McKenzie/3rd day draft Pick)
3rd down package Mayo/(Guyton [both or either] Big safety)

i see alot of depth do you think we are bad enough that you will spend 22nd pick on him over a 3-4 RDE ,Gaurd/Center,TE,WR - OLB 2nd as i do not want to spend 2nd on a conversion player.

Last edited:
You mean he has the speed to cover dallas clark type and play inside taking on gaurds in a 3-4 ?. sorry i have not seen him play so i little shocked at that size ,speed and fludity .He must be covering WR in the college then.

I didn't know he was going to play dallas clark every week.......but I'm laughing at you if you think guyton even has a chance in that regard.......

I didn't know he was going to play dallas clark every week.......but I'm laughing at you if you think guyton even has a chance in that regard.......

We go to the 3 safety package against receving TEs.

so we will have
Mayo
mclain
guyton
mckenzie

but only 1 ILB spot on base 3rd down. If its 3rd long we pull a DE for another rusher but for 3rd-5 or less you need to be strong against the run and pass.so you pull 1 ILB for a coverage safety. we played 50% of our snaps in sub-packages and the 3 safety sub package is our most played subpackage.

Last edited:
He'll fall like a stone with that. Didn't a patriots player develop colitis and have to retire early? Daryl Haley or something, either a lineman or DL.

It is sad.

That would be because I don't refute much, if anything, regarding Rolando McClain's ability to play in pass coverage, tackle shedding or play making. What I disputed in my initial post was the timed speed of Rolando McClain, which, for some odd reason, wrinkled one of your testicles.

I have no real desire to take a negative position on McClain's coverage, technique or productivity in college simply to satisfy some underlying desire you appear to have to discuss Tedy Bruschi, my fundamental lack of a sense of reality or my atrophied knowledge of college football. I simply wanted to point out, for what - the second time in three months - that McClain's physical attributes have been inflated by many fans and folks in the draft press.

You appear to want to dispute this opinion of mine, yet have offered nothing to the contrary. Instead, you would seemingly rather discuss Tedy Bruschi's ATTITUDE, my ignorance, my mother and other varied topics.

So, now that we will never know how McClain times in comparison with this peers, we can each proclaim a victory of sorts, trash the other and move on to more fertile argument grounds.

Let's face it. The guy's 40 time has very little to do with his ability to play LB. Look at Guyton - the guy ran a 4.47, but he doesn't play anywhere near that fast. If McClain and Spikes drop solely because of their 40 times, then some lucky teams will be very happy to have him just like the Ravens are very happy that Suggs ran a 4.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back