PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McClain Dropping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the signing of Dansby by Miami affect McClain? Could he possibly slide some as I read only 3-4 team would've an interest in him due to his lack of side-to-side speed or what have you.

If he isn't selected in the top ten, then I believe either San Francisco or Pittsburgh could select him if not Miami. I doubt Denver would select him over an offensive player (wide receiver, tight end or offensive lineman).

11. DEN 3-4
12. MIA 3-4
13. SF 3-4
14. SEA
15. NYG
16. TEN
17. SF
18. PIT 3-4
19. ATL
20. HOU
21. CIN

The bolded are the teams that could take McClain right now IMO.
Seattle or SanFran would be good trading partners if we were to trade up.

The bolded are the teams that could take McClain right now IMO.
Seattle or SanFran would be good trading partners if we were to trade up.

So, you think that Denver, Seattle, San Fran, Giants, and Titans all could look at McClain.

Denver - They need a NT. Also need 3-4 DEs. They have DJ Williams and Andra Davis right now. They also need a center after letting theirs go.

Seattle - McClain is said to be a 3-4 ILB because he supposedly doesn't have the range to play MLB. Not sure how this is a good fit unless you are moving him to OLB..

San Fran - I can see McClain as a replacement for Takeo Spikes. However, the right side of San Fran's O-line is a huge issue.

Giants - They liked the play of Goff. And with the reported range issues of McClain, I'm not sure hoe he's a fit for them..

Titans - See Seattle and San Fran.

Atlanta - See Seattle and San Fran.

That being said, yes, any one of the teams ahead of the Pats could take McClain. But any one of the teams ahead of the Pats could have taken Wilfork as well when Wilfork was touted as a top 10 pick.

Looking at those teams, McClain could easily slide down to #22. And there's no guarantee that BB will take him even if that does happen. Remember the time that one linebacker fell that everyone seemed so high on but BB passed? Oh what was his name. Napoleon Harris in 2002. Yeah I think that was the guy. And he also passed on Manny Lawson in 2006. And he passed on Jon Beason in 2007. Not to mention Matthews and Laurinitis in 2009. And no Maualuga was not a fit.

So if you look at the history of the draft, BB saw fit to draft only one linebacker high in the 1st round - and that was Jerod Mayo who made an impact as DROY in his first season.

That tells me that BB is looking for productive impact players in round 1. Can McClain come into the Pats defense and become a difference maker from the get go? Hmmmm.

And even if he could perhaps the next question would be - Is there more of an overall benefit to the Pats defense in upgrading a Wright to an Odrick or a Guyton to a McClain?

Last edited:
Interestingly, only three linebackers (four if you count Orakpo) were selected in the first round of the 2009 draft. Three of those players made the Pro Bowl. Brian Cushing, Brian Orakpo and Clay Matthews (injury replacement). The other linebacker was Aaron Curry.

In my opinion, Denver must decide on who'll be their starting quarterback and starting wide receiver opposite Eddie Royal. The Broncos have Kyle Orton (who isn't the longterm answer), Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler as free agents. They'd drafted Robert Ayers last year, so they might not draft a DE/OLB in the first round again.

As said, Miami recently signed Karlos Dansby to start with Channing Crowder at inside linebacker. The Dolphins resigned Chad Pennington as a backup. Davone Bess, Anthony Fasano and Jason Taylor are free agents. And they just cut Gibril Wilson and Joey Porter.

San Francisco makes the most sense because they've two first round picks and can afford to take a chance on McClain. The 49ers can use depth at wide receiver and corner back with Isaac Bruce, Arnaz Battle, Dre' Bly and Marcus Hudson among others as free agents. They could trade for a starting quarterback if Alex Smith isn't the longterm answer.

Pittsburgh could start McClain with Lawrence Timmons as veteran James Farrior is getting older. In my opinion, the Steelers need depth at safety and corner back with the injury proneness of Troy Polamalu, and William Gay, Ryan Clark, Deshea Townsend, Keiwan Ratliff and Tyrone Carter are free agents. Probably, could use a backup quarterback as well. Charlie Batch is a free agent.

I don't see any of the non 3-4 teams selecting McClain. Again, it'll be either the 49ers or the Steelers selecting him in the first round. If he's there for the Patriots, I don't think it'll matter if history dictates that they'll pass on him or trade down. Because if McClain is valued higher than players such as Sergio Kindle, Dan Williams or Jared Odrick. Then they'll select him... Because McClain at pick twenty-two equals good value. In other words, you didn't have to reach for him.

Last edited:
Interestingly, only three linebackers (four if you count Orakpo) were selected in the first round of the 2009 draft. Three of those players made the Pro Bowl. Brian Cushing, Brian Orakpo and Clay Matthews (injury replacement). The other linebacker was Aaron Curry.

In my opinion, Denver must decide on who'll be their starting quarterback and starting wide receiver opposite Eddie Royal. The Broncos have Kyle Orton (who isn't the longterm answer), Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler as free agents. They'd drafted Robert Ayers last year, so they might not draft a DE/OLB in the first round again.

As said, Miami recently signed Karlos Dansby to start with Channing Crowder at inside linebacker. The Dolphins resigned Chad Pennington as a backup. Davone Bess, Anthony Fasano and Jason Taylor are free agents. And they just cut Gibril Wilson and Joey Porter.

San Francisco makes the most sense because they've two first round picks and can afford to take a chance on McClain. The 49ers can use depth at wide receiver and corner back with Isaac Bruce, Arnaz Battle, Dre' Bly and Marcus Hudson among others as free agents. They could trade for a starting quarterback if Alex Smith isn't the longterm answer.

Pittsburgh could start McClain with Lawrence Timmons as veteran James Farrior is getting older. In my opinion, the Steelers need depth at safety and corner back with the injury proneness of Troy Polamalu, and William Gay, Ryan Clark, Deshea Townsend, Keiwan Ratliff and Tyrone Carter are free agents. Probably, could use a backup quarterback as well. Charlie Batch is a free agent.

I don't see any of the non 3-4 teams selecting McClain. Again, it'll be either the 49ers or the Steelers selecting him in the first round. If he's there for the Patriots, I don't think it'll matter if history dictates that they'll pass on him or trade down. Because if McClain is valued higher than players such as Sergio Kindle, Dan Williams or Jared Odrick. Then they'll select him... Because McClain at pick twenty-two equals good value. In other words, you didn't have to reach for him.

Miami. Maybe? Parcels loves LBs but they also need offensive line help and a NT.

San Fransisco? Badly in need of offensive line help. Also looking at Spiller closely according to local media to take the load off an often injured Gore. Also Add in Clements is in the final year of his contract. This team needs secondary help too. I doubt McClain goes to them. They already have Willis.

Pittsburgh. Depends how they are drafting this year. Are they going best available or are they drafting out of need? Clearly Ben got clobbered last year and they could use some o-line help.

Seattle. LB is the deepest position on this team. Probably top 3 in the nfl. W Jones is at the end of his career. Offensive line is horrid, no rb to speak of. QB is in the extreme twilight of his career. This team has holes everywhere but LB.

Denver. I'm not sure. NT is an issue, WR is gaping if Marshal leaves. Again, best available player could be a factor.

I think that it is misleading to look at the needs of the teams in front of us. IMHO, if McClain is available at 19 or 20 or 21, someone will trade up to get him.

Mclain could drop to the pats!

On the other hand BB also screwed up by not taking David Harris sure fire ILB and good replacement. He WOULD have stopped ray rice on that play, I know it.

Passed on him into the 2nd too. Good one.:bricks:

Mclain could drop to the pats!

On the other hand BB also screwed up by not taking David Harris sure fire ILB and good replacement. He WOULD have stopped ray rice on that play, I know it.

Passed on him into the 2nd too. Good one.:bricks:

Oh, you mean in the draft wherein we picked up Brandon Meriweather, who just came off his first pro-bowl appearance, and then didn't pick again until the 4th? Oh, yeah, we passed on him in the second, all right.

I don't mind most posters, but you intentionally make inflammatory remarks that are patently untrue. Why do you spend so much time here? :confused:

So, you think that Denver, Seattle, San Fran, Giants, and Titans all could look at McClain.

Denver - They need a NT. Also need 3-4 DEs. They have DJ Williams and Andra Davis right now. They also need a center after letting theirs go.

Seattle - McClain is said to be a 3-4 ILB because he supposedly doesn't have the range to play MLB. Not sure how this is a good fit unless you are moving him to OLB..

San Fran - I can see McClain as a replacement for Takeo Spikes. However, the right side of San Fran's O-line is a huge issue.

Giants - They liked the play of Goff. And with the reported range issues of McClain, I'm not sure hoe he's a fit for them..

Titans - See Seattle and San Fran.

Atlanta - See Seattle and San Fran.

That being said, yes, any one of the teams ahead of the Pats could take McClain. But any one of the teams ahead of the Pats could have taken Wilfork as well when Wilfork was touted as a top 10 pick.

I think Seatle and San Fran are two teams that would probably pass on McClain at this point so they would probably be good trading partners if we were to trade up. But honestly if he slips past the Giants any team that would pick McClain would do so because he is the BPA and not on a position of need basis.

Oh, you mean in the draft wherein we picked up Brandon Meriweather, who just came off his first pro-bowl appearance, and then didn't pick again until the 4th? Oh, yeah, we passed on him in the second, all right.

I don't mind most posters, but you intentionally make inflammatory remarks that are patently untrue. Why do you spend so much time here? :confused:

I wish people wouldn't respond to this guy. he's on my ignore list, and he's a troll.

Wha? I thought we had a pick in the 2nd that year. If not we TRADED it, ie he decided not to pick Harris and trade the pick away. So he could have chosen Harris if he wanted to, but didn't. And he's a very good ILB perfect for our 3-4.

I think if mcclain is there .. they take him w.out a doubt..he is a great team guy and super instinctive. He breathes football.

Also I could also see the pats using this draft to target 3 players they want and make it happen.. I would love to see mcclain / golden tate / hughes..

We traded for Welker. Let's see . . . I'll take an all-pro WR over an above average ILB any day. I like Harris as a player, but there's no real way we could have acquired his services in the 07 draft unless we passed on either Meri or WW. I don't think I like the sound of that.

We traded for Welker. Let's see . . . I'll take an all-pro WR over an above average ILB any day. I like Harris as a player, but there's no real way we could have acquired his services in the 07 draft unless we passed on either Meri or WW. I don't think I like the sound of that.

I THOUGHT he passed on him twice and we traded the 2nd for welker before the draft. I may be wrong about that, maybe that WAS the year we didn't have a 2nd b/c of welker.
Still I do blame him for not drafting developable OLB and ILBs and just using washed up retreads like Burgess and Beisel.

Last edited:
I don't think BB would trade up for McClain. He might even pass on him at 22. I like McClain though and could see BB taking him at #22 if Saban gives the thumbs up report.

Wha? I thought we had a pick in the 2nd that year. If not we TRADED it, ie he decided not to pick Harris and trade the pick away. So he could have chosen Harris if he wanted to, but didn't. And he's a very good ILB perfect for our 3-4.

So you'd rather have David Harris than Wes Welker? Because that is where our second rounder went. The kind of bull**** some people here will spew to diss Belichick is unbelievable.

Miami. Maybe? Parcels loves LBs but they also need offensive line help and a NT.

San Fransisco? Badly in need of offensive line help. Also looking at Spiller closely according to local media to take the load off an often injured Gore. Also Add in Clements is in the final year of his contract. This team needs secondary help too. I doubt McClain goes to them. They already have Willis.

Miami already have Paul Soliai and Tony McDaniel at nose tackle. Both players will be free agents in 2011. But Miami could likely target a player such as Terrence Cody in the second round. The Dolphins must add play-makers on offense to help Chad Henne besides drafting an offensive lineman. Who are their play-makers? An injury prone Ronnie Brown and an aging Ricky Williams. Trading for Anquan Boldin could've helped...

San Fransisco already has Glen Coffee who they'd drafted last year to complement Frank Gore. So there isn't a major need to select CJ Spiller if he falls to them at thirteen. In my opinion, you pass on Spiller... I mean it isn't as if Gore is nearing the end of his career--he's twenty-six. They should go defense. Yeah, they've Patrick Willis but they also have an aging Takeo Spikes playing beside him. McClain could be an upgrade and an infusion of more youth at linebacker. And there will be plenty of corner backs and safeties available in the second and third round.

From a very good, well known scout on Twitter:

McClain isn't in the same class as stud LBs in recent draft classes. Willis, Beason, Curry and 3 SC LBs from last year.

So, if he isn't a beast, why draft him in the first round? No need here.

McClain isn't in the same class as stud LBs in recent draft classes. Willis, Beason, Curry and 3 SC LBs from last year.

Who is this well known scout? What is the twitter address?

Obviously the well-known scout doesn't distinguish between 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. McClain doesn't have the athleticism of any of those guys, but he is as instinctive and tough as any of them, plus we know he can produce in our defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes