PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McClain Dropping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the combine over? Are all the numbers available as to what the players did?

I'd like to see exactly what McClain did.

I've seen Rolando McClain run a ton in the SEC over the past couple years and if he runs a 4.5 in the combine, I will eat a pair of dirty socks. I'm guessing he'll time close to the way he plays - slow. 4.75 to 4.85.

The NFL Combine this year will destroy the legend of Rolando McClain.

*LOL* Clearly someone who has no concept of the game. If McClain was as slow as you claim, he wouldn't be such a highly touted prospect. He also wouldn't have been the best ILB in College.

Francis.. I think I hear your mom calling you... You better run home...

OH, BTW, Bruschi only ran in the 4.8 range..

Last edited:
If McClain was as slow as you claim, he wouldn't be such a highly touted prospect. He also wouldn't have been the best ILB in College.

*LOL* Clearly someone who has no concept of "busts", I seem to remember Ryan Leaf being a highly touted prospect as well as Vern Gholston and many, many more.

People would just throw all over us again.

the pats are not going to take a pass rusher in the first round any ways.

there are two many holes on the D line. here are the 5 players i can see the pats takeing in the first round.

Sergio Kindle, is the only OLB i can see the pats takeing in the first round he is the only 3 down LB that can set the edge. and has some size 6.4 254lbs

Rolando McClain, if he falls you have to take him he is top 15 talent.

Jared Odrick, DE the pats have to replace seymour. and odrick, would be a good start.

Dan Williams, NT if they trade wilfork.

Mike Iupati, he would be a great replacement for neal,

the pats are not going to take a pure pass rusher like Jerry Hughes, in the first round cause he would only be a 3rd down pass rusher with the pats and if wright, is blocking for him he wont get to the QB

the only way the pats don't go DL or OL with #22 is if some one like McClain, or Dez Bryant, fall. the pats have three #2's to get a pass rusher. like norwood or Hughes, with.

*LOL* Clearly someone who has no concept of the game. If McClain was as slow as you claim, he wouldn't be such a highly touted prospect. He also wouldn't have been the best ILB in College.

Francis.. I think I hear your mom calling you... You better run home...

OH, BTW, Bruschi only ran in the 4.8 range..

And where was Tedy drafted after running in the 4.8 range, despite being the best player on one of the most renowned defenses of the last 25 years of college football? Or, better yet, how many seasons did it take Bruschi to become a full time starter in the NFL?

My comment had basically nothing to do with the ability of Rolando McClain to become a successful starter in the NFL. It was more with a continued shattering of illusions where McClain is concerned. During the college season, this player's physical attributes grew seemingly exponentially as his team's success and his own productivity rose. He has already lost an inch of height without performing a single drill. Despite your derision, I hold to the expectation that he will run somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.75 in the 40. If you watched Curry at Wake two seasons ago and compared his speed to Rolando McClain's this past season, I would be legitimately shocked if anyone would claim they showed equal running speed.

It doesn't mean I think McClain sucks. It doesn't mean I believe he will be an unsuccessful pro. It means, when I watched McClain run on the football field, he always seemed a little closer to lumbering than gazelle-like. A lot of folks who like to talk about the Draft on the interweb discount Brandon Spikes and his chances as a pro because they expect him to run the 40 and its splits slow for a ILB. I'm expecting Spikes and McClain to show very similar physical attributes after all is said and done with the Combine.

Rolando McClain=Overrated!

Bruschi didn't have Mayo who was also a first round pick next to him.

Let's get our history correct in regard to Bruschi. Bruschi was a 3rd round pick who was an undersized D-lineman. Until Dwight Freeney came along, he had the NCAA record for sacks. He was drafted by Parcells even though he had no natural position. He was first pure STs, then a situational OLB, then a situation ILB, before he became the 3 down ILB we all remember.

For the best years of his career, he had Ted Johnson playing next to him, who was an early second round pick.

Now you can debate away as to the merits of drafting an ILB at 22.

*LOL* Clearly someone who has no concept of "busts", I seem to remember Ryan Leaf being a highly touted prospect as well as Vern Gholston and many, many more.

I've probably got a better concept of "BUSTS" than you could ever imagine. Ryan Leaf was an immature malcontent coming out of College and people said he needed to grow up.

Gholston isn't a bust, yet. This is his make or break year.

OH, and I'll take the word of someone who has continually shown they have a clue what they are talking about (Ochmed Jones) over crumudgeons like yourself and Francis who haven't.

spikes didn't run, either....brandon graham is out of the combine.......guess the pats won't be drafting any of these guys.....they are all worthless and weak

Last edited:
spikes didn't run, either....brandon graham is out of the combine.......guess the pats won't be drafting any of these guys.....they are all worthless and weak

I wouldn't say that. But they need to bounce back with strong Pro Days.
Apparently McClain was injured? Hadn't heard that before.

And where was Tedy drafted after running in the 4.8 range, despite being the best player on one of the most renowned defenses of the last 25 years of college football? Or, better yet, how many seasons did it take Bruschi to become a full time starter in the NFL?

Are you really that stupid that you want to have this conversation? Because it's clear you haven't done an ounce of homework on the subject. First, and foremost, Bruschi was UNDERSIZED DE coming out of college and was seen as a situational pass rushing defensive end who was a liability against the run. It was only thanks to the move to OLB and then to ILB that he became a star because of his ATTITUDE as well as ability. Also, Bruschi became a full-time starter in 1998 after replacing Todd Collins at WLB.

My comment had basically nothing to do with the ability of Rolando McClain to become a successful starter in the NFL. It was more with a continued shattering of illusions where McClain is concerned. During the college season, this player's physical attributes grew seemingly exponentially as his team's success and his own productivity rose. He has already lost an inch of height without performing a single drill. Despite your derision, I hold to the expectation that he will run somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.75 in the 40. If you watched Curry at Wake two seasons ago and compared his speed to Rolando McClain's this past season, I would be legitimately shocked if anyone would claim they showed equal running speed.

My derision is justified. You offered NOTHING to support your opinion. You offered no analysis on McClain's techniques. You offered nothing on his pass coverage ability. You offered nothing on his ability to shed tackles. You offered nothing about his play-making abilities.

As for the height thing, get a clue. Colleges regularly lie about player heights. It's a given. So, this idea that McClain's physical attributes grew exponentially with Alabama's success is just a figment of your own imagination. Oh, and McClain was listed at 6'4 on ESPN and came in at a height of 6'3 and 3/8ths. So the kid lost a hole 5/8 of an inch, unless of course you realize that the Alabama probably just rounded UP..

As for what shocks you, I am sure reality does that everyday. Especially when you make all sorts of bogus claims without any support.

It doesn't mean I think McClain sucks. It doesn't mean I believe he will be an unsuccessful pro. It means, when I watched McClain run on the football field, he always seemed a little closer to lumbering than gazelle-like. A lot of folks who like to talk about the Draft on the interweb discount Brandon Spikes and his chances as a pro because they expect him to run the 40 and its splits slow for a ILB. I'm expecting Spikes and McClain to show very similar physical attributes after all is said and done with the Combine.

How fast Spikes runs is only part of it if you actually bothered to listen to what people say. Many also take about how Spikes isn't quick off the snap which McClain is. McClain also tends to read and react better than Spikes. The 40 time doesn't mean a LOT if the player is in the spot to make the play to begin with and isn't playing catch-up.

Instead of being stupid about it, us facts. Build your case. Talk about the things that matter. Don't because part of the problem, which you have up until this point. You are as bad as the people who are over-touting McClain.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that. But they need to bounce back with strong Pro Days.
Apparently McClain was injured? Hadn't heard that before.

Yeah supposedly his hamstring was tight.

My derision is justified. You offered NOTHING to support your opinion. You offered no analysis on McClain's techniques. You offered nothing on his pass coverage ability. You offered nothing on his ability to shed tackles. You offered nothing about his play-making abilities.

That would be because I don't refute much, if anything, regarding Rolando McClain's ability to play in pass coverage, tackle shedding or play making. What I disputed in my initial post was the timed speed of Rolando McClain, which, for some odd reason, wrinkled one of your testicles.

I have no real desire to take a negative position on McClain's coverage, technique or productivity in college simply to satisfy some underlying desire you appear to have to discuss Tedy Bruschi, my fundamental lack of a sense of reality or my atrophied knowledge of college football. I simply wanted to point out, for what - the second time in three months - that McClain's physical attributes have been inflated by many fans and folks in the draft press.

You appear to want to dispute this opinion of mine, yet have offered nothing to the contrary. Instead, you would seemingly rather discuss Tedy Bruschi's ATTITUDE, my ignorance, my mother and other varied topics.

So, now that we will never know how McClain times in comparison with this peers, we can each proclaim a victory of sorts, trash the other and move on to more fertile argument grounds.

There are things about McClain that I personally don't like; though im not sure how the Pats organization feels about such...

1. He plays with terrible leverage...tackles high doesn't explode from the waist

2. Isn't terribly strong...you can get away with it in the NCAA but im not sure how he'll adjust to the pro's im not sure if he particpated in lifting at the combine or not but i would guess he wouldn't perform that well at the bench or squat rack from film of him.

3. A problem i would personally have with him and others is not working out at the combine...you run what you run you lift what you can lift...As a coach I love players that just wana compete. Someone who bows out or isnt up to it and wants to perform in his own practice facility would be a red flag to me. Same goes for players like Brandon Spikes...everyone knows ur not runnin a 4.4 4.5 and probably not even a 4.6 40 but go out there and competing shows a lot of one's character.

McClain is still a top 12 player IMO despite the problems - will likely go in the early teens

Last edited:
3. A problem i would personally have with him and others is not working out at the combine...you run what you run you lift what you can lift...As a coach I love players that just wana compete. Someone who bows out or isnt up to it and wants to perform in his own practice facility would be a red flag to me. Same goes for players like Brandon Spikes...everyone knows ur not runnin a 4.4 4.5 and probably not even a 4.6 40 but go out there and competing shows a lot of one's character.

Spikes chickening out should hurt him pretty badly. Jumping 4-5" lower than Ndam Suh did at over 300 lbs ain't going to help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back