PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McClain Dropping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren94

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Alabama ILB Rolando McClain is reportedly not even in the top 32 on some teams' draft boards.

McClain's speed and agility testing will be key because it's believed he may not run better than 4.7 in the forty. 4-3 teams want middle linebackers to have sideline-to-sideline range. McClain may be billed strictly as a 3-4 inside 'backer if he doesn't excel in movement drills over the weekend

Alabama ILB Rolando McClain is reportedly not even in the top 32 on some teams' draft boards.

McClain's speed and agility testing will be key because it's believed he may not run better than 4.7 in the forty. 4-3 teams want middle linebackers to have sideline-to-sideline range. McClain may be billed strictly as a 3-4 inside 'backer if he doesn't excel in movement drills over the weekend

If he isn't and he falls to the Pats ala Wilfork, I'd be tickled pink..

That being said, this is the Combine time of year and rumors like this start flying all the time in an effort for a team to try and get the player they want..

yeah,

definitely the political positioning. if BB passes on him I think I'll toss my tv out the window but we'll see.

He may drop some if his combine numbers aren't elite but I don't see him getting past NYG @15.

If we do manage to snag him do you think we would move GG to OLB? Seems to me he would be better on the outside than inside.

There are still a couple of 3-4 teams picking in front of the Patriots that could pick him up (Denver, Miami, Pittsburgh), so I don't think 4-3 teams passing on McClain will increase our chances that much... :(

Sounds great! Hopefully he drops all the way down to 22. I'm sure Saban will give BB the inside info on this kid as well. Could we see the pipeline in action in this year's draft??

Still think we should go to a 4-3...then we wouldn't need all these high rond draft picks to man our system.

I'm thinking more a "big line" 4-3 with wright, warren, pryor and wilfork/brace.

Not the puny 4-3 where the DEs get run over in the run game.

If we can control the line, this thing just might work! Plus Mayo with his banged up knee would be better off not getting run over and blasted out of the hole by OGs and FBs. :rocker:

I expect McClain is going to run in the high 4.5's based on tape, but even if he runs a 4.7, chances are he still won't make it by Miami.

I expect McClain is going to run in the high 4.5's based on tape, but even if he runs a 4.7, chances are he still won't make it by Miami.

Doesn't Miami need to replace Jason Taylor? I'd think they'd want to draft a DE/OLB hybrid to get after Tom Brady. Perhaps JPP or Derrick Morgan if he lasts that long.

Last edited:
Still think we should go to a 4-3...then we wouldn't need all these high rond draft picks to man our system.

I'm thinking more a "big line" 4-3 with wright, warren, pryor and wilfork/brace.

Not the puny 4-3 where the DEs get run over in the run game.

If we can control the line, this thing just might work! Plus Mayo with his banged up knee would be better off not getting run over and blasted out of the hole by OGs and FBs. :rocker:

where does the pass rush come if we use the "big line" D Line?

where does the pass rush come if we use the "big line" D Line?

The linemen stunt sometimes, which can be effective, also the OLB blitz and the ILB blitzes sometimes....safety blitzes....the main thing is to not allow the run with a huge 4-3.

He is not dropping that far. I don't see him getting past San Fransisco. Good 40 or not the guy can play football. He is not going to blow up the combine like Willis but he is definately a player that seems to have the knack of making plays all over the field. Ala Bruschi and few others we've seen.

I don't even see him making it past pick 10.

If he falls to #22, and BB passes, the T.V may be smashed.

There are still a couple of 3-4 teams picking in front of the Patriots that could pick him up (Denver, Miami, Pittsburgh), so I don't think 4-3 teams passing on McClain will increase our chances that much... :(

Denver - They have bigger issues than their ILBs...

Pittsburgh - They could definitely be in the market for an ILB of McClain's quality. Though CB and Safety are both issues for them right now.

Miami - They could go after McClain. But, with the issues at OLB (they have lost 3 in the past 6 months - Roth, Taylor, Porter). I see ILB and NT being being priorities for them.

He is not dropping that far. I don't see him getting past San Fransisco. Good 40 or not the guy can play football. He is not going to blow up the combine like Willis but he is definately a player that seems to have the knack of making plays all over the field. Ala Bruschi and few others we've seen.

I don't even see him making it past pick 10.

I'm not sure the 49ers will go for him. They are searching for a safety and Taylor Mays seems like a guy who they are enamored with..

I could see Mays going to ole Seattle with Petey up there

Well we usually see and hear abou this stuff after the draft but its just a smoke screen.. He'll be a top 20 pick at worst.. The LB's from USC last year didn't break 4.7.. To funny..

Overrated and the last thing we should be doing is spending another first round pick on a ILB.

Since the combine just started this is somewhat premature but I wouldn't be exactly surprised didn't a lot of ILB/MLB prospects drop last year?

Wilfork dropped to 21. And depending on team needs, McClain could also drop to 22 if he doesn't wow people at the Combines. We'll just have to see how he does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey