PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCauley

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know he's not a cool name to be wanting right now but looking at the splits on NFLDraftScout, from the combine; I assume they have the numbers right, his numbers stick out as the second fastest CB behind Leon Hall. This is across the board, the 40 but also he had the second best cone, the fourth best shuttle, the best 10 yard, a top five or six 20 yard.

We may be outthinking ourselves on some of these guys. For example he was similar to Josh Wilson in the 40 and 20 but SMOKED him in the shuttle (4.17 to 4.43) and cone (6.61 to 7.07). Similar 10s but McCauley had the best of all the CB in that.

For a guy who's 6'1", 203 pounds that combine was kind of sick, I didn't realize he did that well.

He's one of the big mystery men in the draft. I'd call Brian Robison another. Both seem to be swimming in athletic talent...why not a bigger impact on the field?

I agree that his on field play this year is a concern but depending what Pat Hill tells Billy, I'm keeping my eye on him - for one of the bigger CB in the draft to put up the second best (overall) speed and quickness numbers is a real eyebrow raiser.

I LOVE McCauley's game... I think there is a MORE then solid chance that he goes to NE @ 1.28 (if we dont trade out).

I actually have him ranked as the second best CB prospect in the draft after Darelle Revis, and just selected him in a readers Mock that I am participating in on Fanball.

Here is my write up on him:

1.28 New England- Marcus McCauley CB Fresno State 6'0 205

McCauley is the second highest rated CB prospect on my draft board (after Darelle Revis). His collegiate stats are a bit mis-leading because teams did not elect to throw in his direction very much. Marcus has the size, speed (4.3), athleticism, and instincts to be a big time play-maker at the next level. He is fluid enough to go step for step with WR’s in Man coverage, but also excels in zone. Against the run, McCauley is an above average tackler, who plays very aggressively. Touted as a "natural leader" on defense by HC (and Bill Belichick disciple) Pat Hill; the “smart” hard working McCauley could thrive in the NE secondary.

Last edited:
McCauley is a pure "In BB and his friends we trust" situation.

Pat Hill has praised him to the skies. Pat Hill has benched him for lack of effort.

Pat Hill's judgment of the young man is the deciding factor, or at least is a crucial input into Beoli's own judgment of him.

McCauley is a pure "In BB and his friends we trust" situation.

Pat Hill has praised him to the skies. Pat Hill has benched him for lack of effort.

Pat Hill's judgment of the young man is the deciding factor, or at least is a crucial input into Beoli's own judgment of him.

This is probably just about it. The guy was outstanding in his junior year, but benched towards the end of his senior year. A real mixed bag. I suspect only strong personal endorsement from Pat Hill gets him onto the Pats in round one.

If he can get his head together he can be a very good player. BB/Scott will dig deeper than any one of us can, so if they find he's a Patriot type player, then we should take him after Willis.

See I was all over McCauley prior to the season as a future Patriot. Marcus played very well the season before, and was actually their best CB (even better than Marshall, who I loved). This past season he flashed his talents at times, but for some reason didn't show it consistantly. Also he played pretty physical in '05, and during some '06 games, but McCauley started shying away from contact, and started playing at a lessor level as the season progressed. Some think he was trying to protect against injury, but as Marcus himself admitted he was trying to do to much. He was all over the field a lot of times trying to cover for the weaknesses of teammates, which sometimes found Marcus out of position.

If Pat Hill gives him a good review I would be fine with drafting him, because Marcus is very talented. Marcus is also extremely versatile and can play all four secondary positions which makes him more appealing. Considering McCauley's talent and how well BB's coaching staff has developed CB's, I think Marcus could turn into an elite CB.

Even though Marcus regressed, or didn't live up to expectation in '06, a lot of scouting reports still say he has the talent to develop into an elite cover corner:

"With all that said, McCauley still possesses the physical tools of a premier NFL cover corner, including an exceptional combination of size, athletic ability and speed. McCauley could slip to the end of the first round or beginning of the second round, in which case he's worth the gamble as a risk-reward prospect with loads of upside." - Scouts Inc.

Everybody here keeps talking about his PHYSICAL SKILLS. However the Pats value what is going on in the Player's head as much as his body. HUGE alarm bells have to be ringing when a supposedly FIRST Round NFL prospect is benched at the end of the season. So don't talk to me about how well he ran around cones, that stuff JUST speaks to POTENTIAL. We need to deal with PRODUCTION. Remember this kid didn't just suck at the end of the year, he sucked at the senior bowl too.

In one sense, assuming Hill gives his blessing, this may work to the Pats advantage. I see McCauley dropping to the second round. I wouldn't hate it if the Pats took him in there, while picking up and extra pick next year.

BOTTOM LINE: For all we know McCauley, based on Hill's recommendation, McCauley could be OFF the Pats' draft board compeletly.

Everybody here keeps talking about his PHYSICAL SKILLS. However the Pats value what is going on in the Player's head as much as his body. HUGE alarm bells have to be ringing when a supposedly FIRST Round NFL prospect is benched at the end of the season. So don't talk to me about how well he ran around cones, that stuff JUST speaks to POTENTIAL. We need to deal with PRODUCTION. Remember this kid didn't just suck at the end of the year, he sucked at the senior bowl too.

In one sense, assuming Hill gives his blessing, this may work to the Pats advantage. I see McCauley dropping to the second round. I wouldn't hate it if the Pats took him in there, while picking up and extra pick next year.

BOTTOM LINE: For all we know McCauley, based on Hill's recommendation, McCauley could be OFF the Pats' draft board compeletly.

Why do you think we said a lot will depend on what Hill tells BB about McCauley? He has the physical skill to become a very good NFL corner, but his performance in '06 made him less appealing. How was that not evident in previous statements?

I'm only replying to you this way because you said:
"Everybody here keeps talking about his PHYSICAL SKILLS. However the Pats value what is going on in the Player's head as much as his body."

That statement simply is not true (interms of your take on our comments), and the capitalization can be taken as shouting so it makes your post come off a bit rude.

Last edited:
Mayotte was breaking down some of his combine film and it was interesting. When he played press coverage he did really well and stuck with the receiver and made plays. When he played off coverage he played too far off and was getting killed. It was like he was afraid to get beat but when you put him in a situation like press coverage where he was forced to be aggressive he did well. Perhaps a confidence issue.

I haven't seen much of Fresno St. but I'd be interested to know if the game film tells the same tale.

Mayotte was breaking down some of his combine film and it was interesting. When he played press coverage he did really well and stuck with the receiver and made plays. When he played off coverage he played too far off and was getting killed. It was like he was afraid to get beat but when you put him in a situation like press coverage where he was forced to be aggressive he did well. Perhaps a confidence issue.

I haven't seen much of Fresno St. but I'd be interested to know if the game film tells the same tale.

I know one thing McCauley talked about at the senior bawl was the distance they had him playing off. McCauley said something about they wanted him to play a different distance than he is used to. Something like 7 yards v 9 yards. Anyways, McCauley said he had to get used to dropping back a different yardage than he is used to. This would make sense considering This review of his performance at the senior bowl:

"Marcus McCauley, Fresno St – playing better every day, making good breaks on the ball to deflect a few passes" - from the scouting notebook of Sigmund Bloom and Cecil Lammey.

I also read a few other scouting reports that said McCauley looked a lot better day three of practice.

Last edited:

First, McCauley didn't suck at the Senior Bowl. He had a slow start but had a few good days later according to most reports.

Second, Ive never heard of any issues with him other than technique and confidence. By all accounts, even with the bad year he had a good attitude and work ethic.

OK, I'll admit it, I'm on the McCauley bandwagon after looking at his times compared to others.

I know one thing McCauley talked about at the senior bawl was the distance they had him playing off. McCauley said something about they wanted him to play a different distance than he is used to. Something like 7 yards v 9 yards. Anyways, McCauley said he had to get used to dropping back a different yardage than he is used to. This would make sense considering This review of his performance at the senior bowl:

This was a combine breakdown drills breakdown vs receivers not a Senior bowl breakdown. They showed him playing off at different distances and the result was always the same no matter the receiver. In press coverage it was always the same as well, he looked great.

This was a combine breakdown drills breakdown vs receivers not a Senior bowl breakdown. They showed him playing off at different distances and the result was always the same no matter the receiver. In press coverage it was always the same as well, he looked great.

Hmm, don't know you have this video? Do you mean Mike Mayock on NFL network?

Yes it was on NFL Network.

During the combine, or on "path to the draft" I watched Mayock break some of McCauley's video down on path to the draft, and he showed McCauley making a good INT off the corner, but then showed McCauley playing off, and not doing so well. I remember at least one of the video clips he showed of McCauley playing off coming from senior bowl practice, so this is why I ask. He still said he thinks McCauley could turn into a very good corner.

I actually like Mayock, and think he is one of the better, or best scout on the networks. Some of the things he said while breaking down Meriweather's video went along with everything I thought about him. Mayoc actually has Meriweather ranked second behind Landry.

Last edited:
I agree he could be a very good corner but he has red flags so I wouldn't take him in the first.

"Marcus McCauley, Fresno St – playing better every day, making good breaks on the ball to deflect a few passes" - from the scouting notebook of Sigmund Bloom and Cecil Lammey.

I also read a few other scouting reports that said McCauley looked a lot better day three of practice.

Here's another report: http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Senior+Bowl/2007/notes012507.htm

I also feel that, how Pat Hill explains McCauley's senior season to BB, will be the difference.

I agree he could be a very good corner but he has red flags so I wouldn't take him in the first.

Agreed!

Yea, that scouting report above echoes what I have read elsewhere. I think people read about McCauley struggling the first day, and didn't read about his performance the third day, so they think he sucked the entire time he was there, which is not true.

"Fresno State CB Marcus McCauley had a very good practice. On one play, McCauley ran Virginia Tech WR David Clowney’s route for him, giving Clowney little room in the corner in the endzone to make a catch. McCauley said he gave up only one catch today and that he knew what was coming but simply didn't make the play. McCauley closes very well, and he’s adept at knocking the ball out of a receiver’s hands. McCauley looked beaten by Washington State WR Jason Hill, but McCauley recovered to knock the pass away. Hill did not make the most of his opportunities in one-on-one drills vs. the cornerbacks today." - Mike Wilkening

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye