PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCalin ILB Alabama vs. MSU

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Another 10 tackles and a sack.

If we do not get the chance to draft Mount Cody, this guy is second on my ist.

SEC championship game, Alabama vs. Florida. A ton of uber talented Patriot type players on display. May the best team win.

NT Mount Cody Alabama
DE Dunlap Florida
DE Washington Alabama
ILB MCClain Alabama
ILB Spikes Florida
SS Woodall Alabama
CB Haden Florida
CB/KR Areanas Alabama
QB Tebow Florida
TE Hernandez Florida
OG Johnson Alabama
OT Davis Alabama

NT Mount Cody Alabama

Not to be facetious, but how would you see Mt. Cody helping New England, especially if, as it appears, they plan to keep Wilfork?

In particular, let's assume, for the sake of argument, Cody is available at the Pats' first-rounder. What should they do with their seconds if they take him?

Dont get me wrong, i love mcClain and think hes going to be an excellent ILB in the NFL. But we already have a great ILB in mayo and i dont see this fixing our most glaring need, a solid pass rush from the DE/OLB position. We need that McGinest type player who can create pressure as well as provide decent pass coverage. Hopefully we resign Wilfork so we dont have to worry about possibly drafting Cody

McClain is high on my list for our 1st round pick, along with Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech right now. Unfortunately, I doubt either guy will be available when we pick.

McClain and Mayo would be an ILB corps for the ages. But I think I'd rather see us get 2 stud pass rushers - 2 of Morgan, Greg Hardy, Everson Griffen and Carlos Dunlap, or one of those guys and one of Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, Jeremy Beal or Eric Norwood.

While McClain is my favorite SILB prospect, I do think Eric Norwood (who probably slips to the 2nd round) could play SILB and also be used effectively on the pass rush. He is a better rusher than McClain.

Not to be facetious, but how would you see Mt. Cody helping New England, especially if, as it appears, they plan to keep Wilfork?

In particular, let's assume, for the sake of argument, Cody is available at the Pats' first-rounder. What should they do with their seconds if they take him?

I have been and I am continuing to operating under the assumption that Wilfork will be playing in Miami as a Dolphin next season. And we will get a 2011 third round comp pick.

I also believe that Cody projects to be a much better 3-4 NT than Wilfork. I have never seen any 3-4 NT control the "A" gaps like Cody. I have never seen a college NT handle double teams with ease, as I have Cody.

The beauty in drafting him is that he knows our system already. he knows all 91 different blocking combinations that opponents can hit a NT with. He has spent the last two years learning our line calls. (The terminology is almost the same.)

I have been and I am continuing to operating under the assumption that Wilfork will be playing in Miami as a Dolphin next season. And we will get a 2011 third round comp pick.

And you wouldn't franchise him, because?

EDIT: And a player like that will last to our picking range, because?

Last edited:
McClain is high on my list for our 1st round pick, along with Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech right now. Unfortunately, I doubt either guy will be available when we pick.

McClain and Mayo would be an ILB corps for the ages. But I think I'd rather see us get 2 stud pass rushers - 2 of Morgan, Greg Hardy, Everson Griffen and Carlos Dunlap, or one of those guys and one of Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, Jeremy Beal or Eric Norwood.

While McClain is my favorite SILB prospect, I do think Eric Norwood (who probably slips to the 2nd round) could play SILB and also be used effectively on the pass rush. He is a better rusher than McClain.

There is NO doubt in my mind that a pass rushing demon is the most important need on our team. Unfortunately I do not think BB shares our opinion.

PS: I think Norwood is the SEC's leading sacker thus far this season.

And you wouldn't franchise him, because?

EDIT: And a player like that will last to our picking range, because?

I would sh*t the bed if we let Wilfork go for nothing but a compensation pick. I'd rather send him to Oakland (why not, crazy Al is still there), Tampa (they badly need an interior lineman), Seattle (same as Tampa), Texans (same as Tampa), San Francisco (same as Tampa), St. Louis (same as Tampa), Carolina (same as Tampa), and Titans (same as Tampa and would give up alot to get him) before I see Wilfork in Miami.

Realistically, we have strong chances with Seattle, Houston, San Francisco, and Tennessee. Why? It's because these are all teams that are one really good player away from being in elite territory. All other teams either lack the cash, have other glaring needs, or have such a high pick that they could draft Mt. Cody instead.

I know bunch of people just coughed and gagged when I said Tennessee and Houston, but those are the two teams that would pay the most. They would do so because they are in our conference; it would spite the Colts; their coaches are on the hot seat, (Fisher has some explaining to do after the Manning shirt thing and Vince Young's recent play); and they have draft picks that are not high enough to draft one of the top tier interior defensive line men, but high enough to grab a spectacular player like McClain. Since we have so many second round picks, we could find a suitable replacement to Vince if Brace doesn't pan out.

Also, this move could get us one of those premiere pass rushers that we've been waiting to see for years.

I would sh*t the bed if we let Wilfork go for nothing but a compensation pick. I'd rather send him to Oakland (why not, crazy Al is still there), Tampa (they badly need an interior lineman), Seattle (same as Tampa), Texans (same as Tampa), San Francisco (same as Tampa), St. Louis (same as Tampa), Carolina (same as Tampa), and Titans (same as Tampa and would give up alot to get him) before I see Wilfork in Miami.

I think it plays out as follows:

1.) Vince is from Miami.
2.) Miami needs a NT desperately.
3.) Vince knows Parcells will open the vault for him.
4.) Only two players have ever mugged BB for an "A" contract. Brady and Seymour. Both were or projected to be multiple pro bowl type players when their contract came up.

Vince is a good player, don't get me wrong, and I would love to have him locked up long term, but Vince still plays on skates a bit. A solid player but not quite an elite player. (Although this year he is playing his best ever.)

Bottom Line: I think Vince stays only if BB is willing to bleed out the wallet to keep him. Based on BB's history, I don;t see that happening.

I still don't see how that prevents them from tagging him. Miami or another team might pay the price for an elite NT, two won's is steep so this isn't probable but it is plausible. Second maybe they trade his rights for a first and third like Allen out of the division and hopefully out of the conference.

I agree he may not be signed but I cannot see them letting him walk for only a 3rd the season after.

I still don't see how that prevents them from tagging him. Miami or another team might pay the price for an elite NT, two won's is steep so this isn't probable but it is plausible. Second maybe they trade his rights for a first and third like Allen out of the division and hopefully out of the conference.

I agree he may not be signed but I cannot see them letting him walk for only a 3rd the season after.

The tag is certainly an option for BB. I guess we will see come early 2010 what BB does.

If the Phins are stupid enough to pay 2 first round draft picks for Vince Wilfork, then go right ahead. I love Big Vince, but that is an offer that is pretty hard to pass up. I think that Vince can be replaced and he does have a tendency to play on skates. Also, if they do that, we could easily grab McClain with that pick and another stud defensive player next year.

Another guy to watch in this game is Florida's punter Chas Henry. I don't think that he has had a single punt returned yet the year. He has like a 50 yard average and his punts are so high, a fair cacth is almost mandatory. He is a finalist for the Ray Guy award.

Chas Henry, , NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

He is only a Jr. so I doubt that he comes out this year, but he is already the highest rated punter and would most likely not make it out of the 3rd round if he came out.

Another guy to watch in this game is Florida's punter Chas Henry. I don't think that he has had a single punt returned yet the year. He has like a 50 yard average and his punts are so high, a fair cacth is almost mandatory. He is a finalist for the Ray Guy award.

Chas Henry, , NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

He is only a Jr. so I doubt that he comes out this year, but he is already the highest rated punter and would most likely not make it out of the 3rd round if he came out.

And you see BB using a third on a punter, when he's got Hanson?

[Hanson is exasperating. He makes enough mistakes that you want to cut him in a literal sense, but then does just enough good things (see this Sunday) that even when rookies with stronger legs come around, BB decides to stay with Hanson.]

BTW, according to the link, he finally had one returned this week, for all of 6 yards.

Last edited:
I think it plays out as follows:

1.) Vince is from Miami.
2.) Miami needs a NT desperately.
3.) Vince knows Parcells will open the vault for him.
4.) Only two players have ever mugged BB for an "A" contract. Brady and Seymour. Both were or projected to be multiple pro bowl type players when their contract came up.

Vince is a good player, don't get me wrong, and I would love to have him locked up long term, but Vince still plays on skates a bit. A solid player but not quite an elite player. (Although this year he is playing his best ever.)

Bottom Line: I think Vince stays only if BB is willing to bleed out the wallet to keep him. Based on BB's history, I don;t see that happening.

This would make more sense if Miami weren't in the division.

First off, apparently no one in the league agrees with you: according to NFL.com, essentially no one believes that the Pats are going to let Wilfork simply walk (they'll either extend him or tag-and-trade him).

And do you really think BB's just going to let Wilfork traipse down to another team in the division for nothing, and have no control over where he goes?

And you see BB using a third on a punter, when he's got Hanson?

[Hanson is exasperating. He makes enough mistakes that you want to cut him in a literal sense, but then does just enough good things (see this Sunday) that even when rookies with stronger legs come around, BB decides to stay with Hanson.]

BTW, according to the link, he finally had one returned this week, for all of 6 yards.

He used a 4th on the Ghost and I'm pretty sure he doesn't regret that one. Actually what I was thinking is that most teams usually start thinking kicker/punter when rd 4 comnes around, and being a the Pats will most likely pick last in rd 4, they would have to use their 3rd rounder (of which they do not have in the upcoming draft) on a top notch punter.

Georgia also has an accently punter, he is Kevin Butler's son Drew, he is only a Sophmore. Either one of them, or my grandmother would be better than Hanson.

Scouts Inc. had some nice praise for McClain today:

"As for McClain, he is playing better than maybe any defensive player in the country right now. He is an absolute difference maker who has come full circle in terms of instincts, awareness and leadership. McClain plays like a man among boys at times, and he showed up in the most crucial moments in the Iron Bowl against Auburn."

Scouts Inc.: Florida Gators DE Carlos Dunlap and Alabama Crimson Tide ILB Rolando McClain are locking up high draft grades - ESPN

BTW, Carlos Dunlap (also praised by Scouts Inc.) was charged with DUI last night. That will have to be addressed. But someone will jump at him. Right now I have McClain going #10 (to SF) and Dunlap #16 (to the Jets) in my first attempt at a mock.

Scouts Inc. had some nice praise for McClain today:

"As for McClain, he is playing better than maybe any defensive player in the country right now. He is an absolute difference maker who has come full circle in terms of instincts, awareness and leadership. McClain plays like a man among boys at times, and he showed up in the most crucial moments in the Iron Bowl against Auburn."

Scouts Inc.: Florida Gators DE Carlos Dunlap and Alabama Crimson Tide ILB Rolando McClain are locking up high draft grades - ESPN

BTW, Carlos Dunlap (also praised by Scouts Inc.) was charged with DUI last night. That will have to be addressed. But someone will jump at him. Right now I have McClain going #10 (to SF) and Dunlap #16 (to the Jets) in my first attempt at a mock.

Dunlap has been suspended "indefinitely" by Meyer; he is definitely out for the SEC championship game.

Dunlap has been suspended "indefinitely" by Meyer; he is definitely out for the SEC championship game.

Ouch. That could cost them the national championship, and could cause Dunlap to slide a lot - to where the Pats pick, or into the 2nd round, since there are also legitimate consistency and motivation efforts.

Dunlap is listed at 290#, but he doesn't look it and certainly doesn't play like a 3-4 DE. He does have amazing mobility for a guy his size. Anyone think he could play 4-3 DE/elephant for us?

What's not to say the Pats draft Cody and work out of the 3-4 with Wilfork at DE like he has been a bit this year and Warren as the other DE, should be plenty of run stopping in the line alone, as well as significant push and 2 players who warrant a double team every down.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back