Welcome to PatsFans.com

McCain's Miserable Record of not supporting America's Troops and Veteran's

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 12, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

My bro in law is a a desert storm vet and active in vet's group...a group he is involved with sent him this very interesting, and long, email.. about how this group will not support the Maverick..

VetVoice:: McCain's Miserable Record of Not Supporting America's Troops and Veterans

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

this story and others I have read gave me a dim view of John McCain. I have stated in this forum more than a few times on I don't understand how and why he doesn't support more help for veterans. I know he likes to save money ... but I don't believe short changing our veterans is where money should be saved ... we need to spend more.

Good post IMO ... John McCain needs to be asked why he doesn't do more and why he has voted no more than a few times.
  3. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Certainly a valid question. I hope he gets asked about it. Most likely it's the pork that gets stuffed in with the worthwhile that causes them to vote against these things. With out knowing EVERYTHING that was in the proposed bills it's hard to say. At least we DO KNOW he won't gut our military ala-Carter
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +603 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

This group gave Kerry, Hagel and Webb all F's.... guess they do not like Senators.. but then again who does.
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

McCain answered this clearly in the last debate: he votes against bills that are filled with all kinds of unrelated pork pie, the kind of stuff Democrats always do when they want to force through their political pay-backs to partisan supporters. The Dems load pork into every single bill they can. Standard shameful practice of the Democrat party. Their bread and butter. And it is killing democracy. Destroying it.

//
  7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

There's no "Democrat" Party. The name of the organization is the Democratic Party. Learn it, live it, love it. It'll be a big part of your life for the next 4-8 years. Well, maybe not directly, since you aren't a resident of the United States.

Now then, search what passes for your memory in regard to the Paulson bailout drama.

Step 1: Most leadership is in favor of the "bill nobody likes."
    Step 2: McCain shows up to "save the day"
    Step 3: House republicans are emboldened to vote against it.
    Step 4: The Senate passes a version with "sweeteners" (i.e., pork.)

4a: Think for a minute. Who was going to vote against it? House Republicans. Who are we therefore sweetening it for? You got it. Now, to make House Dems not bolt, we add more sweeteners so the Republican sweeteners aren't just a reward for grandstanding.

Step 5: Add 110 billion dollars to original bill.

Now then: what was IN the final package? It contained a lot of provisions that would be voted on later, wrangled over later, etc., but probably with a similar result. It also contained pure and simple "pork", as we call things earmarked for the OTHER GUY's district. (Although our own district's "pork" is a "needed public works project.")

Prior to the bailout, "pork" in the form of earmarks came to about 17 billion bucks a year. We definitely should stop that, unless of course "pork" is really a functionally necessary part of congress. After all, if you want a study of moose in Alaska, and I want a study of bees in New Hampshire, and everybody else wants a study of something else, well clearly they all create jobs and they all lead to something SOMEBODY wants a piece of... so I am not even convinced of the evil of "pork."

But let's say it IS evil... how much "evil" are we harping about? Prior to the little House GOP stunt, a year accounted for $17 billion bucks, or on the order of 1/20th of the annual INTEREST payments on our national debt.

This idea that "getting rid of pork", if it is achievable and desireable, is going to provide a cash cow to take care of all our problems, is just mathmatically unjustifiable. It's another gimmick campaign in a campaign of gimmickry.

PFnV
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

and once again fog does not read the post and just offers a knee jerk reaction.. At least the other posters took the time and read i... But our favorite expatriot, man of the cloth doesn"t need to have to just respond with response #4.5...
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +603 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Find a perfect bill ... 1 perfect bill Fog and I might agree. Sometimes the benefits outweigh everything else. People who put their life on the line, have their life changed permanantly should not be trivialized. the bill in question ... McCain had a problem with people not re-enlisting ... so what ... they did their time ... balance those who don't re-enlist with more benefits to get some others to change their mind.