Welcome to PatsFans.com

McCain's chances for the nomination

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,159 / 5 / -19

#61 Jersey

I'm curious what folks here think about John McCain's chances for the Republican nomination in '08. I liked the guy but his campaign seems to have fallen into an abyss. Can he resurrect himself in time?

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

He's got no shot. His open support of Amnesty was the final nail in the coufin.

3. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

McCain's time has passed unfortunately. I met him just last week at the airport in Manchester, NH, and he couldn't have been more genuine and honest. I don't necessarily agree with him on everything, but he's a good man (and a hero frankly) who has been met with undue amounts of disrespect, a lot of it coming from right-wing folks.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Oh, I believe he is a very admirable man, and hero. He gets trashed by the hard core right for being to moderate. I don't agree with him on a lot of issues, and quite honestly feel he is a little to happy with making a deal for the sake of compromise, and is therefore too willing to sacrafice principle. I'm all about finding common ground, but you don't make a deal for the sake of making one. You have to agree because doing so at least makes sense. His stance on Amnesty make him unelectable in my eyes. He was too willing to coddle, and not willing enough to make take a more sensible, and difficult stance. IMO anyway.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

McCain underestimated the American People when it came to the invasion of millions of Illegal Alien Criminals into their country, McCain couldn't get elected "dog catcher" down in Butcher Holler now.

He is a good man and he is a fine war hero (not like that f-cking Kerry), McCain was being beaten daily by those little dog eating bastards while the WHORE Jane Fonda was not a hundred feet away sitting and grinning with the Viet Cong Scum.

McCain has paid his dues he should retire and he should know that the people respect him and thank him for going to war for his country.
    :bricks:

6. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Perhaps sometimes he was a little to eager, yes. I see what you're saying. I didn't agree with him on some of his deals like you. But I like bipartisanship in general. I think that people tend to demonize the other side of the political aisle too much. I just have a soft spot for McCain because he's war hero, he's honest, and he's moderate. I love all three of those things. But his time has passed. C'est la vie.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

I love those qualities too. I was a big fan of his in 2000. Me & my bro were hoping he got the nod. I like bipartisanship and moderation, cuz it tends to mean people are reasonable, and will find common ground. My issue is making an agreement just for agreements sake. The Amnesty bit is a very good example of that. This country tried that exact path in 1987, and the result has been an invasion of monumental porportions over 20 years. For pols to look to "make a deal" after such an utter catastrphy of a policy is madness. Everyone who's here prior to Jan 1 2007 gets to stay? That's borderline criminal. When people are simply looking to shake hands for the sake of appeasement, that's a problem. He seems like he'd be too willing to do that. Again, just my opinion of him politically.