Welcome to PatsFans.com

McCain takes credit for the bailout

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +596 / 24 / -19

McCain is a reflection of Republican hysteria. Fire Cox! Suspend the campaign! Postpone the debates! He gets Bush to call a meeting at which Obama speaks for the Democrats and McCain says almost nothing. He claims to be involved, takes credit for the bailout, yet his own party ignores him and causes the bailout to fail. I never use the word, but McCain is truly a class a a$$clown. He can't even lead his own party. What an utter lack of judgment the man has.

McCain takes credit for bill before it loses - Politico.com Print View

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and his top aides took credit for building a winning bailout coalition – hours before the vote failed and stocks tanked.

The rush to claim he had engineered a victory now looks like a strategic blunder that will prolong the McCain’s campaign’s difficulty in finding a winning message on the economy.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

So did pelosi last night

3. Patters

Ratings:
    +596 / 24 / -19

Have no objection with faulting her, but she did at least get the Democrats largely behind the bailout.

4. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I don't like those high horse politicians that try to call out their opposition

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +596 / 24 / -19

6. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The bailout failed for one reason only. The majority of Americans are against it and they let their Representatives know it. I am dumbfounded how the leaders of both parties can come forward and claim that this is a good piece of legislation for our nation. This bailout is a terrible idea. It's destined to fail. I am tired of Wall Streets wining every time they don't get their way. They are the ones that made bad investments, not the American tax payer. I applaud the 133 Republicans and 95 Democrats that came together and defeated this bill in a bi-partisan way. Wall Street created this problem, let wall Street fix it.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Pelosi's speech was disgusting. Not to say it should have changed Republican votes but she is a vile, despicable woman.

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +596 / 24 / -19

I didn't see the speech, but the article says she made only one sentence that could be construed as partisan. If you want to post evidence to show that her speech was far more partisan, by all means do so. At any rate, as Barney Frank pointed out, Republicans who voted against the bailout because they were insulted were 100% in the wrong.

9. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

10. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

This is crazy ! Like i said before , mccain can sell his mom , if that helps him win this election.

Why ? For telling the truth ..that s why ? what have we accomplished last 8 years ?

Nothing ....Nada ! Rien ! oualou .....
    Thanks to bush and his failed policies.

11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I didn't hear the whole thing but the part I heard was at least several sentences; if it was one sentence it was a heck of a run on sentence.

12. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That speech plus her comments prior to, on how the Republicans were "unpatriotic" and had "in essence boycotted", show how divisive she is to the whole political process. She is one very scary person and is a black eye to the democratic party. How she was voted in as speaker I'll never understand.

How Barney Frank is in any way shape or form part of the solution just boggles my mind. The old saying of putting the fox in charge of the hen house comes to mind!:confused:

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +596 / 24 / -19

Nonetheless, Barney Frank's point about Republicans opposing the bailout because Nancy Pelosi hurt their feelings is right on: They put their feelings above the interests of the United States.

And as far as your complaint about Barney Frank, what exactly are you talking about?

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

Does this apply to the 95 democrats that also voted "nay"?
    If 12 of those voted "yeah" ... the bill passes and the gop has egg on their face. there's more to this that will come out later ... the excuse of blaming Pelosi is just a distraction comment to deflect the public.

15. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

the bailout is not the right answer.

how about the economic profiteers of credit default swaps(derivatives)? maybe they should save their own sytem.

it makes you wonder if they purposely committed fraud

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +596 / 24 / -19

I don't think the bailout is the right answer, either, but I wasn't strongly opposed to it. And, yes, I think there was massive corporate fraud aimed at engineering the bailout, and I hope it's investigated. Chances are that will come more from the left than the right, but I do give the right props for voting down the bailout.

17. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

God help us all.

Wasn't this the downfall of Rome?

18. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

I watched the speech and IF Cantor was offended by that then he was looking for a way out. And fvck this I'm offended B.S. Your there for the good of the country,and right now its in trouble so which comes first your ego or the country....... DUH.

What Pelosi said( and I'm no fan of Pelosi )wasn't even about the bailout.

19. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Barney Frank is directly responsible for pushing for the sub prime mortgages, and he opposed Bush and the congressional Republicans in 2003 when they called for reform/regulations on Frannie M and Freddie M.
    The man should be under investigation, not part of bailing out his mismanagement! Maybe he should have looked to 12 members of his own finance committee, who voted against the bill, for support of the bailout.:rolleyes:

20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

It was Phil Grahm and the republicans that got rid of oversight in 1999.

The Subprime Mess and Phil Gramm: An Experiment in Deregulation | InjuryBoard Los Angeles

Subprime Mess and Phil Gramm: An Experiment in DeregulationJune 24, 2008 - 04:12 PM
    Category: MiscellaneousTags:
    Senator Phil Gramm, John McCain, George Bush, Senate, Congress, subprime, mortgage mess, deregulation, Enron, Secretary Paulson, UBS.

In 1933, a few years following the stock market crash, Congress passes the Glass-Steagall Act, in hopes that regulating banks will help prevent market instability, particularly amongst Wall Street banks. The purpose of the act is to separate commercial banks that focus on consumers from investment banks, which deal with speculative trading and mergers. ....con.