Welcome to PatsFans.com

McCain Reveals Confusion over Petraeus Role.. Army Times

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Apr 15, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

A very obvious dig by the mouthpiece for the army, particularly at the end which seems to indicate that his leaving hearing was not a good thing. In fact by doing so he missed a lot of the testimony that may have been important.. always thought that McCain was the Darling of the Armed Forces...

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/04/military_mccain_petraeus_041408w/

Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain of Arizona may not have been paying the closest of attention last week during hearings on the Bush administration’s Iraq policy.

Speaking Monday at the annual meeting of the Associated Press, McCain was asked whether he, if elected, would shift combat troops from Iraq to Afghanistan to intensify the search for al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

“I would not do that unless Gen. [David] Petraeus said that he felt that the situation called for that,” McCain said, referring to the top U.S. commander in Iraq.

Petraeus, however, made clear last week that he has nothing to do with the decision. Testifying last week before four congressional committees, including the Senate Armed Services Committee on which McCain is the ranking Republican, Petraeus said the decision about whether troops could be shifted from Iraq to Afghanistan was not his responsibility because his portfolio is limited to the multi-national force in Iraq.

Decisions about Afghanistan would be made by others, he said.

“I’ve been sort of focused on another task,” Petraeus said when pressed about whether more troops should be diverted to Afghanistan rather than Iraq.

McCain did not stay for the full Petraeus appearance before the armed services committee, so he might have missed that explanation.

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So...if the commander on the ground in Iraq felt that it was safe to draw off some forces from Iraq, then he would, but he'd listen to the generals before making decisions like that.

Not seeing what you think is a problem here.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Picked it up from the Army Times, they framed the issue.. all I did was post it.. apparently if you read between the lines they were upset as he left the hearing early and was not as informed as he should have been.. no more no less.. I always find it humorous that the enclaves of the right report on the shortcomings of the right in such a vehement manner .. I would never have expected this article from the Army Times..