Welcome to PatsFans.com

McCain pulling out of Michigan?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

2. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I saw this yesterday, and what is even more amazing, is he is going to put more resources in Maine (4 delegates) where the current R senator is doing well in her re-election bid. He hopes to come away with one or two of Maine's delegates.

3. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He should pull out and focus all his efforts on Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, and Missouri. He doesn't need to pick up Michigan to win the White house, he needs to keep the states Bush won in 2004. Florida needs to be priority 1 for him right now, he's down there, and if Obama takes Florida its game over.

4. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Ha....

we saw what happened when he pulled out of the campaign before to work on the bailout...

5. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah that worked out pretty well, huh?:D

Strategically though this is a good call, he put enough pressure on Obama in Mich/Wisc/Minn to make him spend some money there, now its time to pull back and focus on winning the states he needs. And if he spends $1 in Maine it is a BIG mistake, again its another state he doesn't need, unlike Florida, Ohio, Nevada, Virginia, North Carolina, etc.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Quitter, betcha Joe Six Pack would not like this one , eh??

7. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Imagine if he used his campaign strategy in the war on terror?

Pull out of a loser (Iraq) to fight the real fight in the war (Afghanistan)

This guy is a constant contradiction. "Id rather lose an election than lose a war"

KEEP IT UP, Johnny boy! Because without the election, you are not going to be the Commander in Chief.

Silly.....just plain silly....

His logic is out of this universe!

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Who is michigan???.. nothing like a little electus interruptus...

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Michigan hasn't gone red since Reagan, or about 20 years. I don't think it was ever in play, once Romney wasn't picked as VP. Heck, even with Romney, it's a blue state. I'm not at all surprised he's removing resources from there.

Stokes, I disagree about Maine. If he could steal one delegate from there, it could potentially win him the election. Why? Cuz there is a scenario where which the two candidates end up tied at 269 EC votes apiece. That scenario has Maine going for Obama. Now, minus one from Obama's 4 Maine delegates, and well...

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

If you are being serious about criticizing a politician pulling out of a state, then you have no clue about how a campaign works. If you're simply being fun with it, then my bad. :cool:

11. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

As ususal....my post needs to be taken with a grain...

however...pulling out of a state with 17 electoral votes is......odd....

I'm not sure McCains people know how a camaign works. So....if I am getting you right....

In a political campaign.....when you sense defeat, you cut and run.
    In a war on terror...when you sense defeat, you surge.
    In an economic crisis, you suspend the campaign.....

??????

why doesn't he fight as hard for himself as he did for his policy of a surge (although it was 4 years into the war)?????

maybe I don't get is 'quit sometimes' attitude....

either way...he is never getting my vote.....so I could really care less what the flunk he does.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +266 / 10 / -11

McCain's in serious trouble. But, forgive me for using your thread to post this pro-Obama photo that I like:

[​IMG]

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

With all due respect, comparing a campaign in a state, to a war, is truly retarded. Do you think Obama has 100% commitment in all 57 states? Of course not. As it gets closer to closing time, he'll pull out of states too. Niether candidate is going to win every state, so they strategically pick their battles. Part of that strategy includes keeping you opponent busy in a state that you personally don't even expect to win. Why would you do that? Cuz it expends resources. The more time & money Obama has to defend himself in a place like Michigan, the less time and money he can spend in Ohio, Florida, Colorado, Virginia, etc. Conversely, the more time Obama keeps McLame busy in Nevada, the less time Mac can spend in the more important states. I know you know this.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

That picture reminds me of a post I tried to make the other day about Leonardo DiCaprio and his "you need to vote or shoot yourself" (paraphrasing) comment from his voter drive. While I truly do understand, and appreciate the efforts of voter drives, I don't think they are a genuine benefit to the overall process. I've done a 180 on this from when I was first getting into voting regularly. Early on I thought everyone should vote, and some people used to get upset with me about it, as they felt only the informed, or those who make the effort to involve themselves, should. I've come around to that line of thinking myself. The more I talk to people, and the older I get, the more retards I meet from all aspects of life. Old, young, repub, dem, poor, rich, whatever... I'd prefer informed people vote, over having more people just showing up, and voting.

15. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

you mean you dont think illegal immigrants should be able to vote? ;)

16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,067 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

McCain does not have all the illegal donations at his disposal that Obama has so he has to spend hi money wisely. Less money in Michigan means more money elsewhere. It makes perfect sense. Also ... if more democrats pulled out sooner ... we would have less abortions in this country.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  17. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

With all due respect....

McCain announcing he is pulling resources out of Michigan, means that OBAMA CAN DO THE SAME. You think Obama is going to start pouring millions into a 17 electoral votes that McCain has handed to him? PLEASE?

With all due respect....

Its certainly comparable to war, for crying out loud, FOOTBALL is comparable to war....CHESS is comparable to war. All involve strategy, and tactics to bring about an eventual win. McCain's philosophy in both seems to be really screwed up. He is running a campaign, not a war. I understand the stakes are higher with a war, but the stakes are pretty darn high in a presidential election as well.

With all due respect....

maybe you are not taking this election as seriously as you should.

18. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Agreed, and if either McCain or Obama are spending more than a dime in already decided states like MA or NY then they're wasting thier money.