Welcome to PatsFans.com

McCain linked to private group in Iran-Contra case

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Oct 7, 2008.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Whats this Mcsleaze tied to nazi groups in South America. Say it ain't so Joe ahh John

McCain linked to private group in Iran-Contra case - Yahoo! News

McCain's ties are facing renewed scrutiny after his campaign criticized Barack Obama for his link to a former radical who engaged in violent acts 40 years ago.

The U.S. Council for World Freedom was part of an international organization linked to former Nazi collaborators and ultra-right-wing death squads in Central America...........
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 11 / -27

He is guilty by association, the standard that is now used to judge all those who run for office... that is probably why I will never run...
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Thats the only reason I put it up there. I wouldn't normally start a thread about something like this,but since the RNC. set the new standard it became Thread Worthy.
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Pete Yost is a good AP reporter... but IMO this should have been the lead, or much higher up...

McCain has said previously he resigned from the council in 1984 and asked in 1986 to have his name removed from the group's letterhead.

"I didn't know whether (the group's activity) was legal or illegal, but I didn't think I wanted to be associated with them," McCain said in a newspaper interview in 1986.

Singlaub does not recall any McCain resignation in 1984 or May 1986. Nor does Joyce Downey, who oversaw the group's day-to-day activities.

"That's a surprise to me," Singlaub said. "This is the first time I've ever heard that. There may have been someone in his office communicating with our office."

"I don't ever remember hearing about his resigning, but I really wasn't worried about that part of our activities, a housekeeping thing," said Singlaub. "If he didn't want to be on the board that's OK. It wasn't as if he had been active participant and we were going to miss his help. He had no active interest. He certainly supported us."​