Welcome to PatsFans.com

McCain at the New School graduation..showing his true colors...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pats726, May 24, 2006.

1. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/10/n...d934cb02b&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

This all has to do with Senator McCain's commencement address at the New School in NYC. While I have had much respect for him even though I do not agree with him. He has had much character in the past, much above the normal knee jerk right wing politician. He's one who writes about character and those that take stands; something of a brigter light, above a lot of political dirt that fills the airways and someone of integrity. That is why, when I learned about this, I was both shocked and a bit taken aback by it all.

The above link is part of the story..but McCain's speech I have not found. What happened was this. The student who was talking before him changed her speech to basically call attention to McCain and what he stands for.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jean-rohe/why-i-spoke-up_b_21358.html
    That is a copy from the Huffington blog as to why she said that and what she said. The big thing in this is how McCain's top aide responded on the blog
    in a very demeaning nasty tone. And that is the link to it below...as well as her response to that. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/05/21/top-mccain-aide-insults-e_n_21405.html and her response....
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jean-rohe/response-to-mccains-aide_b_21442.html
    To send out your aide to attack like that is truly something I thought was out of character and frankly, it shows me, McCain is nothing special at all. A
    Presidential candidate?? Maybe..but integrity?? I don't think so...more embarrassing.

2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am certainly no big McCain supporter but I think the blog/response made by his aide is 100% right on. Some self righteous liberal who has spent her entire life in an ivory tower thinks they should build a statue in her honor because she had the "courage" to say some controversial things in front of an overwhelmingly sympathetic crowd...? Gimme a break.

If there were more people like her 70 years ago, we'd all be speaking German and/or Japanese right about now...

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +707 / 20 / -30

This editorial was in the Projo today, comparing his foray into the New School to the one at Liberty U., interesting take...

http://www.projo.com/opinion/columnists/content/projo_20060524_24harr.174413d5.html

Getting booed at an ultra-liberal university in New York is hardly a career killer for a Republican with presidential ambitions. But planning to get booed is something else, especially for a politician who based his power on a broad appeal.

McCain adviser John Weaver conceded that the heckling at the New School was "not unexpected," and he had his jab line at the ready: "It's not uncommon on a liberal campus that free speech is a theory in the classroom only."

In fact, the senator was not denied his speech. And while the kids at the New School could have been more polite, they were also clearly being used. They knew that McCain had crafted their commencement as a political companion piece to another, the week before, at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University. As one student shouted out, "We're graduating, not voting."

McCain had received a rousing welcome at Liberty U., in Lynchburg, Va., no doubt according to plans. Adviser Weaver denied that there was any strategy behind that event, insisting that McCain was there only to "address the students and parents on this important day in their lives."

McCain is making a serious miscalculation. He is fighting the last culture war and losing what made him special. Recall how in 2000 he charged out of the starting gate with a New Hampshire primary victory -- only to run into the South Carolina wall, erected by then-Texas Governor Bush's religious-right allies. They smeared McCain with a variety of rumors, including one that he had fathered illegitimate children.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +977 / 2 / -9

A lot of people don't trust McCain, he has turned into a bit of a whacko ever since the people told him they didn't want him as their President.
    He has a "hair trigger temper" that he is well known for in Washington, he has become a hard man to figure out. Many liberals like him because it is a known fact he is a "Flaming Bush Hater" (Jealousy)

He should retire and enjoy the roses, he will never live in the White House.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2005
  5. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm a big fan of McCain, but I completely agree with this assessment. He seems a little lost with his "strategy" at the moment.

6. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I love how these students cant stand to hear opposing views anymore.

Disagree with his views/policies all you want but the man deserves respect and at least deserves to be heard.

The students were very disrespectful IMO. (I'd say the same thing if it were a conservative audience booing and hooting at a Clinton speech)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2005
  7. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I don't know about that, Turd.

Those kids' parents paid over $100,000 for their education.

Their graduation is suppossed to be a special time to celebrate a very special occasion in their lives.

It was not the occasion to listen to some inane political stump speech.

I am very disappointed that University President Bob Kerry invited McCain inspite of strenuous objections from faculty and students.

I am angry that Kerry decided to politicize the event.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Kerry's a politician - politicizing things is what he does. I swear these politicians have a genetic commonality that enables their brains to produce endorphine rushes whenever they are involved in a controversy in public. Most normal people have a natural aversion to situations like this.

9. milwaukeebeers44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As a public servant, I take offense to this. Being in the military is not the only way to serve your country.

Being a Congressional aide is no walk in the park. These are highly educated people (lawyers, PhDs, etc) working for absolute peanuts (chiefs of staff with 10-15 years of legislative experience make around $60K) and sacrificing their lives for their jobs. They are there because they are working for what they believe in, so how can you expect them to NOT be fiercely loyal??

While I don't agree with what Salter said, you have to admit that the girl was just as disrespectful to the Senator as Salter was to her.

10. milwaukeebeers44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

University commencement speeches have been politicized for years. Thing is, at least this school decided to be unique and choose someone not necessarily in line with the ideology of its students.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +977 / 2 / -9

I agree with you Mike, many of those kids have parents that worked very hard to see that they got a good start in life. Graduation is a very special day for the kids and their family.

We see enough of these Slimey Skunk Politicians in our daily life, we can't avoid them, their rotten grinning faces are everywhere, Graduation should be for the students and their families. I for one am glad they gave him some
    sh1t, they should have thrown eggs at him or an "Ann Coulter Pie"

Yes that goes for Bush also.

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't take anything NEM says too seriously... the only thing he hates more than people who serve in the military are people who don't serve in the military but still have the audacity to vote Republican.

13. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Fristly you obviously have little understanding of her background whatsoever. Maybe you can't read OR understand, but she is far from anyone who lives in an "ivory tower". Maybe you are closer to that yourself?? If you do not think she has courage for CHANGING her speech and speaking to the issue at hand..,McCain's presence and speech. I think it would have been easy for her to stick with her prepared speech and NOT address what was on her minds and those present.
    She didn't and quickly put together a short one addressing that. What I could NOT find online to link to was McCain's speech...why is that important?? Because in it he talked about the need to talk, express opinions and to talk and to NOT attack and name call. THAT is what she did..express an opinion and a strong one and I think it took much coourage to do that...the kind of courage that McCain has written about. The problem I have is that his mouth piece did exactly what McCain said SHOULD NOT be done. McCain is gutless and filled with hypocrisy. Firstly, if he sent out the aide to do his dirty work, he is a spineless phony. If that is they way McCain truly feels, have the guts to say it!! If in fact, McCain truly believes the words he said at the graduation, he should one, either fire the aide or have the aide apologize.
    If he doesn't, then he is a total phony. For someone like McCain to write about character and such and not handle this situation correctly, shows how little he really has. Your comment about 70 years ago is so far off the mark...it's people like you who have NO USA and under Bristish rule.