Welcome to PatsFans.com

McArthur Park Police Reaction.. are we intolerant to protest..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 3, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Sure the righties will all feel that the reaction of the police in McArthur park was justified.. but it was all caught on tape, the assault of the Telemundo journalist is telling. Talk about deep poop, this will cost the California Taxpayers millions of dollars in settlements. Haven't seen footage like this since the Democratic Convention in Chicago in the late 60's. Talk about another damaging hit for our international stature, there is stuff all over youtube about this overreaction. Too bad the f....ed up another anthem of the 60's, McArthur Park will never sound the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFdNkXJMH9A

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-media3may03,0,6704192.story?coll=la-home-headlines

One day after several reporters and camera operators were injured while covering an altercation at an immigrant rights rally in MacArthur Park, news organizations condemned the Los Angeles Police Department for its use of batons and riot guns against members of the media, and some said they were considering legal options.

"We are sorry for what happened to our employees and find it unacceptable that they would be abused in that way when they were doing their job," said Alfredo Richard, spokesman for the Spanish-language network Telemundo, of the anchor and the reporter who were hurt during the evening rally.

Other members of the media who were injured included four employees of KVEA-TV Channel 52, a KTTV-TV Channel 11 news reporter who suffered a minor shoulder injury, a camerawoman who has a broken wrist and a reporter for KPCC-FM (89.3) who was bruised by a police baton.

"I was dumbfounded," said the KPCC reporter, Patricia Nazario. "I've covered riots. I've covered chaos. I was never hit or struck or humiliated the way the LAPD violated me yesterday."

Nazario said she was walking away from riot police when she was hit in the back.

Wearing a press pass and holding a microphone, she turned around and told the officer, "Why did you hit me? I'm moving. I'm a reporter," Nazario recalled.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Gimme a break. As if this incident is any different than any other police break up of a rally/demonstration any where else in the country. Wow, someone got pushed when the police told them to beat it and they gave the cops lip. Oh no! This crap, and don't get me wrong, it's crap, happens everytime the cops move to break up a gathering of sorts. The rubber bullet crap is no different than what happened here in Boston in 2004 when a young woman died from being hit in the head. It's sad, but it's not Kent St. The overdramatization of this incident by the people who want Amnesty is comical. If I had a $1 for evertime the cops gave me a hard time when there was no reason to I'd have enough cash to buy a nice bottle of booze. Seriously, did the police overreact? When don't they. To call this some catastrophe that is going to "damage our international stature" is somewhat ridiculous.
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Before people want to strangle me, let me stresss, it is crap (meaning unnecessary BS). However, it's not some Kent St.
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

No it is not Kent State, but looks like Chicago during the convention. The grabbing of camera's and hitting the Telemundo Newsbroadcaster is not a good thing. There are ways of breaking up demonstrations, aside from just resorting to violence.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It seems that the cops were baiting protesters, and protesters were baiting cops. The cops have to stay above it or they're no different from criminals themselves. Striking a cameraman who didn't disobey police orders isn't crap, it's a crime. It's not Kent, but had one of those rubber bullets killed someone (as they sometimes do), it would have been even uglier.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

You heard the lady at the beginning say a group of ralliers was antagonizing the police. Once that happens, you give every tough guy with a badge the right to move to disperse. If they feel threatened, they'll use that as a reason. They did. Did they have to? I wasn't there, and I couldn't tell you. Do I think it's possible that they overreacted? Absolutely, it's the LAPD we're talking about here. However, do I think that, again, think, that a hispanic reporter, cameraman, station, etc...might in some way make it seem as if the cops were 100% wrong and evil? Yes, I do. The bottom line here is that this is no different than any other rally, or demostration that takes place in this country. 2003 (or was it '04?) Redsox people. Does it make it right? Of course not. Calling it the worse thing since the 60's and damaging to our international image is a huge, huge stretch.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

You and I think that way, but they don't, and are probably taught to be that way. Have you ever seen the break up of anything similar where the cops didn't push, nudge, or use some violence to disperse the crowd? I see that and I see nothing different than I've seen before. Of course, the pro-Amnesty people will try to use it as some sign of the racist ideology used against illegal immigrants, or they'll start saying something like "this is what we mean by illegal rights" crap. I'm waiting for the 11 year old to come in here and start tossing out charges of racism.
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

I did not say this, what I said was:

"Haven't seen footage like this since the Democratic Convention in Chicago in the late 60's. Talk about another damaging hit for our international stature, there is stuff all over youtube about this overreaction. Too bad the f....ed up another anthem of the 60's, McArthur Park will never sound the same."

This does not say the worse thing since the 60's, what it says is the worse footage I have seen of a police reacting to demonstrators since that time. The damaging hit has to do with this hitting many foreign papers, and the availability of this on the internet. It cannot be a positive thing for our international image.. so it has to be damaging. Beating up women, newscasters and cameramen is not a good thing.
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Hey, when I think of a nice bottle of booze, I think about $25. Now, I know I'm older than you, but if I had a buck for every time a cop gave me a hard time, I doubt if I'd be able to buy a six pack of Bud. Wonder what you're doing wrong? :D
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

$25 these days won't even buy an average bottle of booze (if you're talking the standard 750ml bottle). $50 at least for a decent 12 year scotch, more like $70-$80 for a nice one, though.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

You must not watch alot of news footage then. I see far worse than this everytime a city's team, or college wins something. This is going to get play, and slant, because of the people involved, and the bias of the MSM in favor of their cause.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Oh, you won't get me to defend cops mind you. In this case, they didn't do anything they haven't done in similar situations. Did they overreact? No more so than in any other similar situation. If you are appalled by what went on here, then you should be appalled by all other similar situations. Of course, this will, as it already has, get much more play and slant than anywhere else. You can do the math on why.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

You didn't grow up in Chelsea I guess.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

True, if Scotch is what you're drinking. I don't mind scotch, but cognac is much, much better. $70-$80 will buy you some average cognac. Remy Martin XO, which is some real smooth cognac, is somewhere in the $120-140 range ($100 at the Duty-free in Logan). However, when I'm galavanting with the gents, I'm a Stoli Rasberry guy. Like 10-12 a night :D (I love vodka drinks), and a 750 costs about $17-18, which is why I go with a 1.75 for $30.
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

Those protesters are lucky they are in America, the third world sh!t holes use Water Cannons, Dogs and Machine Guns.

WHAAAAAAAA, MOMMY MOMMY THAT BAD OLD COP PUSHED ME
  17. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's right, Serbia should be our role model!
  18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Or maybe I'm just very good. :)
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Attaboy! ;)