SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
mcallister: hard to play patriots and the refs at the same time

Let him think whatever he wants.
The camera shows otherwise.

and more

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

BALTIMORE -- Plenty to digest here from M&T Bank Stadium, from both sides. Here are some of the highlights:

# The Ravens were raving mad at the officials.

Linebacker Terrell Suggs indicated that the referees made calls in favor of the Patriots at the end of the game.

"It's kind of the feeling of the 2001 tuck rule. That is the NFL for you, man. When they got a guy like that that is selling a lot of tickets, you want to keep him selling tickets."

Added receiver Derrick Mason: "It's kind of like that old Bulls team when they were running the table. You were playing against Jordan, Pippen and the bunch and it was hard to beat them because everyone was on their side. That's the way it is now. You've got Brady and the bunch. It's hard to beat them when you're playing against them and extra people."

# Patriots WR Randy Moss felt the officials were letting things go all game.

“I mean, hell, they were holding for three quarters. Now, they want to throw the flags in the fourth quarter? So, it was a good thing to see that they called the game right,” Moss said.

Moss also touched on the Ravens' approach to the game.

"“It was a tough game. Baltimore came out with a game plan that they were going to try to be physical and do a lot of talking with their mouths. Coach Belichick doesn't coach us or raise us that way, so for us to shut them up with a last-second touchdown that's really what felt good. There was just so much trash talking, man, from guys who really hadn’t done anything in the league. So basically, me being a 10-year vet and seeing those other guys out there talking smack, they haven’t done anything yet. So it was a good thing for the offense that Jabar Gaffney came up with a key catch, luckily for six, and we shut them up. I’m not a trash talker. I talk with my play, not my mouth.”

How about he sit down and watch the whole game from the start and then watch how the rest of the defense imploded with the help of Rex Ryan's inexcusable TO?

It would be one thing if replay didn't show how blatant the calls were. I'm sure when they break down the film tomorrow the Ravens will probably cool off on their statements.

They can't possibly be complaining about the hold in the end zone? A play of that magnitude and scrutiny, you have to make the call. A non-call is even worse.

Some never *****ing about officials when Asante was tackled on the hail mary.

There wasn't one penalty that idiot Ravens team didn't earn.

mcallister: hard to play patriots and the refs at the same time

At least he didn't call himself a classy individual.

They could have called pass interference on whoever mugged Asante on the last play of the game.
Again, for the record:
the hold on Watson = legit.
the timeout from Ravens coaches = legit
the false start on Hochstein = legit

Just what, exactly, are they complaining about? That the refs starting calling the stuff they'd let go for most of three quarters? Yeesh.

When McAlister see's the tape of the game he'll realize it was a good call. Players in the heat of battle in a game they know they could have won, say many things.

And btw, I've said this before about Billick & the Ravens: their *****ing about officiating post-game all the time ends up becoming a self-perpetuating problem for them.

When you constantly openly criticize the refs in the media, consciously or not, refs are going to be less inclined to have borderline calls go your way in the future.

There was a classic example of a catch Billick challenged a few weeks ago. Text book example of a call that could go either way and you'd not be surprised.

Of course it goes against Billick.

The Jab TD was another example. Don't think anyone would be surprised had they ruled no TD.

But guess what Smoochy? You want to talk **** and whine about refs after any game you lose with a suspect call, the refs aren't gonna cut you any breaks.

Learn to play the game, jerkoff.

After being held, I thought Watson was hit before the ball so I was looking for an interference call and the ball at the one.

I can accept complaints about the Gaffney catch. What other calls?

BTW, how did Baltimore lose so many did games? Did the refs crown the other teams too?

I guess they now how we feel when we play the colts.

I didnt see the game due to being at work, however I've got it tivo'd at home :D

I personally felt the Colts game was called horribly. Incredibly horribly. So badly that for the first time in my fan life, I started to wonder whether the refs get a little "you know, if it's a borderline call, it wouldn't hurt if it went this way" briefing at the outset of the big ones.

I'm pretty sure now after about a month of cooling off, that it was just a LOT of bad calls, by an inexperienced crew. Probably.

But during the time just after the game, one thing I noticed was that the Pats weren't in front of microphones *****ing and whining... the other thing I noticed was that the Pats DID beat Indy AND the refs.

I don't think there were really any bad calls in the Ravens game. Especially when you look at the recent tendency to mug our receivers (where is the "point of emphasis" on about half our pass plays this year?) It's gotten to where I'm just happy they don't call offensive pass interference when our guy catches a ball, just for the sin of catching it. What happened to the famous Polian "point of emphasis" anyway? And you want to ***** about the fact that they DID call it for one quarter?

Well, anyway, we're all subjective. Maybe this game looks to the Ravens like the Colts game looked to me.

But Billick's gone in front of the cameras to whine about the officiating in the past, and now his players are following suit. Uh, okay, right. But isn't it just plain giving up, with 47 seconds left, to commit 30 yards worth of personal fouls? Yet what do I hear from Bart Scott, after the game...? Not "My God, I can't believe I did that, and really screwed our last hope." No, I heard "It's hard to beat the refs and the Patriots."

I kind of like the Ravens, in general. Geographic proximity, and the fact that they're named after a poem, I guess. But dudes, you lost a close game. Like the Eagles, you played your butts off and should be commended for the game you played. But for the chit chat afterwards? No way.

PFnV

I personally felt the Colts game was called horribly. Incredibly horribly. So badly that for the first time in my fan life, I started to wonder whether the refs get a little "you know, if it's a borderline call, it wouldn't hurt if it went this way" briefing at the outset of the big ones.

I'm pretty sure now after about a month of cooling off, that it was just a LOT of bad calls, by an inexperienced crew. Probably.

But during the time just after the game, one thing I noticed was that the Pats weren't in front of microphones *****ing and whining... the other thing I noticed was that the Pats DID beat Indy AND the refs.

I don't think there were really any bad calls in the Ravens game. Especially when you look at the recent tendency to mug our receivers (where is the "point of emphasis" on about half our pass plays this year?) It's gotten to where I'm just happy they don't call offensive pass interference when our guy catches a ball, just for the sin of catching it. What happened to the famous Polian "point of emphasis" anyway? And you want to ***** about the fact that they DID call it for one quarter?

Well, anyway, we're all subjective. Maybe this game looks to the Ravens like the Colts game looked to me.

But Billick's gone in front of the cameras to whine about the officiating in the past, and now his players are following suit. Uh, okay, right. But isn't it just plain giving up, with 47 seconds left, to commit 30 yards worth of personal fouls? Yet what do I hear from Bart Scott, after the game...? Not "My God, I can't believe I did that, and really screwed our last hope." No, I heard "It's hard to beat the refs and the Patriots."

I kind of like the Ravens, in general. Geographic proximity, and the fact that they're named after a poem, I guess. But dudes, you lost a close game. Like the Eagles, you played your butts off and should be commended for the game you played. But for the chit chat afterwards? No way.

PFnV

I find it ridiculous that the POINT OF EMPHASIS do not apply to Patriots receivers. For a few games now, Pats receivers are being mugged and clubbed live on National TV and the refs seem oblivious to it.:mad:

I find it ridiculous that the POINT OF EMPHASIS do not apply to Patriots receivers. For a few games now, Pats receivers are being mugged and clubbed live on National TV and the refs seem oblivious to it.:mad:

If this is really happening, the Patriots need to complain to the league office. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

How about he sit down and watch the whole game from the start and then watch how the rest of the defense imploded with the help of Rex Ryan's inexcusable TO?

Can someone explain to me why Rex Ryan calling a TO -- before Brady's hands were even under center and because he did not like the formation -- was somehow a gaffe or a mistake or inexcusable, as opposed to just UNLUCKY.

And is it possible that any of the O-linemen heard the whistle?

Can someone explain to me why Rex Ryan calling a TO -- before Brady's hands were even under center and because he did not like the formation -- was somehow a gaffe or a mistake or inexcusable, as opposed to just UNLUCKY.

And is it possible that any of the O-linemen heard the whistle?

In this area, calling one untimely timeout is unlucky. Calling 2 back to back, that's where it's considered bad coaching.

And btw, I've said this before about Billick & the Ravens: their *****ing about officiating post-game all the time ends up becoming a self-perpetuating problem for them.

When you constantly openly criticize the refs in the media, consciously or not, refs are going to be less inclined to have borderline calls go your way in the future.

There was a classic example of a catch Billick challenged a few weeks ago. Text book example of a call that could go either way and you'd not be surprised.

Of course it goes against Billick.

The Jab TD was another example. Don't think anyone would be surprised had they ruled no TD.

But guess what Smoochy? You want to talk **** and whine about refs after any game you lose with a suspect call, the refs aren't gonna cut you any breaks.

Learn to play the game, jerkoff.

Righteous, brother! You made me crack up! You are so on the money...

Why was it inexcusable?
He's not the only coach to call a TO before a 4th & 1 play.

If the pats made the first down and it was taken away cuz of the TO, and on the next play they didn't get it, would it still have been Inexcusable?

Inexcusable - NO
Beautiful - YES:singing:

Last edited:
“I mean, hell, they were holding for three quarters. Now, they want to throw the flags in the fourth quarter? So, it was a good thing to see that they called the game right,” Moss said.

I think that was the frustrating thing for the Ravens. For 3.5 quarters the refs let them do whatever they wanted then suddenly they are making calls that weren't half as bad as some non-calls earlier.

Both teams can make a case that the zebras sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes