Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
According to a mention in this article, Mayo suffered a torn patellar tendon.

http://nesn.com/2015/02/patriots-defensive-free-agent-needs-include-pass-rusher-linebacker/

If accurate, it's the same injury that the Giants' Victor Cruz suffered. This article specifies the nature of the injury, healing time, etc.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/..._how_serious_is_it_what_is_the_treatment.html

SO ... a lot of "ifs" regarding whether Jerod can bounce back effectively for this coming season. But if the likes of Vince Wilfork can heal in less than one year from a torn Achilles, I suppose anything is possible.

I'm hopeful he will be back and better than ever. Mayo is a tough dude and works hard. I'm sure he is determined to come back and help us defend the title

That was the assumption at the time regarding the nature of his injury. I'm not sure what all the secrecy was about.

Good news is that he injured it in October and, judging from the recent videos at the SB and the Pepsi promo in the supermarket, he's getting around just fine.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Cruz suffer a full patellar tendon rupture which is worse than just the tear of Mayo?

Good news is that he injured it in October and, judging from the recent videos at the SB and the Pepsi promo in the supermarket, he's getting around just fine.
I thought it was impressive that at the superbowl Mayo was leading the LB's in their pre-game huddle. It was an impressive showing of the effect of his leadership qualities. Usually when players go on IR, they also go into witness protection as well. When Brady was injured he made it a point to stay away so he wouldn't be a distraction for Castle. Vince was around some while he was injured, but Mayo continued to be an integral part of the group, and that's different from the norm.

As for his injury, you couldn't help notice Mayo bouncing around with his fellow LB's as they broke the huddle. A patella injury is a tough one, but like most they vary so much from player to player. Look at Vince's experience. Clearly his recovery didn't mirror the effects of many other Achilles tears. As fans we just hear the general name of the problem, we don't get to judge the severity.

On the plus side, it may help the Pats in their contract negotiations with him.

BTW- I hate it when some fans casually dismiss the importance of Jerad Mayo, given the development of Hightower and Collins. They don't realize how important he actually is. With Mayo in the LB mix, it would allow Collins and Hightower to be used much more creatively and unpredictably than they would without him.

According to a mention in this article, Mayo suffered a torn patellar tendon.

http://nesn.com/2015/02/patriots-defensive-free-agent-needs-include-pass-rusher-linebacker/

If accurate, it's the same injury that the Giants' Victor Cruz suffered. This article specifies the nature of the injury, healing time, etc.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/..._how_serious_is_it_what_is_the_treatment.html

SO ... a lot of "ifs" regarding whether Jerod can bounce back effectively for this coming season. But if the likes of Vince Wilfork can heal in less than one year from a torn Achilles, I suppose anything is possible.

Patellar tendon is a nasty injury, much worse than an ACL tear. Here's a study about patellar tendon tears in the NFL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21813442

The long and the short of it is that patellar tendon tears are a lot less common than ACL tears, and are much less likely to result in a 100% recovery. Worth noting that this is the same injury that effectively ended the careers of Cadillac Williams, Ryan Williams, Jim Leonhard, and Clint Sintim.

I remember looking into it back when Mayo was injured, and did find some comps of guys kinda like Mayo who returned to be something close to 100%. But it's certainly not trivial--I'd say it's closer to an Achilles tear than ACL tear, as far as precedent for 100% recovery. Can't count Mayo out, but can't pencil in a full recovery, either. I'm more hopeful than optimistic that Mayo will make it something close to 100% back.

just take the leg off...he has 2 right??

Mayo will be restructured

Its not that easy, Mayo has a 4.5 million dollar injury guarantee in his contract for 2015, so if the Pats were to cut him before he is proclaimed "healed" (by the Team Dr. I'm guessing) they would have to pay him. So basically the cap number of 10 million+ stays at ten million+ until he is deemed "healthy" then it would drop down (according to Miguel) 6 million.

So basically, the Pats have no leverage in which to negotiate with Mayo. Cutting him now, saves zero cap money, and you would still owe him 4.5 million, so it makes no sense to cut him. Once he is healthy, then maybe the Pats can talk to him about a restructured contract, but until that time comes, expect him to remain on the Pats with his current contract and 10+ million dollar cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down