MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/205660

1. 1

JADEVEON CLOWNEY
    DE
    SOUTH CAROLINA

Both Khalil Mack and Clowney fit here, but the upside of Clowney will sway Houston. He's the most talented defensive lineman on the planet, including NFL players. If he wants to be it, he's got a chance.
  2. PICK NO.

GREG ROBINSON
    OT
    AUBURN

The NFC West is the most physical division in football, Robinson is the most physical lineman in the draft. He'll give the Rams that presence they need.
  3. PICK NO.

KHALIL MACK
    OLB
    BUFFALO

Mack is my No. 1-ranked player. Remember where Gus Bradley comes from -- the Super Bowl-winning Seahawks. Mack has got an edge and fits this defense better than anyone in the draft.
  4. PICK NO.

JAKE MATTHEWS
    OT
    TEXAS A&M

There's some talk of taking a QB here, but I think the Browns will go with lineage. They'll take Matthews and put him opposite Joe Thomas, and get their QB at No. 26.
  5. PICK NO.

SAMMY WATKINS
    WR
    CLEMSON

This could be Johnny Manziel, but the Raiders don't have much at WR right now, and Watkins is the most explosive WR in the draft. He's got to be there to help Matt Schaub.
  6. PICK NO.

TAYLOR LEWAN
    OT
    MICHIGAN

The Falcons need edge rushers, but the two best are off the board. Lewan is the most athletically gifted tackle in the draft, a plug-and-play tackle who'll play 8-10 years. He'll immediately make Matt Ryan a better QB.
  7. PICK NO.

MIKE EVANS
    WR
    TEXAS A&M

Manziel and Bortles are possibilities, but the best playmaker on the board is Evans. With his height, vertical ability and great catch radius, he's too good a positional player to pass on.
  8. PICK NO.

JUSTIN GILBERT
    CB
    OKLAHOMA ST.

Mike Zimmer loves his corners, and the No. 1 corner is Gilbert. The Vikings were No. 32 in points allowed last year. Gilbert immediately steps in and helps their defensive backfield.
  9. PICK NO.

ZACK MARTIN
    OT
    NOTRE DAME

Eric Ebron is possible, but I would take Martin. You can play him at tackle or guard, even center, and he'll do it at a high level. He will help make E.J. Manuel a better quarterback.
  10. PICK NO.

DARQUEZE DENNARD
    CB
    MICHIGAN ST.

With Gilbert off the board, the Lions fill an area of need with Dennard. He's a plug-and-play corner who is best in press coverage.
  11. PICK NO.

BLAKE BORTLES
    QB
    CENTRAL FLORIDA

The Titans want a corner, but I think Bortles is Ken Whisenhunt's guy. He'll need that redshirt year, but the Titans could let Jake Locker play, then come back the next year and have their quarterback of the future.
  12. PICK NO.

ERIC EBRON
    TE
    NORTH CAROLINA

Eli needs a buddy. The Giants were No. 28 in points scored, and Ebron is the most gifted tight end I've seen in a while as a vertical threat. If he's willing to work at blocking, he's a Pro Bowl tight end.
  13. PICK NO.

ODELL BECKHAM
    WR
    LSU

St. Louis needs to complement its first pick. Robinson will keep Sam Bradford healthy, Beckham gives him another weapon.

• PICK NO.

CALVIN PRYOR
    FS
    LOUISVILLE

This was one of the worst defensive teams in football last year. Pryor reminds me of Bob Sanders with the way he flies all over the field, and he'll stabilize the back end of this defense.

• PICK NO.

KYLE FULLER
    CB
    VIRGINIA TECH

The Steelers could trade down, but if they don't, Fuller is their guy. Ike Taylor is 34; Fuller can play inside or outside, press or off.

• PICK NO.

JOHNNY MANZIEL
    QB
    TEXAS A&M

If it's my pick, I'd upgrade this defense with Donald or Clinton-Dix. But this is Jerry's world. Tony Romo is 34 and coming off his second back surgery, and I think this team is further away from winning a championship than people think. Can Jerry Jones pass up on this kid? I don't believe so.

• PICK NO.

C.J. MOSLEY
    ILB
    ALABAMA

Mosley is a great fit for the Ravens -- an inside linebacker who played in a 3-4 at Alabama. He makes this defense better immediately.

• PICK NO.

BRANDIN COOKS
    WR
    OREGON ST.

Along with Beckham, Cooks is the best route runner in this draft. He brings explosion after the catch and gives Geno Smith another target outside.

• PICK NO.

CYRUS KOUANDJIO
    OT
    ALABAMA

A trade down is possible, but if they sit, they've got to rebuild their offensive line. Kouandjio helps them get better and will be the fifth OT off the board.

• PICK NO.

ANTHONY BARR
    OLB
    UCLA

Derek Carr will be an option, but the Cardinals probably feel they're close enough to be in the title hunt with Carson Palmer if they add another player or two. Barr is the ultimate replacement for 36-year-old John Abraham. He's going to be a phenomenal player in two to three years.

• PICK NO.

RYAN SHAZIER
    OLB
    OHIO ST.

Shazier is a linebacker made for today's NFL. He has 4.38 speed at 237 pounds and can play inside in the base and all over the place in sub-packages. He'll be an immediate playmaker.

• PICK NO.

HA HA CLINTON-DIX
    FS
    ALABAMA

If the Eagles want to be a Super Bowl team, they have to get better on the backend. Clinton-Dix can play free safety and strong safety, and improves defensive coordinator Billy Davis' secondary.

• PICK NO.

MARQISE LEE
    WR
    USC

The Chiefs lost Dexter McCluster, a wideout and return man. They can upgrade and get younger with Lee. He runs great routes and can also help in their return game.

• PICK NO.

AARON DONALD
    DT
    PITTSBURGH

Quarterback will be a consideration, but if Donald -- my No. 12-ranked prospect -- slides this far, Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther will jump up and down and grab him here.

• PICK NO.

BRADLEY ROBY
    CB
    OHIO ST.

This team needs a corner desperately. Roby is the second-most physically gifted corner in the draft. He has some issues off the field, but I think he can be a corner with upside in San Diego.

• PICK NO.

TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
    QB
    LOUISVILLE

The Browns come back and draft their QB of the future at No. 26. Bridgewater is the long-term answer, but could redshirt a year behind Brian Hoyer, giving him time to add to his frame and get comfortable at the pro level.

• PICK NO.

KELVIN BENJAMIN
    WR
    FLORIDA ST.

Basketball on grass continues for this team, as Benjamin joins Meachem, Colston and Graham. Along with Evans, he has the best catch radius in the draft and will complement what Sean Payton likes to do.

• PICK NO.

DEREK CARR
    QB
    FRESNO ST.

*Projected trade with Carolina

With the tackles and WRs in the draft decimated, the Panthers find a trade partner with Oakland, which trades from No. 36 and gives up a fourth- and sixth-round pick. The Raiders get a QB to develop behind Schaub, while the Panthers can still get a tackle like Joel Bitonio in the next round.

• PICK NO.

JACE AMARO
    TE
    TEXAS TECH

If the Pats stay put, Amaro makes a ton of sense. At his size he's a glorified wide receiver who can split wide or play in the slot, and gives Brady another young weapon.

• PICK NO.

STEPHON TUITT
    DE
    NOTRE DAME

I see the 49ers trying to trade up, but if they have to stay here, Tuitt is a perfect fit in a physical division, and Justin Smith is 35 years old.

• PICK NO.

JASON VERRETT
    CB
    TCU

Verrett is one of my favorite players in the draft. His only issue is he's 5-9, but with Chris Harris' injury, Verrett can step in from Day 1 in the nickel and also compete on the outside.

• PICK NO.

STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE
    CB
    NEBRASKA

Jean-Baptiste is a former wide receiver like Richard Sherman, but has the size of Brandon Browner. He fits what Seattle does as a long corner and has significant upside.

FTR - If Barr and Donald really do last that long... I would be disappointed if we don't trade up and get one of them.

Especially Donald. Good lord, would I be upset. The problem is that it may take a lot to move up--or at least that would be my concern.

I think a lot of this mock is on point, such as Shazier's spot, the fact that CLE will take a QB at 26, Mosley to the Ravens, and Dennard going in the top 12-14 picks.

I would be kind of surprised to see us take Amaro at 29, however.

Especially Donald. Good lord, would I be upset. The problem is that it may take a lot to move up--or at least that would be my concern.

I think a lot of this mock is on point, such as Shazier's spot, the fact that CLE will take a QB at 26, Mosley to the Ravens, and Dennard going in the top 12-14 picks.

Unfortunately i think we like Donald much more than Belichick does, he is really undersized for what Belichick has traditionally wanted in his tackles and he does adhere to those standards fairly strictly; he passed on L. David when by all accounts he loved him as a player and size had to be the reason because there isn't another one. I love both Barr and Donald but Barr is really a 3-4 pass rushing OLB and Donald a penatrating one gap tackle. Barr would have fit them better in the past than now and Donald i would hope would fit them better now and if he is going to change the metrics that's where i hope he does it. Donald will be able to hold his ground as he gets older and he is special as a penetrating Lineman, I would want them to make that move up and sacriifice the pick I just don't believe he would do it this year.

I would want them to make that move up and sacriifice the pick I just don't believe he would do it this year.

That is my concern as well, although anything's always possible when it comes to BB.

I keep wondering if Barr isn't one of those boom or bust picks, at least in our system--which you refer to. I could be wrong, and I don't know as much about him as some of the other players, but that's the first thing that pops into my head = a bad fit here.

I want a TE high but hate the Amaro pick in the first, I actually don't even like it in the 2nd. If he is still around in the 3rd then fine but no higher than 95.

Barr is really a 3-4 pass rushing OLB and Donald a penatrating one gap tackle. Barr would have fit them better in the past than now

Barr is 6'5 255lbs... with a frame to easily get up to 265 which is pretty much the same height/weight as Chandler Jones.

Let him come in as a 3rd down pass rusher, bulk up and add more weight, and by his 2nd year he should be 265lbs and ready to get significantly more snaps.

Barr is 6'5 255lbs... with a frame to easily get up to 265 which is pretty much the same height/weight as Chandler Jones.

Let him come in as a 3rd down pass rusher, bulk up and add more weight, and by his 2nd year he should be 265lbs and ready to get significantly more snaps.

I would love Barr as a complement to Collins outside but not as a DE, he is way too skinny and simply does not have the lower body to hold up against NFL OL as a lineman. His strength is his athleticism and the more space he has to use it the better off he will be.

That is my concern as well, although anything's always possible when it comes to BB.

I keep wondering if Barr isn't one of those boom or bust picks, at least in our system--which you refer to. I could be wrong, and I don't know as much about him as some of the other players, but that's the first thing that pops into my head = a bad fit here.

I love him as a player and seriously doubt he will be there but if he's used right he is a really goodd pass rusher and could be a great OLB. Exceptional athlete who wants to be great. He should be really flexible scheme wise as he gets older but needs experience and good coaching. I think he could be great here but he is an OLB and would probably be better off in 3-4 but could still be a really good SAM for them.

Donald doesn't fit what the patriots want - he's only 6'0.

If haha clinton Dix falls to 22 belichick ought to get on the phone with his buddy chip kelly and talk trade up.

Last edited:
The Browns are crazy if they dont pick the best available QB.

If haha clinton Dix falls to 22 belichick ought to get on the phone with his buddy chip kelly and talk trade up.

Disagree
I have had it with crazy named draft picks.
Ras-I Dowling did it for me.

I agree, it would plug arguably our biggest hole on the defense. I would also consider trading up for Shazier if he's there in the 20's too. Add athleticism to the LB's and let Hightower rush a bit more.

1. If the Cowboys draft Manziel, I will be over on their forum instantly for the hilarity of it.

2. No way Donald lasts that long. He'll go in the top 15 after teams just watched the Seahawks swarm Manning from every spot on their DL. Barr might.

3. Stanley Jean-Baptiste has no right to go in the first round. I would be shocked if that came to fruition.

4. Pryor is drafted in this mock exactly where I thought he might be. For the Bears, IMO, it should be between him and Donald.

5. I don't want Verrett to go to the Broncos. Nor do I want the Jets to draft Cooks.

Last edited:
Not liking Amaro in 1st maybe 2nd I would be ok....

I feel like Donald will go higher than any of the experts are projecting. I'm having a tough time finding a team before 8 that makes sense, but potentially-elite interior pass rushers rarely make it out of the top 10.

Donald doesn't fit what the patriots want - he's only 6'2.

So isn't Dominique Easley, and unless that is a major smokescreen, the interest feels very real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes