PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock: Solder has ‘tremendously high ceiling’

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojo8401

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
“To me, he’s one of the most gifted tackles I’ve seen in the last couple of years from a foot-technique perspective,” noted Mike Mayock. “However, I think he’s underpowered. He has a tremendously high ceiling. It makes sense form a left tackle perspective, because it gives Bill Belichick the ultimate flexibility in his offensive line.”

'Underpowered' will be fixed in short order.

This kid's got great feet and that can't be taught. Clady type potential here?

Nice pick, looks like Giants and Colts had their eyes on him.

And nobody better to teach him than Dante.

And nobody better to teach him than Dante.

Exactly, I am really looking forward to seeing him progress over the year

He has a tremendously high ceiling

At 6'9", I'm sure that's important.

Last edited:
He did look pretty thin on video when he was drafted. But the guy is a monster regardless, Will be interesting to see if he can step in day 1. My initial though was Light is definitely gone. But , I think if he can be had at reasonable rate. Maybe he comes back and platoons.

Last edited:
He's got a great ceiling, and everything he does wrong is fixable. The Pats now have the most athletic OT duo in the league. Before long, they'll have the best.

He can paint too. Can't go wrong with that.

He can paint too. Can't go wrong with that.
I don't want my linemen painting in their spare time. He should be chewing glass and chopping logs... with his bare hands.

Last edited:
I remember the clamors over the Vollmer pick.

Here are a few quotes from people here on the board after we drafted Vollmer:

"as much as i love the chung pick, i dont like the vollmer pick that much."

"I actually like all three picks prior to the Vollmer selection. Wreaks too much of a reach."

"In the 2nd is a MASSIVE reach for that guy. Ridiculous. Hate the pick."

"Sebastian Vollmer, eh? What was this guy prior to giving football a go? The assistant conductor at Berlin Philharmonic? Sigh..."

"Though he lacks the athleticism to play left tackle as a pro, Vollmer has the size and length to develop into a starting right tackle in time. "

There are more, but you get the idea....

We filled a need with who we thought was the best OL on the board. It may not be flashy, but I'm really happy about the pick. They know what they are doing in the war room.. I defer to BB.

This kid's got great feet and that can't be taught. Clady type potential here?

Did you say 'great feet'? I'm surprised Rex Ryan wasn't all over this pick. :p

Last edited:
Last edited:
Check out this SS clip of him,

YouTube - Sport Science: Nate Solder

Anyone remember the guy we picked last year who made Sport Science as rookie too?

LOL. That sports science stuff is always fun. Solder looks like a beast. He can pull, get to the outside, and drive into his guy at the second level in under 1.1 seconds. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that block!

LOL. That sports science stuff is always fun. Solder looks like a beast. He can pull, get to the outside, and drive into his guy at the second level in under 1.1 seconds. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that block!

I'd love for Dwight Freeney to be on the other end, though. :D

I remember the clamors over the Vollmer pick.

Here are a few quotes from people here on the board after we drafted Vollmer:

"as much as i love the chung pick, i dont like the vollmer pick that much."

"I actually like all three picks prior to the Vollmer selection. Wreaks too much of a reach."

"In the 2nd is a MASSIVE reach for that guy. Ridiculous. Hate the pick."

"Sebastian Vollmer, eh? What was this guy prior to giving football a go? The assistant conductor at Berlin Philharmonic? Sigh..."

"Though he lacks the athleticism to play left tackle as a pro, Vollmer has the size and length to develop into a starting right tackle in time. "

There are more, but you get the idea....

We filled a need with who we thought was the best OL on the board. It may not be flashy, but I'm really happy about the pick. They know what they are doing in the war room.. I defer to BB.

In all honesty, while the arm chair selection committee (ahem... you know what I mean ;) ) may not be that savvy locating talent "THAT SUITS OUR TEAM", I some how doubt BB & his minions would fall under that category :D

I like the pick!

Getting to the QB is important, but protecting ours is also important :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots