PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock Predicted Heyward-Bey Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Stumbled onto this video of NFL.com's Mayock predicting the "surprise" pick by the Raiders, back on April 3rd. If somebody mentioned this already - sorry.

NFL Video Galleries

Why is this a surprise? Again, I think analysts/media were trying to inject logic to the Raiders pick instead of putting on their "Al Davis" hats and thinking like he does. This is the guy that is famous for attending pro-days with stop watch in hand.

even a broken clock is correct twice a day

It depends on the nature of what is broken. If the big hand and the little hand are snapped completely off, it would be correct zero times a day. Do you see my point here?

:)

If you're going to predict a senseless, truly ridiculous pick, you can pretty much count on the Raiders drafting for size/speed over superior players.

My issue with their pick isn't so much the fact they drafted him. All the power in the world to a team that targets a player and loves him. The problem here is that if Oakland had any logic/reasoning in how they draft, they could have comfortably traded backwards quite a bit, gathered picks and still easily have gotten him.

It's almost as if they have just no idea what the market for a player is.

My issue with their pick isn't so much the fact they drafted him. All the power in the world to a team that targets a player and loves him. The problem here is that if Oakland had any logic/reasoning in how they draft, they could have comfortably traded backwards quite a bit, gathered picks and still easily have gotten him.

Once Sanchez went off the board at 5, who was going to trade up to 7? I could definitely be missing someone here, but my recollection of it was that the Sanchez pick at 5 essentially killed the chances of Jacksonville trading out of 8, so I would pretty much assume that the same was true for the Raiders. Not that they were likely to trade out anyways, even if they could have :p.

Last edited:

You don't get the honor of picking in the top 10 every year if you are good at it. In fact they let you pick in the top 10 until you figure it out no matter how long it takes.

Not really a big deal. I predicted it too. It was destined to happen.

I picked the Raiders taking DHB at #7 six weeks ago in my March 15 mock:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...d/13/223906-ide-s-march-first-day-mock.html

And I'm not touting my skill as a draftnik - I just thought it was fairly obvious that Al Davis might well throw logic out the window and ignore team needs and go far the biggest fasted WR out there, so I wanted to get that idea planted in people's minds. It wasnt that far-fetched an idea.

Any idiot could predict this... like me.

The guys from WalterFootball also predicted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes