PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock Position Rankings

I really want either Aaron Donald or Dominique Easley. I think either would transform the Pats' interior defense. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Mike McCarty at the podium on NFL Network. Talks about the need for the Packers' D to get "more agile", "more athletic", "more versatile" and "attack the QB". All things I'd love to see as well, though we're obviously way ahead of GB on defense right now.

Imagine this defense with Michael Johnson/Michael Bennett in a DE rotation, Dominique Easley/Aaron Donald as a pass rushing DT, a hybrid pass rusher like Marcus Smith, and another speedy, rangy LB like Ryan Shazier or Christian Jones. You could have a hugely disruptive front 7 which could create pressure from all angles and confusion at the second level.

Donald is flying up the draft boards right now, so Easley might be the more realistic pick. I have grown on Donald as the days have come and gone. I would be all over him if he fell to 29.

Donald is flying up the draft boards right now, so Easley might be the more realistic pick. I have grown on Donald as the days have come and gone. I would be all over him if he fell to 29.

I agree with both your points: I would be all over Donald at 29, and I don't think he'll be available. So trading back and grabbing Easley + Smith/Jones is an attractive alternative. For example, trade 29 to SF for 56 and 61:

56: TE (Niklas/ASJ).
61. Easley.
62. OC Marcus Martin.

Then trade up from 93 and go after Christian Jones or Marcus Smith, and the team would be much, much better on both sides of the ball. Especially if a DE were signed in FA.

I agree with both your points: I would be all over Donald at 29, and I don't think he'll be available. So trading back and grabbing Easley + Smith/Jones is an attractive alternative. For example, trade 29 to SF for 56 and 61:

56: TE (Niklas/ASJ).
61. Easley.
62. OC Marcus Martin.

Then trade up from 93 and go after Christian Jones or Marcus Smith, and the team would be much, much better on both sides of the ball. Especially if a DE were signed in FA.

ASJ over Niklas for me, and I would be absolutely fine with the other two. DE/LB sounds good after that. I would definitely hit up SS after that, though.

Calvin Pryor is my absolute binky, but I would be fine with taking a shot at Exum in the 4th. Dude's a hitter and you know he can cover. He would be excellent value there.

I love Pryor too, but I doubt he'll be around at 29, and Exum in the 4th would be better value; plus I'm more convinced about Exum's coverage ability.

Right now my favorite defensive prospects look something like:

- Penetrating 3-tech: Aaron Donald followed by Dominique Easley.
- Fast, rangy, versatile LB who excels in coverage: Ryan Shazier and Christian Jones.
- Hybrid DE/OLB who can rush the passer and play in space: Marcus Smith.
- SS who can lay the lumber but who isn't a coverage liability: Antone Exum.
- Late round big CB/versatile DB: Dontae Johnson and Jonathan Dowling.

I love Pryor too, but I doubt he'll be around at 29, and Exum in the 4th would be better value; plus I'm more convinced about Exum's coverage ability.

- Fast, rangy, versatile LB who excels in coverage: Ryan Shazier and Christian Jones.

No love for Aaron Colvin in the 6th? I understand that he's mistake prone because he's sometimes too physical (drew a few ugly PI's at Oklahoma), but the back end of the D can use all the "physical" they can get their hands on. Colvin would be worth a 6th to stash away for a year, get healthy, get versed in the playbook, then let him compete in 2015.

No love for Aaron Colvin in the 6th? I understand that he's mistake prone because he's sometimes too physical (drew a few ugly PI's at Oklahoma), but the back end of the D can use all the "physical" they can get their hands on. Colvin would be worth a 6th to stash away for a year, get healthy, get versed in the playbook, then let him compete in 2015.

I'd be quite content with Aaron Colvin in the 6th. He's an alternative to Johnson and Dowling for me - less versatility, but more developed as an outside CB.

I agree with everything you said here but I would add a tight end, preferably one of the top four. I think my two favorite players are Pryor and Hageman. Pryor now seems like a dream but hopefully Hageman will still be there.

I agree with everything you said here but I would add a tight end, preferably one of the top four. I think my two favorite players are Pryor and Hageman. Pryor now seems like a dream but hopefully Hageman will still be there.

I was only focusing on defensive prospects, as I specified.

The Marcus Martin train getting rolling is a letdown, because he's been my favorite center prospect since he declared. Upgrading Wendell is an absolute must for me. Martin's also versatile enough that if he isn't ready to start right away, he could serve as a backup at the interior three spots while a stopgap like Goodwin is brought in.

The Marcus Martin train getting rolling is a letdown, because he's been my favorite center prospect since he declared. Upgrading Wendell is an absolute must for me. Martin's also versatile enough that if he isn't ready to start right away, he could serve as a backup at the interior three spots while a stopgap like Goodwin is brought in.

It's quite good for me because it lets Swanson drop into a more realistic area. I'd be fine with either.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back