5. Bradley Roby, Ohio State

Safety
1. Calvin Pryor, Louisville
2. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Alabama
3. Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State
4. Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois
5. Deone Bucannon, Washington State

He has Marcus Martin as the #1 center.

Kyle Fuller as #3 CB. Parts of me wants to be happy for him, part of me thinks damn! Too high for the Pats.

What? No one from Rutgers?

Actually BB did pretty well with them Knights last year.

Sucks. I've had Martin for a while and every mock I have to move him up a round.

Since Safety is such a need for the Patriots, here are my thoughts on Mayock's listing.

Calvin Pryor is an incredible banger. I wonder how long he can go without destroying not just the RB/WR but himself. He has intensity, instincts, and speed so I can see why he is rated so highly, but will he hold up?

I think that Clinton-Dix is rated too highly. Based strictly on the highlights I saw, he appears to be more a strong safety/run support type of guy. He certainly excels in run support, but I did not see the coverage and ball hawking skills of other safeties in this ranking. I suspect that his stock has been jacked up because of his size (the Seattle effect?).

Lamarcus Joyner seems more like a CB than a safety and an exceptional one at that. His size will always be an issue, but he has incredible coverage skills.

As one would expect from Mayock, this is a very solid list. A few thoughts:

QB: McCarron's not in my top 5. The top 3 are pretty much dependent on the eye of the beholder.

RB: I don't see Andre Williams being nearly that good, and I think Tre Mason is overrated. I would include Ka'Deem Carey and Devonta Freeman instead.

WR: He has Marqise Lee a bit more highly rated than I do. I would put Odell Beckham in that group over his teammate.

TE: Pretty well nailed it, with 2-4 subject to switching position between now and the draft.

OC: Pretty much nailed it, though I have Richburg and Martin very close, and I would put Larsen ahead of Ikard.

OG: Again very solid. I think Su'a-Filo might leapfrog Yankey.

OT: I have Greg Robinson rated higher than Jake Matthews.

DT: Pretty solid. Again, the order of 1-4 is subject to change, and dependent on scheme and type of player desired. I'd probably drop Nix to #4 based on his weight and it's effect on his 2013 play.

DE: I think that's probably going to be pretty close to how they end up going, with the possibility of Aaron Lynch being a late riser and breaking into the group. I like Murphy the best of the bunch, but I understand the questions about him.

LB: Borland ahead of Van Noy or Jones? Not for me. Deep, deep group.

S: Good list, though I think Clinton Dix is over-rated, and I'd move Deone Bucannon up. I love Lamarcus Joyner, but I'm not sure he can hold up as a full time safety.

CB: Another good list. I like big CBs, so I'd personally take Stanley Jean-Baptiste ahead of Robey, and possibly Verrett (who is a darn good player).

Jean-Baptiste really needs to send a thank you note to Richard Sherman. He's going to get drafted high just because people are obsessed with big CBs now. He was mediocre in most Nebraska games.

Jean-Baptiste really needs to send a thank you note to Richard Sherman. He's going to get drafted high just because people are obsessed with big CBs now. He was mediocre in most Nebraska games.

Sorry Mayo but I agree with this.

Sorry Mayo but I agree with this.

Disagreement is fine.

I think that CB is inherently an extremely physical position. A guy like Jason Verrett has tremendous coverage ability and technique, but he's just not physical enough for me - I think he'll get pushed around and overpowered in the NFL. You don't have to be 6'3" to be physical - Alfonzo Dennard is plenty physical - but height and physicality are as important to me for the position as speed and coverage skills. Height and the ability to make up ground in a hurry and to hinder WRs are an added plus. A guy like Darius Butler is a perfect example of someone with nice speed and technique - I remember Mayock raving about how beautiful his backpedal was at the 2009 Combine - but who just isn't physical enough.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste, like Richard Sherman, is a converted WR who is still learning, but as Grid says, it's all about "trajectory", and I think his trajectory in the NFL is very, very high. Regardless, I'll take big, physical DBs like SJB, Kyle Fuller, Antone Exum and Dontae Johnson for my team any day.

Disagreement is fine.

I think that CB is inherently an extremely physical position. A guy like Jason Verrett has tremendous coverage ability and technique, but he's just not physical enough for me - I think he'll get pushed around and overpowered in the NFL. You don't have to be 6'3" to be physical - Alfonzo Dennard is plenty physical - but height and physicality are as important to me for the position as speed and coverage skills. Height and the ability to make up ground in a hurry and to hinder WRs are an added plus. A guy like Darius Butler is a perfect example of someone with nice speed and technique - I remember Mayock raving about how beautiful his backpedal was at the 2009 Combine - but who just isn't physical enough.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste, like Richard Sherman, is a converted WR who is still learning, but as Grid says, it's all about "trajectory", and I think his trajectory in the NFL is very, very high. Regardless, I'll take big, physical DBs like SJB, Kyle Fuller, Antone Exum and Dontae Johnson for my team any day.

Personally I have one simple rule for CBs. can they cover? Anything else is gravy. Casey Hayward wasn't especially physical and he's been excellent so far. Size is nice but fluidity and game intelligence is far more important (and speed).

I think corners playing man coverage have two options to be effective. One be a physical freak with the talent of a Deion Sanders or Champ Bailey or two augment your physical tools with physical play like Revis, Law or Sherman.

Casey Heyward is playing a lot of man off not bump and run so it's a little bit different. He's playing more like a safety and has great instincts and break on the ball. Logan Ryan plays this technique very well too but I'm not convinced he's an off the line bump and run guy. Dennard goes a great job off the line of disrupting the route.

Anyway point being there's more than one way to skin a cat so I think it's foolish to put it into a corner must be this box. Most corners are a hybrid of athletic ability and physical play. It can be the extreme one way of Deion or the other of Revis.

I think corners playing man coverage have two options to be effective. One be a physical freak with the talent of a Deion Sanders or Champ Bailey or two augment your physical tools with physical play like Revis, Law or Sherman.

Casey Heyward is playing a lot of man off not bump and run so it's a little bit different. He's playing more like a safety and has great instincts and break on the ball. Logan Ryan plays this technique very well too but I'm not convinced he's an off the line bump and run guy. Dennard goes a great job off the line of disrupting the route.

Anyway point being there's more than one way to skin a cat so I think it's foolish to put it into a corner must be this box. Most corners are a hybrid of athletic ability and physical play. It can be the extreme one way of Deion or the other of Revis.

I think there's a lot of truth in what you say. I personally prefer bigger, more physical DBs, and have for a long, long time - way before it became popular.

I expect Jason Verrett to dazzle at the Combine and show ridiculous footwork and cover skills in the drills. But I worry that he will be eaten alive by more physical WRs in the pros.

Scheme and how a player is used can certainly make a huge difference. I have no doubt that a guy like Verrett can be successful, but he's not someone I would personally build my secondary around.

I think there's a lot of truth in what you say. I personally prefer bigger, more physical DBs, and have for a long, long time - way before it became popular.

I expect Jason Verrett to dazzle at the Combine and show ridiculous footwork and cover skills in the drills. But I worry that he will be eaten alive by more physical WRs in the pros.

Scheme and how a player is used can certainly make a huge difference. I have no doubt that a guy like Verrett can be successful, but he's not someone I would personally build my secondary around.

Would you take the Honey Badger in a redraft? I think the same principle applies where you have to use Verrett in the correct role. If I play in a divsion with DeSean Jackson, Jacoby Ford or a good slot receiver I'd take him in the second. You certainly can't put him on Vincent jackson or Megatron but if you could lock down the slot one on one that's a win.

Would you take the Honey Badger in a redraft? I think the same principle applies where you have to use Verrett in the correct role. If I play in a divsion with DeSean Jackson, Jacoby Ford or a good slot receiver I'd take him in the second. You certainly can't put him on Vincent jackson or Megatron but if you could lock down the slot one on one that's a win.

Mathieu is much more physical than Verrett. And I like Verrett much better as a slot CB than an outside CB. I understand your point, and I said that I thought Verrett could be used effectively. I personally wouldn't choose to build my secondary that way, and given the players the Pats already have I wouldn't go that route.

Mathieu is much more physical than Verrett. And I like Verrett much better as a slot CB than an outside CB. I understand your point, and I said that I thought Verrett could be used effectively. I personally wouldn't choose to build my secondary that way, and given the players the Pats already have I wouldn't go that route.

Mathieu was an example. They don't play the same style but they were using him as a slot cover guy and as a free safety in situations. I happen to agree with you that given the Pats personnel and needs he doesn't warrant a second to draft him but since we were discussing corner philosophy I was going with that tangent and pointing out he has a place on an NFL roster and probably plays a big role. If SF went out and got DeSean Jackson I bet Pete would find a use for him in a hurry.

Before it became obvious that he was going to be a high round pick, I wanted Mathieu on this team badly at this time last year. Would have loved to have had him and would still love to have him.

I like that list for two reasons: Hageman down to 4th DT and Travis Swanson down to #3 Center.

I think both would be great fits here, so that makes me think we can get them both, maybe sandwiching Jace Amaro or ASJ at TE.

So maybe Hageman in the first.
TE in the second (maybe trade up to get the one BB wants).
Swanson in the third.

I would be very happy with that draft. Hageman is exactly the kind of DT BB likes, and Swanson is doing lots to improve his hands technique and learning guard, to0, from what I've read. He'd be a steal after round 2...

Great list by Mayock. One name on defense I am surprised that is missing is Tuitt. I thought he was a consensious first round pick and top defensive end in most rankings.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back