PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock on OLB's for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
English is officially my Binky.

I think they will draft English at #23 if they don't trade for Peppers. I hear too many good things about him from Mayock.

Last edited:
I think they will draft English at #23 if they don't trade for Peppers. I hear too many good things about him from Mayock.

They have TBC, Crable, Redd, Craig...why do they need a slow 6'2" guy? He's just another body on the pile.

Well, I'd be fine with your first three choices at 23.

If Laurinitis or Maualuga arent available at 23 or Malcolm Jenkins isnt within reach to move up I pull the trigger on English at 23 no hesitation.

They have TBC, Crable, Redd, Craig...why do they need a slow 6'2" guy? He's just another body on the pile.

The same was said about LaMarr Woodley, a player English is most often compared to, coming out. Like Woodley, English will be an impact player on the next level.

If you read a scouting report on English and one on Woodley coming out it's pretty much the same thing. It goes something like....doesn't have blazing speed but possesses good closing speed and is deceptive in pursuit of the ball. English/Woodley is an impact player as a pass rusher, he also shows good hand technique at the point. Sheds blockers well and locates the ball carrier quickly. English/Woodley is a "tweener" and will more than likely have to find a home at OLB at the next level. Best fit would be as a 3-4 OLB where he can an occasionally line up at DE on the weak side. English/Woodley has all the intangibles to excel as a 3-4 OLB, especially as a pass rusher with the added plus of being able to get the job done vs the run. High character player who is clean off the field.

Last edited:
The same was said about LaMarr Woodley, a player English is most often compared to, coming out. Like Woodley, English will be an impact player on the next level.

If you read a scouting report on English and one on Woodley coming out it's pretty much the same thing. It goes something like....doesn't have blazing speed but possesses good closing speed and is deceptive in pursuit of the ball. English/Woodley is an impact player as a pass rusher, he also shows good hand technique at the point. Sheds blockers well and locates the ball carrier quickly. English/Woodley is a "tweener" and will more than likely have to find a home at OLB at the next level. Best fit would be as a 3-4 OLB where he can an occasionally line up at DE on the weak side. English/Woodley has all the intangibles to excel as a 3-4 OLB, especially as a pass rusher with the added plus of being able to get the job done vs the run. High character player who is clean off the field.

Great Comparison. I agree that he is in the mold of woodley as an OLB. I'm fine with him at #23. Great pass Rusher and good run stopper, my only concern is his ability to play in space.

Don't pay attention to 40 times. When are defenders going to have to run 40 yards to a QB? Terrell Suggs had a 4.8 40 time at the combine but teams payed more attention to his "game speed". He's a pretty damn good player. Also, guys like Justin Tuck and Lamar Woodley didn't post great 40 times. A players initial burst (getting off the snap) and closing speed is what matters most. TBC will be lucky to make the team, Redd and Craig are practice squad guys but Crable has shown the most during last preseason.

Last edited:
English is a guy that should not be picked above is value. He is a round 2-early selection. Perfect value for Patriots at 34. He brings the heat which Patriots have been lacking-creating more concerns in coverage. He needs to be in a rotation for a year before he gets the job in this system. He has the right motor-alot of power off the edge. Pretty good securing the edge in running game.

FWIW, Mayock compared English to Lamarr Woodley on Path to the Draft this week. He said that English was quicker than Woodley and thinks he'll be a good OLB in the pros.

TBC is going to be fighting NOT to get cut during camp.

Crable has done absolutely nothing who knows if he can be relied on in 2009.

Redd is a major project nothing more at this point.

I dont even no who the hell Craig is to be honest.

Woods is fine but not an impact pass rushing olb, hes a fine backup.

Ill take my chances with English over any of these players, he has great potential something neither of these players really posses.

Last edited:
Nice draft summary article. The growing popularity of the 3-4 means that the Pats will have stiff competition from other teams for the pool of 3-4 hybrids in this year's draft. If they see Barwin or English as their guy, they might have to take them at 23 or lose out on getting their guy.

Draft's top hybrid DE/OLBs: Popularity of 3-4 creates demand

Last edited:
FWIW, Mayock compared English to Lamarr Woodley on Path to the Draft this week. He said that English was quicker than Woodley and thinks he'll be a good OLB in the pros.

There is no substitute for a quick twitch first step coming off the edge. If a players runs a 5.0 but explodes off the edge and can beat an OT with his first two steps, that is gold.

English is a guy that should not be picked above is value.

Why English specifically? Is this not the case w/all players?

Don't pay attention to 40 times. When are defenders going to have to run 40 yards to a QB? Terrell Suggs had a 4.8 40 time at the combine but teams payed more attention to his "game speed". He's a pretty damn good player. Also, guys like Justin Tuck and Lamar Woodley didn't post great 40 times. A players initial burst (getting off the snap) and closing speed is what matters most. TBC will be lucky to make the team, Redd and Craig are practice squad guys but Crable has shown the most during last preseason.

Best way to put it, there is functional football speed and manufactured track speed. Englishs' football speed during games is good so who cares about his 40.

Good posting.

I remember the year Woodley came out. He was my binky. I desperately wanted the Pats to take him and Mike Griffin with their two first rounders that season. We ended up drafting Meriweather and trading the other pick (I think).

Some on this forum thought I was crazy for wanting to take Woodley in the first round.... not so crazy after all eh' boys? :)

Good posting.

I remember the year Woodley came out. He was my binky. I desperately wanted the Pats to take him and Mike Griffin with their two first rounders that season. We ended up drafting Meriweather and trading the other pick (I think).

Some on this forum thought I was crazy for wanting to take Woodley in the first round.... not so crazy after all eh' boys? :)

I'm plenty happy with Meriweather and Welker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes