Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mayock dissects Brady-to-Tate

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Uncle Rico, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +309 / 1 / -2

No Jersey Selected

NFL Videos: Wk 8 Anatomy: Tom Brady's Improvisation

Nice breakdown on NFLN. Shows that Welker was open early but Brady didn't throw to him, then dissects the improv work. Tate ... man -- I see him running and don't think he's going very fast, but then he pulls away from DBs. Nice.

2. SuperPatsFan

SuperPatsFan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey, great! Thanks!

A scramble and a pass for a TD is obviously wonderful, but long-term, I think I'd prefer that the pass protection hold up.

3. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -4

I love the breakdown of that play. Also if you watch closely, you'll see that after getting by the corner, Tate makes a move on the safety in space to get the guy's hips turned, then he just rips it the other way and the guy is eating dust at that point. :) As Brett put it, 'awesome play' what else can you say? Tate may not have 4.2 speed but he's got at least 4.4 speed and I really liked what I saw from him on that play, creating room for himself with an athletic football move and then taking it in all the way for the score.

4. kurtinelson

kurtinelson In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -2

#37 Jersey

That's impossible. Without Moss on the field running a half-assed deep pattern how was Welker possibly open?

5. VJCPatriot

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -4

What Welker did accomplish is draw the deep safety's initial attention enough that he could be nowhere close to Tate when Brady made that throw. The strong safety was sucked in by the play action fake, and Brady's 'pirouette' bought enough time for him to find a wide open Tate. Where did he learn that move, did Giselle teach him? :D

6. TealSox

TealSox Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for sharing!

I guess I'm with Mayock in wondering why Brady looked off Welker and went to Tate. The immediate assumption is the match-up of Winfield vs. Welker with the safety deep and Asher Allen man-up vs. Tate.

7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +309 / 1 / -2

No Jersey Selected

When Favre was talking -- and maybe this is just me -- I felt like he was waiting for someone to ask, "Did he remind you of you?"

Earlier this week I complained because Deion Sanders on NFLN gave Brady no credit for the scramble -- "when you give a guy all day like that he'll find someone." Huh? Seemed like an odd analysis. This makes up for it.

8. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,803 / 79 / -77

Disable Jersey

Welker was even with the defender. Welker is not Moss, so his being even isn't automatically his being open.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  9. resdubwhite

resdubwhite In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Deion Sanders is clearly not sane. He's the empty vessel that stirs controversy.

10. VJCPatriot

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -4

This much is true. Welker doesn't have the deep speed of a Moss or Tate so he's not necessarily open. Winfield is playing inside tech on that play with safety help over the top. The only way to beat Winfield is on a perfect throw over the top and to the outside shoulder. But the safety might float over and get in the way. It's also possible that Winfield is trying to bait Brady by design to force a throw into that window but Brady didn't bite.

If you look closely, you'll notice that Brady also opts not to throw initially at the Tate/CB matchup when they were still close together. After Brady's spin, Tate gets behind the CB and that's when Brady throws it up and the football gets there in a hurry the instant he sees the chance develop.

Also nobody EVER comments on the speed of Brady's release. He got that football out there lightning quick. Brady's read and release speeds are part of what separate him into the elite echelon of QBs in the NFL. #12 just processes the game at another level and has amazing field vision. If I would make a cross-sport comparison it'd be Larry Bird. But since those skills don't necessarily translate to tighter sprials or longer bombs, they are considered 'intangibles' and nobody ever praises him for it.

Well I think he deserves credit for once. Well done TFB! That was a great instinctual football play! Simply AWESOME. :)

11. BradyBranch39

BradyBranch39 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

plus, he doesn't have the height of Moss/Tate.

12. emoney_33

emoney_33 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Brady has Tate tunnel vision now, trade him!

13. Brady2Welker

Brady2Welker Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hernandez-Vision too. Trade em both.

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,080 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

You brought back a flashback of Brady playing in the preseason when he was an NFL pup ... that was the first thing I noticed ... it was evident even then that he had some serious intangibles.

15. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Tate's burst is amazing. His top-end speed may not be great but his acceleration is.

16. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I've got to agree with your statement, not sure what everyone is talking about. When Tate ran one of those kick-offs back, he got even with some players around the 50 yard line, then it looked like he put the turbo on and just flat out blew by everyone. I know I wasn't the only one who saw that.

17. D-Money

D-Money In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That was all Brady if u asked me.The jury is still out on Tate.Tate needs to get separation and run precise routes.

18. TheGreatestEVER

TheGreatestEVER On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It was all Brady on that one, welker is quick he aint fast so it wouldn't have made sence for him to throw the ball his way, especially with winfield.

19. Froob

Froob Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +292 / 9 / -3

#32 Jersey

I bet we can get a 3rd & a 5th for them, and then trade the 3rd into 2012 for a 2nd. The 5th round pick we can use for a LB or OL that we will cut
    (and will ultimately end up on the browns or jets) for an undrafted free agent.
    Anyways what were we talkin about :D ?

20. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +255 / 22 / -11

Pure speed does not get you the NCAA return records. Brandon Tate has the ability to show a leg at top speed, and defenders get tangle leg in response. That is his talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.