PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo: This is a no-name defense and that's how we like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote them off in overtime as soon as we lost the toss. Figured the Ravens would dink and dunk right down the field and torch our secondary. I was wrong. They stopped the Ravens offense more than once and actually ended up winning the game for us.

Yep, I'm guilty too. I wasn't ready to give up on the game, but every time that defense took the field I was very nervous.

Yep, I'm guilty too. I wasn't ready to give up on the game, but every time that defense took the field I was very nervous.

It's understandable. It's because you, like the rest of us, have seen the defense fall apart time and time again in key situations for the last year or so.

lol, Actually it is because you "immediately" put them at 3-2 and was looking ahead at our next game?

Serious brah? That's why It's hard to post on this board in the game threads without wanting to spew because 90% of the people are giving up when there is still a good chance to win the game.

With overtime rules at sudden death, and how they walked all over our D for 3/4ths of the game, how could you think we had a chance after losing the toss? I as well thought we were done because of the flip of a coin. Then we stopped them and I was pumped up! Then they stopped us and I was sad again. Then we stopped them again and I was excited again! Rinse and repeat until the end when I was on the floor in the fetal position breathing in to a paper bag because I couldn't take the stress anymore!!

With overtime rules at sudden death, and how they walked all over our D for 3/4ths of the game, how could you think we had a chance after losing the toss? I as well thought we were done because of the flip of a coin. Then we stopped them and I was pumped up! Then they stopped us and I was sad again. Then we stopped them again and I was excited again! Rinse and repeat until the end when I was on the floor in the fetal position breathing in to a paper bag because I couldn't take the stress anymore!!

I'm surprised the super bowl years didn't kill you.

I'm surprised the super bowl years didn't kill you.

Don't get me wrong, I think our defense has a TON of potential, but I can't think of a time in the past where this young of a team was forced over and over to step up like they were last weekend. Especially going in to the game with the 32nd ranked 3rd down defense!

I think the defense is improving, but I just wish our corners would learn to play the ball. For the life of me I can't see why its not addressed by the coaches. It has cost us a few TD's (namely Butler vs Edwards), and some costly penalties.

Its seems like an easy fix but they continue to make the same mistakes. Very frustrating.

Just because we stopped the Ravens 5 straight times, it doesn't mean we're good. They were clutch, but we are far from beeing a good defense.

This makes no sense. Are you saying that stopping the Ravens five straight times is not good? What exactly are you hoping for, if not five straight stops? Do the Ravens have a good D? Because they couldn't stop us five straight times.

After Miami and Baltimore, it's not even valid to call them inconsistent.

The D is growing up in front of our eyes. Cunningham, Spikes, Arrington, Ninkovich, Chung, McCourty... in the last three games, they collectively doubled their number of NFL starts.

I laugh at the pity that is your fandom when you "write the team off" at any point in a close game. What a shame it must be to live in your minds during games.

Anyway, the defense is getting a whole lot of coaching from a pretty damn great coach during games. They seem to be listening and taking it in. Each week I get more and more optimistic. Of course it's hard not to be crazy optimistic with patspsycho's thus-far-very-accurate prediction of the current stretch of games :D

:confused:

It's hardly impossible as long as you have talent.

The Vrabels, Seymours, Johnsons, Bruschis, and McGinests don't come around too often.

This defense is extremely demanding on the front seven.

This is why I don't like our defensive philosophies. Impossible assignments for these guys.

Mayo's tackles and our lovely breakdown reports from posters beg to differ. Difficult assignments but not impossible. People are going to love this defense, now enjoy watching them grow up in front of your eyes. Instead of missing it and being like "oh crap whoa, remember when she was just a little baby", enjoy the ride! :D

The Vrabels, Seymours, Johnsons, Bruschis, and McGinests don't come around too often.

This defense is extremely demanding on the front seven.

Don't worry, in a few years you'll be saying the "Mayos, Spikes, Wilforks, Cunningham's and Deaderick's" don't come around too often.

The Chungs and the McCourtys neither. The Braces and the ninkos aren't too shabby either :p

Mayo's tackles and our lovely breakdown reports from posters beg to differ. Difficult assignments but not impossible. People are going to love this defense, now enjoy watching them grow up in front of your eyes. Instead of missing it and being like "oh crap whoa, remember when she was just a little baby", enjoy the ride! :D

What's great about it is our rivals are getting old, just like the Pats were a few years ago. The writing is on the wall in many cities, and they know their window is getting smaller. Teams like the Colts and Steelers, while not exactly ancient, are definitely not bringing in a lot of young talent. The Jets have the fewest players on their roster 24 or younger, with just 11. The Pats have 21. The Jets defense has a lot of veterans and one-year deals. I don't see how they'll reload with few draft picks. Obviously, we know all about the doomsday (for other NFL teams) that the Pats will layout during next year's draft.

Pats have bitten the bullet and really reloaded on defense. I think the Vrabel trade was an indication that while he can still play at a high level, it was time for a complete demolition and rebuild. Very ballsy. We'll see how the other teams handle their aging veterans.

What's great about it is our rivals are getting old, just like the Pats were a few years ago. The writing is on the wall in many cities, and they know their window is getting smaller. Teams like the Colts and Steelers, while not exactly ancient, are definitely not bringing in a lot of young talent. The Jets have the fewest players on their roster 24 or younger, with just 11. The Pats have 21. The Jets defense has a lot of veterans and one-year deals. I don't see how they'll reload with few draft picks. Obviously, we know all about the doomsday (for other NFL teams) that the Pats will layout during next year's draft.

Pats have bitten the bullet and really reloaded on defense. I think the Vrabel trade was an indication that while he can still play at a high level, it was time for a complete demolition and rebuild. Very ballsy. We'll see how the other teams handle their aging veterans.

That's why I think the Steelers could go off the deep end at any minute. Everyone saw what happened last year when Troy went down. I looked at their starting defense and they have like 3-4 guys in the late 20s but the vast majority of their starters are 30+. I'd be shocked if they all made it through the year.

Don't worry, in a few years you'll be saying the "Mayos, Spikes, Wilforks, Cunningham's and Deaderick's" don't come around too often.

The Chungs and the McCourtys neither. The Braces and the ninkos aren't too shabby either :p

Against the Ravens in the fourth quarter and OT was certainly encouraging.

What's interesting is that I haven't seen Brace get much PT after it seemed like he was becoming part of the rotation.

Also, who comes in as our nickel back? Is it Butler or Wilhite?

ROFL ROFL!!!!!! People at work are now looking at me funny..... but this is exactly how it played out for me last Sunday :p

Don't fault anyone for losing hope after the coin toss. I had written off the Pats D last year. However this season I've been watching them mature. In this instance I was watching via DVR with no info on whether we won or not but I had a positive vibe based on the 4th QTR D. Took longer for our O to win it that I thought though. Kudos to the newbies.

This I don't agree with.

I look at the Colts, and 6 of their starters on offense are 26 or under (with Manning playing as well as he ever has, Wayne and Clark still putting up numbers, and Saturday about to be replaced by a younger model), whilst on defense they have just two players over the age of thirty - Freeney and Brackett. And they have the next generation lined up to replace both of those (Hughes for Freeney, Angerer for Brackett).

The Colts do a terrific job of keeping their team young, always have.

The Steelers - fair enough, they have ageing players in some key positions, but even so they've started the youth movement in recent years (Woodley, Gibson, Worilds, Timmons, Hood, Gay, Butler and co on defense, Pouncey, Sanders, Dwyer, Brown, Mendenhall, Wallace etc on offense). Both are very well run Franchises who do a great job of staying competitive.

Here's another player on defense who is probably unknown - for right now - by the vast majority of NFL fans outside of New England.

Rookie Cunningham on the rise - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Cunningham, one of the team’s second-round draft choices (53rd overall), has emerged as a starter in the team’s 3-4 alignment the last two weeks. Overall, his snaps played this season break down like this: 26, 23, 28, 53, 59.

What that progression reflects is a player who was eased into the mix as a sub rusher before taking on more responsibility in the base defense. It is also tied to a leg injury Cunningham sustained Aug. 11 in a joint practice with the Saints, which sidelined him for all four preseason games. So the start of the regular season was almost like his preseason.
Cunningham was praised by Bill Belichick for his performance in last Sunday’s win over the Ravens, which included six tackles, one sack and one forced fumble. He also drew a personal foul penalty on fullback Le’Ron McClain in overtime that contributed to a big field-position shift.

Part of what makes Cunningham’s emergence surprising is that he is transitioning from playing defensive end in college (where he would be in a three-point stance with his hand on the ground) to outside linebacker in the NFL (where he is playing on two feet).

At 6-foot-3, 260 pounds, he has the size, strength and athleticism that the Patriots like.

This makes no sense. Are you saying that stopping the Ravens five straight times is not good? What exactly are you hoping for, if not five straight stops? Do the Ravens have a good D? Because they couldn't stop us five straight times.

After Miami and Baltimore, it's not even valid to call them inconsistent.

The D is growing up in front of our eyes. Cunningham, Spikes, Arrington, Ninkovich, Chung, McCourty... in the last three games, they collectively doubled their number of NFL starts.

What has been consistant about our defense??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back