PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo takes loss hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady honestly needs to practice running with the ball or throwing on the run. If he gets better in those our offense would be insane. There are a lot of times he can run for yards but he doesn't. I am not complaining about Brady but those are things he can definitely learn and do.

Brady has always been a terrible QB on the run. Absolutely awful. Brilliant in the pocket, but the words "Brady" and "roll out" strike fear in my heart.

Brady honestly needs to practice running with the ball or throwing on the run. If he gets better in those our offense would be insane. There are a lot of times he can run for yards but he doesn't. I am not complaining about Brady but those are things he can definitely learn and do.

When the players are performing to their capabilities, coached well, and the playcalling is geared towards exploiting a defense's weakness, this offense is insane.

Brady is one of the best all-time at moving in the pocket and buying time. he is not a statue back there (see Bledsoe). Brady's lack of escapability or scrambling ability is not the core issue.

Playcalling, playcalling, playcalling.

Last edited:
When the players are performing to their capabilities, coached well, and the playcalling is geared towards exploiting a defense's weakness, this offense is insane.

Brady is one of the best all-time at moving in the pocket and buying time. he is by far a statue back there (see Bledsoe). Brady's lack of escapability or scrambling ability is not the core issue.

Playcalling, playcalling, playcalling.

Not a core issue at all. Having that would be a luxury and I think he can do it..
I know I am not the only one that sees instances where Brady can run but he hesitates or doesn't run. When he did it against the Ravens in 07, we won an extremely close game.

Not a core issue at all. Having that would be a luxury and I think he can do it..
I know I am not the only one that sees instances where Brady can run but he hesitates or doesn't run. When he did it against the Ravens in 07, we won an extremely close game.

I don't blame him for avoiding any type of physical contact. He's got a surgically repaired knee just a year ago. Did you see him after he threw that first INT? He just fell down. I don't blame him. He gets hurt, we get Hoyer.

Maualuga has 1 sack, the same as Mayo. and he has 2 FF, one more than Mayo. He also has 46 tackles, whereas Mayo, who missed 4 games has 52. where exactly is Maualuga "blowing Mayo away?"

Who gives a crap about the tackle total. Are you serious? Mayo's tackles are NON-IMPACT, in other words they are being made after 5-10 yard gains. Who gives a crap about that? Useless ! Make the tackles at or near the LOS or in the backfield like the playmaker Maualuga does. You never, ever see this out of Mayo.

As for Curtis Lofton, if you don't like seeing LBs make tackles 5-8 yards downfield than stay away from him. A large amount of his stops are well past the LOS

I'll take the combo of (Curtis Lofton / DRC) over what we ended up with
(Mayo / Wheatley) any day of the week !

Brady has always been a terrible QB on the run. Absolutely awful. Brilliant in the pocket, but the words "Brady" and "roll out" strike fear in my heart.

It depends on whether he can reset.

Remember the long throw at the end of the Super Bowl?

I also remember his throw on the run near the goalline against the Colts in the playoffs. It was a carbon copy of a play where Manning threw an INT in the same game.

I agree he has also had moments of not looking good.

You are saying two different things now. Your first post was scrambling (which Matt Cassell did very well last year). There are designed rollouts where the QB is working a play to an overloaded side of the field, and there is scrambling for 5-10 yards on a play throwing on the run because you are pressured.

IMO, with either one bad things happen. A) Brady gets popped by some headhunter and B) His comp% goes downhill and increases the risk of failure on the play (see 2005 Div game at DEN. Horrible throw to Troy Brown which was picked off by Champ Bailey. The McKenzie pick was another example.

Brady just doesn't do either one well. He is who he is which is a one of the greatest pocket-passing QBs of all-time.

Maualuga has 1 sack, the same as Mayo. and he has 2 FF, one more than Mayo. He also has 46 tackles, whereas Mayo, who missed 4 games has 52. where exactly is Maualuga "blowing Mayo away?"

Interesting you left out a couple of key stats which truly measure a penetrating, gap shooting ILB (STF) (STFY) that makes impact plays not tackles 5-10 yards down field.

Rey Maualuga (Rookie year - Only 2 more games)

29 solo
17 asst
1.0 sack
4 (STF) tackles for loss
7 (Yards lost on those STFs)

2 Forced Fumbles

Jerod Mayo (2nd year - Only 2 less games)

36 solo (most after damage has been done - useless)
16 asst
1.0 sack
1 (STF) tackles for loss (THE KEY STAT)
2 (Yards lost on those STFs)

1 Forced Fumble

Give me a Rey Maualuga any day of the week especially given the value of where he was picked compared to where Jerod Mayo was picked. The 10th overall pick compared to the 38th overall pick. BB flat out blew it passing on him twice.

Who gives a crap about the tackle total. Are you serious? Mayo's tackles are NON-IMPACT, in other words they are being made after 5-10 yard gains. Who gives a crap about that? Useless ! Make the tackles at or near the LOS or in the backfield like the playmaker Maualuga does. You never, ever see this out of Mayo.

I've seen him make plenty of stops near the LOS. off the top of my head, he popped Thomas Jones near the line several times during the the second Jets game this year. I saw him do it to Cadillac in the Bucs game as well. Are you saying that 3 extra STFY tackles is the difference between an impact player and a "non-factor?" Passing on Maualuga wasn't a mistake, taking Brace when Clint Sintim was available was.

For the record, I'm not saying Mayo's game isn't flawed. He needs to be more aggressive at times and react better, but ripping him and blaming him for the defense's performance on Sunday is pointless. He's a good, young ILB who's shown flashes of becoming a legit playmaker, just like everyone's favorite draft prospect Rey Rey has. ILB isn't the problem with the defense, OLB/pass rush is

And again, if tackles far past the LOS annoy you, then why would you want Curtis Lofton? I've watched most of the Falcons games so far this season and the guy makes a living tackling people near, if not past the first down marker. Look at his stats for the Falcons-Pats game: 19 total tackles. But did you really notice him at all during that game? Would you say the Falcons defense, specifically the run defense played well that game?

Last edited:
And again, if tackles far past the LOS annoy you, then why would you want Curtis Lofton? I've watched most of the Falcons games so far this season and the guy makes a living tackling people near, if not past the first down marker. Look at his stats for the Falcons-Pats game: 19 total tackles. Did you notice him at all during that game? Would you say the Falcons defense, specifically the run defense played well that game?

Look, if you told me to take one of the 3 (Mayo, Rey-Rey or Lofton), I'm taking Rey-Rey. I mention Lofton in that I see him and Mayo as very comparable players right now, both drafted the same year, yet one drafted much higher than the other, and you get the same damn production out of each.

I say Curtis Lofton because he would have given you the same production as what we're currently seeing out of Mayo AND we could have drafted DRC at #10 or even lower (with another trade down - talk about value!).

DRC would have been our lock down CB for years (tall stud CB with world class speed and tremendous ball instincts and closing ability), instead we ended up with Terrence Wheatley, you do the math !

It was poor draft strategy, I said it on that day and I stand by it today. Much like it was poor stategy to pass on Rey-Rey not just once, but twice and instead BB focused on Mr. Inactive Ron Brace fearing a Big Vince Sit Out. Rey-Rey and Mayo next to one another in a 3-4 would have been tremendous and I'm shocked that BB didn't see the same damn thing.

Rey-Rey and Mayo next to one another in a 3-4 would have been tremendous and I'm shocked that BB didn't see the same damn thing.

I agree, it would be a nasty combination. But run defense is not a weakness of the team, pass rush is. Which is why passing on the best 3-4 OLB in the draft (Sintim) was the biggest mistake.

As for Wheatley, I hated that pick back then and I wish we could have it back, but what's done is done. BB recognized that CB was a problem last year and drafted Butler who's shown flashes of being a stud. Now that Wilhite is probably seeing a reduced role we can see more of what Butler can do

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes