PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo signed to 5-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mayo signed

As per Reiss, Mayo signed a five year deal worth $18.9 million with 13.8 guaranteed.

That is going to look like peanuts compared to the guys just a couple of picks in front of him. Nothing official, but I've read that Gholston has signed to a deal worth $9M per. That trade down to #10 is looking pretty sweet right about now.

Wow, I had assumed the 5 yr versus 6 yr argument would lead to at least a short holdout. I guess either Mayo didn't want to fight that fight or Pioli/BB are getting softer with age.:)

Not sure but Watson, who incidently held out for a couple days, might have been the last first rounder to sign a six year deal. Mankins, Maroney, Meriweather and now Mayo have all signed five year rookie deals.

I'd have preferred 6 but 5 years is a long time away, I'm more concerned about the next 5 years than him getting an extra year.

Very True.

Two more thoughts. It seems many of these (other first round) 6 year deals are actually voidable in the 6th year. So many of them might not even go the full 6 years anyway.

Also I find it interesting to see that Mayo was the first pick between picks 5-13 to sign. This means his contract will be used as a basis for picks just before and after his (#10). Nothing new there. But there is a (possible) subtle advantage for the Pats in that they are the trend setter for a 5 year deal. Which means all the other agents will also want 5 year deals (and problably some get them) when as an under 15 pick it could have been 6 years.

This can actually helps the Pats if you look beyond just Mayo. The Pats normally don't ever pick this high (nor trade up into the top 15 to pick this high). Nor will likely in the foreseeable Belicheck /Brady 'glory' era. Ok, you may lose Mayo after 5 years but that also means say 3-6 other teams around pick # 10 could ALSO lose their player after 5 years - if they now have to sign 5 year deals to match Mayos' contract length. So you weaken yourself but also possibly weaken 3-6 other teams at the same time.

They all (could) become freeagents thereby weakening all those teams. And guess who currently is one of the most desireable teams for freeagents to sign with? :D (Hint: Team starts with letter 'P').

So we may lose Mayo after 5 years but instead have 3-6 other high 1st round draft picks to recruit here!

P.S. I would like a crack at signing Glenn Dorsey in about 5 years (hopefully after Wilfork signs a 5 year extension and then calls it quits). Or Sedrick Ellis among others.

Last edited:
So Gholston did sign a 5 year deal. $21M in guarantees and max out value of $50M ($32.5M not including incentives). It is easy to think of the #6 pick and #10 pick being in the same "tier", but the money is radically different.

That is going to look like peanuts compared to the guys just a couple of picks in front of him. Nothing official, but I've read that Gholston has signed to a deal worth $9M per. That trade down to #10 is looking pretty sweet right about now.

It will be even sweeter if Mayo gets Defensive Rookie of the Year. In BB(and Pioli) we trust.:)

So Gholston did sign a 5 year deal. $21M in guarantees and max out value of $50M ($32.5M not including incentives). It is easy to think of the #6 pick and #10 pick being in the same "tier", but the money is radically different.

The Jets have to be over the cap. If they don't do something this year, other than suck, Gholston will be learning a new coaches defensive philosophy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...NAF?slug=jc-jets-gholston&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The New York Jets signed linebacker/defensive end Vernon Gholston, the sixth overall pick in this year’s NFL Draft, to a five-year, $50 million contract on Friday morning.

The deal includes a $21 million signing bonus, making Gholston the fifth rookie to get more than $20 million in guaranteed money.

The Jets and agent Ben Dogra spent most of Wednesday and Thursday working out the final details of the contract.

The signing is expected to help push a deal for fifth overall pick Glenn Dorsey, whose agent has yet to begin serious negotiations with the Kansas City Chiefs. The deal also leaves only Dorsey, No. 7 pick Sedrick Ellis of the New Orleans Saints, No. 8 selection Derrick Harvey of the Jacksonville Jaguars and No. 9 pick Keith Rivers of the Cincinnati Bengals as the only unsigned players among the top 10 draft choices.

Jason Cole is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Jason a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

5/50 Gholston
5/19 Mayo

I'll bet the 21M difference that Gholston isn't 2.5X the player Mayo is.

Who cares about the extra year. The Mayo pick and signing shows exactly how far ahead of everyone in the league the Pats really are, great business moves all around.
1st they move down from #7 to #10 and save about $30 mil and then they sign the #10 pick to an increase of only 13% over last year's #10 pick while the going rate around the league is 20-30%.

Well, that is a reason why I never wanted the Pats to trade up to get anyone. The Pats drafted 4 positions below the Jets and Mayo's total contract is less than Gholston's garantees. I'm sorry, but I doubt Gholston will be over $30 million better than Mayo even if they both live up to their draft positions.

5/50 Gholston
5/19 Mayo

I'll bet the 21M difference that Gholston isn't 2.5X the player Mayo is.

To be fair, the $50M for Gholston likely includes some incentives that will be really tough to reach...so the likely achievable value is probably significantly less (though I obviously don't know that for sure). I originally brought this up because there was a lot of conversation about staying at #7 or trading up to get Gholston or CLong. Now the cost associated with that type of decision is becoming clear. Not saying which is the "right" decision, just saying that it becomes interesting when you factor in contracts.

To be fair, the $50M for Gholston likely includes some incentives that will be really tough to reach...so the likely achievable value is probably significantly less (though I obviously don't know that for sure).

His signing bonus was 21M which is 2M higher than Mayo's entire contract.

His signing bonus was 21M which is 2M higher than Mayo's entire contract.

Really? Wow. Can someone post both contract details? Sorry, I'm sure it's somewhere on here I just did not see it.

His signing bonus was NOT 21 million, his contract is 21 million guaranteed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...5nYcB?slug=ap-jets-gholston&prov=ap&type=lgns

Simple math proves it can't all be SB:

The JEST have $4.9M total to sign their drafted rookies this season. That includes the base salaries and the first-year proration of any bonuses.

$21M SB over 5 years would be $4.2M. That would leave them with $700K for everything else. Even the JEST aren't that stupid. :p

[FYI, the Pats got $4.35M for their drafted rookies, so Mayo's year 1 cap hit should come in around $1.7M.]

His signing bonus was NOT 21 million, his contract is 21 million guaranteed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...5nYcB?slug=ap-jets-gholston&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

The New York Jets signed linebacker/defensive end Vernon Gholston, the sixth overall pick in this year’s NFL Draft, to a five-year, $50 million contract on Friday morning.

The deal includes a $21 million signing bonus, making Gholston the fifth rookie to get more than $20 million in guaranteed money.

Yahoo had it as 21M signing bonus earlier in the day which blew me away. The 21M guaranteed seems more in line.

Still 2.5X Mayo for the total contract? That just seems so out of whack.

Dorsey signed a 5 year deal today. So a lot of the guys that are eligible to get a six year deal are getting five. Mayo, Gholston, Dorsey, and Jake Long off the top of my head have all received 5 year contracts.

Wow, $13.8 of it is guaranteed? NFL teams are really starting to guarantee a higher percentage of a contracts money these days.

As pointed out, note how much Gholston commanded guaranteed.

That's a huge difference and a huge cap benefit achieved by trading down (assuming you still have a quality player)

In the best case scenario $4 million a year is a steal - and in the absolute worst case scenario (where he's so bad they give up on him after 2 years to cut their losses) the cap hit hurts but it can be done to save the actual money.

No one's expecting the worst case scenario - that's just to illustrate the risk/reward - and it is a much higher risk drafting even where the Jets did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back